Best outdoor viewing areas on Zuiderdam (for scenic cruising, sail-in, sailaway)?

Turtles06

My wife and I will be taking our first HAL cruise next month, the Viking Passage on the Zuiderdam. (We are totally excited to be trying HAL, not to mention this amazing itinerary.)

I know the Zuiderdam has a traditional promenade deck (yay, I love those!), but I'm wondering where the best outdoor spots are on the upper decks for sailaways, sail-ins, scenic cruising. Is there, for example, a forward facing outdoor spot somewhere (would that be what the deck plan calls the "Observation Deck" on Deck 11)? Other spots?

Any chance the Captain might open up the bow area (would that be on Deck 6?) if we are fortunate enough to make it into Prinz Christian Sund, or for the scenic cruising of the fjords in Iceland?

I will definitely be spending a great deal of time exploring the ship, and I'm looking forward to doing so, but at least for that first sailaway, I thought I'd get a head start by asking where the best outdoor viewing spots are.

Thanks for any info!

Up on top of the Crows Nest (Deck 11) is a great spot, and the bow should be open while in the fjords, as well as the forward decks on 5, 6, 7, and 9. On our Viking Passage on the Eurodam apparently none of the Retreat Cabanas had been sold, and that area was open to everyone while in Prince Christian Sund.

I haven't been on the Zuiderdam yet (counting down the days till I do get to in Dec!)... but I have been on sister-ship Westerdam.

My favorite spot for the views was the aft pool area, they usually have plenty of seating (or you could stand at railing). In a close second is a seat in the front of the crows nest, this is indoors so no breeze in your hair, but with your destination this could be preferred. The specialty coffee is up in the crows nest area too, so that might nudge you there as well.

If you happen to buy a thermal suite pass the heated loungers offer floor to ceiling windows, but are only one side of the ship and policy is 20 or 30 min time limit to the loungers.

Enjoy the views & the voyage!

I'm partial to the "secret" forward facing decks at the front of Decks 5, 6 and 7 - great views!!!! However they may or may not be accessible based on weather conditions, especially if sailing into strong winds, or rough seas. The bow (when open) is nice but the sides can be rather high and it gets crowded. Barring those I agree that the aft pool deck area can have some spectacular views, plus it's close enough to nip into the Lido for a cuppa if you need warming!

I'm partial to the "secret" forward facing decks at the front of Decks 5, 6 and 7 - great views!!!! However they may or may not be accessible based on weather conditions, especially if sailing into strong winds, or rough seas.

Thanks to everyone who has responded.

Regarding those "secret":D forward facing decks on 5, 6, and 7, how does one access them if they are opened? From an interior forward hatch/door on those decks (if so, where)? Or...?

Thanks!

Thanks to everyone who has responded.

Regarding those "secret":D forward facing decks on 5, 6, and 7, how does one access them if they are opened? From an interior forward hatch/door on those decks (if so, where)? Or...?

Thanks!

Just walk forward to the end of the hall; there will be a door at the end of the hallway that opens to the forward deck. As mentioned previously, if it's windy, it does take a wee bit of effort to open the door. Please be considerate of occupants of nearby cabins and don't let the door slam shut.

Thanks everyone for the additional responses, and Essiesmom for the great photos. (I hope we have weather as good!) And, Alberta Quilter, don't worry, I'm not a door slammer! :D

BTW, are the doors leading to those forward areas on decks 5, 6, and 7 ever locked, or is the issue that sometimes it's just too windy or rough to be able to open them?

Thanks!