A Question for Copper 10-8

Hello.. any idea who the Captain, Cruise Director, Music Director, Beverage Mngr on The Eurodam sailing from Seattle - Hawaii- Vancouver 9/30/17? We sailed around Cape Horn with Capt. P. J. even had a chance to chat.. loved his sense of humor!! What a lovely cruise that was!!

A big request here. While I frequently do combinations of cruises this will be the first one that's all HAL. Key personnel for:

Oosterdam 1 day September 24

Amsterdam 4 day coastal September 26

and

Grand Asia October 1 (I'm just first leg but expect there will be some changes in San Diego

Prinsendam November 2 Transatlantic.

Thanks

Roy

Hello.. any idea who the Captain, Cruise Director, Music Director, Beverage Mngr on The Eurodam sailing from Seattle - Hawaii- Vancouver 9/30/17? We sailed around Cape Horn with Capt. P. J. even had a chance to chat.. loved his sense of humor!! What a lovely cruise that was!!

EUDM:

Capt Werner Timmers

CD Nicholas Reiersgard

BM Mario Jelic

Music in charge dude: Scott McCutceon

Always subject to change! Enjoy that trip to Hawaii

One can always hope; it's all about scheduling since they gave us two ships now. one ship - vac - 2nd ship - vac - back to 1st ship, etc. Kia ora Phil

Kia Ora, thanks for the explanation.

Re Maasdam November/December, Do you know who will be Captain, Hotel Manager, Dining Room Manager and Cruise Director?

Thank you for information on the Hawaii sailing. This is our first experience with many sea days and i know we will enjoy every moment of sailing. Hope the crew is OK to have all the passengers on board for so many days! I understand it is more work on sea days for the crew. Tried to give the stewards a day off in the past.. they keep on checking on us. HA has an awesome staff.

A big request here. While I frequently do combinations of cruises this will be the first one that's all HAL. Key personnel for:

Oosterdam 1 day September 24

Amsterdam 4 day coastal September 26

and

Grand Asia October 1 (I'm just first leg but expect there will be some changes in San Diego

Prinsendam November 2 Transatlantic.

Thanks

Roy

OK Roy, here we go

OSDM:

Capt Michiel Willems

HD Prem Kainikkara

CD Erin Duffey

DRM Iman Sugondo

BM Calin Nesinov

See you there!

AMDM

Capt Fred Eversen

HD Henk Mensink

CD Hamish Davis

DRM Philip Stolte

BM Jacques Louw

PRDM:

Capt. Ane Jan Smit

HD Cees Tesselaar

CD Linda Minnikin

DRM Suryana Syarif

BM Joanna Czarnolecka

ALways subject to change! Enjoy those almost two months!

Kia Ora, thanks for the explanation.

Re Maasdam November/December, Do you know who will be Captain, Hotel Manager, Dining Room Manager and Cruise Director?

Maasie:

Capt Bas van Dreumel

HD Colin Jacob

CD Simon Jukes

DRM Donny Dharmawan

Always subject to change! Enjoy Maasdam Phil

It seems you are everyone's go to guy. My questions are a little different. What is your dog's name? Does he go with you? You mentioned that you have never been on the Westerdam. What other ships have you not been on in the fleet? I know the security team varies from different classes of ships. About what is the average size team? Thanks for your input in advance.

Jo

It seems you are everyone's go to guy. My questions are a little different. What is your dog's name? Does he go with you? You mentioned that you have never been on the Westerdam. What other ships have you not been on in the fleet? I know the security team varies from different classes of ships. About what is the average size team? Thanks for your input in advance.

Jo

Hi Jo; The K-9 in the avatar's name was Wodan van Uiterhuis (think Norse mythology for the first name and ultra Dutch for the last name). He was a full-bread German shepherd, born and initially trained in Limburg, the southern-most province of the Netherlands. I became his handler with the police in Los Angeles County when he was three years old and, after attending a six-week handlers course in Riverside County, where I was taught how to become a K-9 handler along with Wodan at my side, worked with him for five years, still the best assignment in the PD, as far as I'm concerned. Wodan took his commands in Dutch, a language I already knew, having been born and raised there

He was, what is known as a "patrol dog" which meant he looked for, and many times found, bad guys who had committed felonies, and were hiding in buildings and/or in someone's back yard. He was also trained to locate items of evidence left behind by bad guys in a relatively large area such as guns, ammo, knives, etc. After he retired, the city sold him to me for $1. Unfortunately, after two years he developed hip dysplasia, which eventually severely affected his quality of life, so we (my wife and I) made the very hard decision to have him put down by our vet. Still the longest drive in my life!

Dogs/K-9s are not part of the security contingency on HAL ships, or any other cruise lines that I know of. The dogs you might see around cruise ships are either local, county, state, federal or military detection-trained dogs; detection meaning anything from narcotics, to agricultural products, to explosives. The cruise lines and/or ports also hire trained detection dogs from private organizations

I have been on a total of seventeen HAL ships incl. Nieuw Amsterdam III, Statendam and Ryndam no longer in the fleet. I have so far worked on nine ships, including one no longer in the fleet, m/s Statendam, Out of the current fleet, I have not yet worked on Veendam, Rotterdam, Zaandam, Westerdam, Prinsendam and Koningsdam

The size of the security team varies by size/class of the ships. I can't really get into the numbers, hope you understand

Have a nice weekend!

Maasie:

Capt Bas van Dreumel

HD Colin Jacob

CD Simon Jukes

DRM Donny Dharmawan

Always subject to change! Enjoy Maasdam Phil

Sounds like we may see you on the Sept 25 OSDM to Mexico from Vancouver? Hope so, have enjoyed reading your posts for so long is great to put a face to the person. Do you know who the PG Manager will be?

Thanks!

Sounds like we may see you on the Sept 25 OSDM to Mexico from Vancouver? Hope so, have enjoyed reading your posts for so long is great to put a face to the person. Do you know who the PG Manager will be?

Thanks!

Looking forward to meeting both of you in person, Frank

PG Mngr is scheduled to be Arlin Heinink

We have been loyal Hal Cruisers and though we recognize some Captain's and HD officers it does seem like a lot of turnovers among Cruise Directors.

Who are those guys/gals?:D

Cruise director, for the last ten years, has always been a high turnover position; it doesn't work out; they move elsewhere, internal changes within the entertainment dept, you name it

Hey Copper, checking on cell service on the 14 day Alaska on Amsterdam. I have Verizon, my wife at&t and a sprint mi fi hotspot. Your experiences knowing you just did this itinerary. Thanks in advance. Doug

Afternoon shipmate; I recently switched from Verizon to T-Mobile, and had no issues using my phone in all Alaskan ports, plus Seattle, plus Victoria, BC. All those ports have WiFi hot spots; just look for the crew congregating in certain areas ;p

Thanks for the reply! We always look for crew as they know the best spots for most things. Still wondering about Verizon v att v sprint. Any observations on fellow crew's usage, what they use or think works best? Trying not to bring too many devices, we travel light! Thanks