Almond Milk on board

berbician

On the standard special needs form (it seems pretty universal for RC) there is a place to request soy milk, lactose free milk, and vanilla ensure (for the ensure you have to request a specific number of 8oz cans for the trip) however I am sure that they would bring almond milk or at the very least allow you to bring it (since it is shelf stable before its open) and provide an actual refrigerator in the room for it.

There is also a space at the bottom for other special needs or allergies (food and non) with the disclaimer that RC will attempt to make reasonable accomodations for your needs, but that not all requests may be able to be accommodated

My wife has a dairy allergy and we have found that unless they carry an item on board they will not bring items on for an individual guest but will allow you to bring that item on.

Not doubting you at all, but that's an odd policy/business decision imo, I mean you can request a specific amount of ensure to be onboard allotted to you but can't request a gallon or two of almond milk? maybe they have the inside line on ensure but no connections to hook them up with almond milk lol

Not doubting you at all, but that's an odd policy/business decision imo, I mean you can request a specific amount of ensure to be onboard allotted to you but can't request a gallon or two of almond milk? maybe they have the inside line on ensure but no connections to hook them up with almond milk lol

Lots of seemingly odd policies. Even if they said they would provide it, if it’s that important I’d definitely bring my own. Doubt a “real” refrigerator will be provided but if OP brings smaller containers that don’t need refrigeration, it won’t be difficult to keep the container on ice once opened.

Lots of seemingly odd policies. Even if they said they would provide it, if it’s that important I’d definitely bring my own. Doubt a “real” refrigerator will be provided but if OP brings smaller containers that don’t need refrigeration, it won’t be difficult to keep the container on ice once opened.

Very true! There is a checkbox on the special needs form for refrigerator in cabin (under medication needs) I would hope that would mean they put an actual refrigerator in the cabin if it was checked, instead of the electric "cooler" that I'm assuming still comes standard in the cabins?

Very true! There is a checkbox on the special needs form for refrigerator in cabin (under medication needs) I would hope that would mean they put an actual refrigerator in the cabin if it was checked, instead of the electric "cooler" that I'm assuming still comes standard in the cabins?

Correct, that would be a medical refrigerator, so it will get cold, though it might not be as large as the standard cooler in the stateroom.

My youngest son has a dairy allergy and we had to simply ask for it and it was provided to us. After the first night in the MDR it was there waiting for us there after. Yes we did fill out the special request form before embarkation.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Dont count on it. Ive asked before to guest services months before cruise and it didnt happen. I understand too,its not a widely asked for product.

Btw why is it that he can only use almond milk? Is this a preferred thing or an allergy? Im assuming preferred as you did not mention otherwise. Many things I prefer that I just go without for a week.

Dont count on it. Ive asked before to guest services months before cruise and it didnt happen. I understand too,its not a widely asked for product.

Btw why is it that he can only use almond milk? Is this a preferred thing or an allergy? Im assuming preferred as you did not mention otherwise. Many things I prefer that I just go without for a week.

I hope at least they answer me that will be at least courtesy. He has an allergy and cannot use the regular milk. This is one that developed as he got older he is now 26.

I hope at least they answer me that will be at least courtesy. He has an allergy and cannot use the regular milk. This is one that developed as he got older he is now 26.

They do stock soy milk, can he use that?

They do stock soy milk, can he use that?

Don't know about the OP's son, but my daughter's friend was lactose intolerant, used soy milk, got soy intolerant:(. Also, some people are allergic to both dairy & soy

My DD is also lactose intolerant, although can have some dairy with Lactaid. For milk drinking, she's tried the different plant based milks, & prefers the almond over the others.

I received the below response in regards to Almond Milk. We shall see if this is accurate.

Good Evening,

Thank you for your e-mail.

We offer lactose free, Ensure, almond milk, soy milk, whole milk and skim milk onboard our ships.

You may bring shelf stable milk onboard, providing it is sealed and in original store bought packaging. Due to U.S. Public Health regulations, perishable foods and liquids are not permitted onboard.

Best regards,

Yavonna Thames-Harvey

Access Advocate

I received the below response in regards to Almond Milk. We shall see if this is accurate.

Good Evening,

Thank you for your e-mail.

We offer lactose free, Ensure, almond milk, soy milk, whole milk and skim milk onboard our ships.

You may bring shelf stable milk onboard, providing it is sealed and in original store bought packaging. Due to U.S. Public Health regulations, perishable foods and liquids are not permitted onboard.

Best regards,

Yavonna Thames-Harvey

Access Advocate

Thanks for reporting back. I'd bring a few paper copies of this onto the ship.

Thanks for getting back to us with their response on this, I actually have 2 sons who cannot drink cows milk and drank almond milk when they were toddlers, however they have "grown out" (at the wise old age of 3 and 6 lol) of drinking milk and about the only time they want it anymore is with cereal.

• 4 months later...

Thank you for this thread, and for the letter response on the almond milk! My husband has Parkinson's and has been told by the medical community that he needs to remove dairy from his diet. Since I am his care partner and do all the cooking, I have also gone dairy free. I have to say that I thought we would go kicking and screaming, and really miss and crave so many things ... but surprisingly we don't! We also feel better! We are sailing on the Harmony in May 2019, and this will be the first cruise since going dairy free, so I have been reading all of the threads. It's not so much that we want cartons of almond milk available. It's really more about all of the food that is prepared with dairy that we love, such as mashed potatoes, cream sauces, foods with cheese mixed in, etc. not to mention ice cream. I prepare foods at home using alternatives such as tofu, nut milks, coconuts, etc. and there are a number of non-dairy ice creams made with coconut, almond or cashew milks - Ben & Jerry's is one brand that has awesome non-dairy ice cream! I booked this cruise over the phone with an RCCL agent who very kindly placed a "non-dairy" notation next to our names (and it even displays on our confirmation). With so many people becoming vegan these days, not just for health reasons but for environmental reasons too, I am thinking that RCCL will begin incorporating more foods to accommodate the changing needs and preferences of their Guests. Perhaps by May 2019, the options will be a bit more plentiful so that we don't have to do without. But if that doesn't happen, we both realize that we will likely consume some dairy while on board unfortunately, since while cruising, it's important to us to make it as stress-free as possible!

Does anyone know if Almond Milk is an option.? I will be going on Adventure in March with DS who can only use Almond Milk. If not can I request this as an exception.? Thank You

We just sailed on the Anthem (6/9) and had the same "Dilemma" (I'll call it that since it's not really an allergy my kids have. Both boys had an aversion to something in regular dairy milk when they were smaller - didn't have the issue with almond milk). Now, they can drink regular fine, but wont touch anything but Almond Milk.

OK... I digress...

ANYWAY - we had made the mention when we booked the cruise initially, and they added it to the booking as a special need, but thats about where the note for that need stopped.

(This is in no way complaining)

We found we had to ask a number of times before it was gotten right, or understood.

Many times, we'd ask for almond milk in the Windjammer, and got glasses of Chocolate Milk a few times, and other times, we just had to repeat ourselves again and again before it was understood. I chalked it up to an uncommon request - but our server in the windjammer (Imade) was AWESOME and remembered it from the first night on - so dinner time wasn't an issue.

The bummer was really only being able to get it from the Windjammer, so the procedure was to go upstairs, and WASHY WASHY (if you've sailed on the Anthem recently and ate in the Windjammer, you'll get it), then track someone down to get a glass, and repeat as needed.

Sort of a hindrance - but what can you do? Maybe there's a better way to get it - but in my experience, you'll have to ask a few times.

Take a few cups from home, get a few, fill them up when they get a few glasses for you, and stick them in the fridge in your room (if you've got one).