Port Everglades - Directions around Port

Rebels82

Will be on Regal Sun leaving from Pier 2. We will be coming South on the Turnpike to 595E. I have read directions from 595E and they vary.

1. Can you stay on 595 and come into port without getting on Hwy 1?

2. If I need to get on 1 North, should I turn on the SE24th/Spangler Road or go up to SE17th and then on Eisenhower?

Thanks!

I honestly don't pay much attention to the actual roads as the signs are very clear from 595. There is a "Y" right at the 95 southbound exit - stay to the left and follow the signs to the Port.

You certainly do not have to go all the way North again to enter at the 17th Street port entrance. Keep in mind when you enter from the south side entrance you will be winding north and Pier 2 is at the very,very end. By coming in this way you get to view all the other ships in Port that day - which adds to the excitement!

Our last cruise was the first where we parked at the port. Our on board navigation systems kept trying to send us north on Hwy 1. I had studied the maps and knew you could get into the port from 595. I ignored the nav and found a much more direct way.

Also, last fall, google maps kept routing you onto Hwy 1. Now, it shows 595.

Was there some construction that extended access from 595 into the port without going onto Hwy 1?

Consult the official Port Everglades website (http://www.porteverglades.net) for lots of information including:

Port Everglades is easily accessible from all major highways:

• From I-95 south: take Exit #26 to I-595 East. Exit 12b, to Port Everglades.

• From I-95 north: take Exit #24 to I-595 East. Exit 12b, to Port Everglades.

• From I-75 north or south: take Exit #19 to I-595 East. Exit 12b, to Port Everglades

• From the Florida Turnpike north or south: take Exit #54 to I-595 East. Exit 12b, to Port Everglades.

For those who are already in the Fort Lauderdale area, the 17th Street or State Road 84 entrances may be more convenient. Signage inside Port Everglades will direct you to parking garages and terminals.

There have been a couple of weekends this season already where a Traffic Alert has been displayed on the website as soon as you log on. I would suggest you check a couple of days before arrival to see if there are any notices, especially ones directing you to (or away from) specific entrances.

Our last cruise was the first where we parked at the port. Our on board navigation systems kept trying to send us north on Hwy 1. I had studied the maps and knew you could get into the port from 595. I ignored the nav and found a much more direct way.

Also, last fall, google maps kept routing you onto Hwy 1. Now, it shows 595.

Was there some construction that extended access from 595 into the port without going onto Hwy 1?

There has been a lot of construction on 595 over the past few years. Unless you have an updated GPS you can easily get misdirected. In addition, the south runway airport extension has also had an impact on US1 and 595.

There has been a lot of construction on 595 over the past few years. Unless you have an updated GPS you can easily get misdirected. In addition, the south runway airport extension has also had an impact on US1 and 595.

Google maps actually shows some construction equipment near the east end of 595. Just wasn't sure that was the problem. Probably do need to update the GPS.

The nav directed me off of the turnpike and onto 95 about an hour or so north of FLL. I looked at the map when I got back and found I could continue on the turnpike all the way to 595 which I much prefered. I'm slowly accumulating Florida highway knowledge.

Just goes to show that a wise traveller consults several different maps and does not completely rely upon the car nav systems.

Edited by RocketMan275

Thanks for your replys. I read all of the info above from the Port website....it looks like (may not be actually) that taking exit 12B is to merger onto US 1 N.

Seems like we can take 595 and read signs to Port.

As you are coming east from the turnpike, you will pass exits for

I-95 N & S; Fll Airport / US1 South and then US1 North.

Just stay left, and take no exit.

The left two lanes if I-595 go right into the port.

There is a new bridge that you will cross which

cuts out a lot of local congestion.

You will have to pass through port security; just

show government issued picture id; then proceed about 1/2 mile

into the port, and then turn left.

You are entering at the southernmost entrance, and berth 2

is at the north end of the port.

Don't worry. There are plenty of signs with Ship Name, and arrows

to help you.

Also, when you enter the port, the guard will give rudimentary directions.

You will be able to see Regal from 595, so that will give you a general idea.

Edited by pablo222

Thanks for your replys. I read all of the info above from the Port website....it looks like (may not be actually) that taking exit 12B is to merger onto US 1 N.

Seems like we can take 595 and read signs to Port.

If you want to go to the trouble, you can use google maps (or any other on line map function with a street level view) to preview the route into the port. You can see the turns, etc.

The nav directed me off of the turnpike and onto 95 about an hour or so north of FLL. I looked at the map when I got back and found I could continue on the turnpike all the way to 595 which I much prefered. I'm slowly accumulating Florida highway knowledge.

Your nav system is probably set to prefer free to toll roads. Of course the trucks do this a lot, so you might actually see less traffic taking the toll road.

If you take the US1 north exit and turn right on to SE 17th St, and then turn right on to Eisenhower, you can enter terminal 2 without having to stop at the security checkpoint. Might or might not be worth it, depending on how busy the port is that day.

Your nav system is probably set to prefer free to toll roads. Of course the trucks do this a lot, so you might actually see less traffic taking the toll road.

My nav doesn't have that choice. Perhaps the Interstate was a tad shorter or faster. Regardless, we find the turnpike is preferable since there is slightly less traffic.

BTW, just updated my Sunpass to cover the fares for our next trip to FLL.

Can you take 595 to Eller and go into terminal 18 that way?

Where are toll roads?

I will be coming from Best Western on Stirling and dropping off part of our group then returning the car to the airport. What is my best way?

Thanks

Jan

If one can follow the signs, there is no issue to driving into Port Everglades other than possible drivers who are not so able.

The entrance to the Port from I-595 is simple. Once on I-595 Eastbound from I-95 and probably from the Turnpike, one does have to keep moving left from one lane to another. But, signs give ample warning. Drive the speed limit or slightly less, take your time, read the signs, and don't stress!

Not sure where to go once you are at the security check-point? The men and women there will point you in the right direction.

If one can follow the signs, there is no issue to driving into Port Everglades other than possible drivers who are not so able.

The entrance to the Port from I-595 is simple. Once on I-595 Eastbound from I-95 and probably from the Turnpike, one does have to keep moving left from one lane to another. But, signs give ample warning. Drive the speed limit or slightly less, take your time, read the signs, and don't stress!

Not sure where to go once you are at the security check-point? The men and women there will point you in the right direction.

Absolutely correct. I drove it today. You will pass the airport on your right, followed by the Airport/Route 1 South exit. Immediately after are the signs for Port Everglades above the 2 left lanes and for Fort Lauderdale above the 2 right lanes. The most direct route into Port Everglades is staying in the left 2 lanes but should you get confused and end up in the direction of Fort Lauderdale, you can enter the Port by taking a right turn at State Road 84.

Edited by capriccio