QM2 not up to the standards presented

Nclbella

We are just off the QM 2 this morning, and it is not what we expected.

Very disappointed. The food in the buffet is completely like a bad cafeteria. Workers handed us plastic trays with paper napkins and paper packaged salt and pepper.

The buffet is also very ric-rac, small cramped areas and old furniture.

Outside are stacked plastic lightweight chairs.

Not to mention the broken wooden chairs that fall apart if you move them.

Half of the deck 8 has nice wooden loungers with cushions, the other half has cheap rusted white and green chairs. Carnival at its best? Probably......

In the end if one wants to have a presence, it is only as good as what is presented. In other words, telling all to dress up, and have mediocre surroundings does not fit the bill.

Extremely disappointed in the cruise, and the line as a whole.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Also, the dining room did not have the service it upheld.

Because of other passengers that told us their reviews, we did not go.

We were told no one refilled the water, no one asked for drinks, and it took forever between courses......

We went to TE every night. Good, pricey and sometimes too rich tasting.

Not enough choices on the boat for food.

They only had the American Bistro as the alt dining venue........each night.

More to come......

Very disappointed. The food in the buffet is completely like a bad cafeteria. Workers handed us plastic trays with paper napkins and paper packaged salt and pepper.

Half of the deck 8 has nice wooden loungers with cushions, the other half has cheap rusted white and green chairs. Carnival at its best? Probably......

In the end if one wants to have a presence, it is only as good as what is presented. In other words, telling all to dress up, and have mediocre surroundings does not fit the bill.

We were just off this cruise this AM also. I think my expectations were way too high from all the things I read here. While I enjoyed myself simply because I love to cruise, I was disappointed. I thought the food was mediocre at best. The dinner menus were not very enticing. Our waiters were the worst we have ever had on any cruise. We tried to engage them in conversation and got nowhere with that. Our service was very slow. I did have an enjoyable experience in the spa. Our room was cleaned promptly except for one day. All in all we probably won't be back. Didn't feel it was worth the cost. We could have done a week on another line for what we paid for this short cruise.

Linda

Hi Nclbella. Sorry you were disappointed. You mentioned Deck 8 and the difference in the deck chairs. A few of the Cabins on Deck 8 are Grills category, so their accommodations differ to the increase in fare. Most of the balcony cabins on Deck 8 are Britannia category, and the 2 deck chairs are some form of fire-resistant resin/plastic with a small round light weight metal table. As far as I know, that is the norm for furnishings on all Britannia Category balconies.

But if you are referencing Deck 7 - the Promenade Deck - then it is indeed sad to hear that the traditional teak deck chairs have been replaced by plastic deck chairs.

Regarding the food service in Kings Court - was the ship on Code Red? Because what you describe has not been the norm, except when the ship was trying to suppress the Creepy Noro.

Anyway, thanks for your report. Would appreciate more info about your voyage. Thanks, Salacia

Edited by Salacia

We were just off this cruise this AM also. I think my expectations were way too high from all the things I read here. While I enjoyed myself simply because I love to cruise, I was disappointed. I thought the food was mediocre at best. The dinner menus were not very enticing. Our waiters were the worst we have ever had on any cruise. We tried to engage them in conversation and got nowhere with that. Our service was very slow. I did have an enjoyable experience in the spa. Our room was cleaned promptly except for one day. All in all we probably won't be back. Didn't feel it was worth the cost. We could have done a week on another line for what we paid for this short cruise.

Linda

Hi Linda. I agree with you that you could havee done a week on another cruise line for what you paid for that 5 night cruise on QM2.

You mentioned "We tried to engage them in conversation and got nowhere with that. Our service was very slow." Please take into consideration the the number of tables that the waiters serve has been increased, so they have little time to engage in conversation with passengers...the time passengers occupate the waiters in conversation, delays the service at the next table - which results in a further lack of time for conversation and slow service complaints.

I wasn't on board, but I suspect the focus of the Captain and the crew was more directed to the hurricane rather to amenities - that storm sure got my attention.

Best wishes on your next voyage,

Salacia

Edited by Salacia

We were told no one refilled the water, no one asked for drinks, and it took forever between courses......

More to come......

These 3 to 5 day mini trips are often disappointing as has been reported on here ad nauseam. Assuming that new passengers have done some research it should be easy for them to find the relevant threads. I must ask how the OP can make the highlighted statement when they didn't personally experience it. Considering that the trip was to celebrate July 4th, is it surprising that the dining venue was an American Bistro? I've never seen it or heard of on any of my QM2 trips so I think that it may have been specially created for the famously eclectic American palates.

When we were onboard The American Bistro is tucked away in the corner of kings court and served burgers, hotdogs, curley fries etc

OK, I didn't realise that counter had a name. I have seen it before but have never considered it to be a dining venue. Maybe they didn't do Lotus or the other "usual" ones for some reason.

I also came off this voyage and will address a few points. One, the promenade teak loungers are still there. The green cushions were replaced with blue ones bearing the Cunard logo on the headrests.

Yes, there was a Noro alert - all the table games on deck 2 leading to Illuminations had been removed.

I cannot address the dining issue as I was in the PG. Kings Court was however Kings Chaos and I won't dine there. I'll agree that this is one area of the ship the really detracts from the experience. According to reports the entire area is to be ripped out and re-done in the 2015 refit.

I cannot address the dining issue as I was in the PG. Kings Court was however Kings Chaos and I won't dine there. I'll agree that this is one area of the ship the really detracts from the experience. According to reports the entire area is to be ripped out and re-done in the 2015 refit.

I will believe that when I see it!!!! For years Cunard has talked about replacing/reovating the King Court, it has had 'challenges' since it was launched in 2014!

Hi Nclbella. Sorry you were disappointed. You mentioned Deck 8 and the difference in the deck chairs. A few of the Cabins on Deck 8 are Grills category, so their accommodations differ to the increase in fare. Most of the balcony cabins on Deck 8 are Britannia category, and the 2 deck chairs are some form of fire-resistant resin/plastic with a small round light weight metal table. As far as I know, that is the norm for furnishings on all Britannia Category balconies.

But if you are referencing Deck 7 - the Promenade Deck - then it is indeed sad to hear that the traditional teak deck chairs have been replaced by plastic deck chairs.

Regarding the food service in Kings Court - was the ship on Code Red? Because what you describe has not been the norm, except when the ship was trying to suppress the Creepy Noro.

Anyway, thanks for your report. Would appreciate more info about your voyage. Thanks, Salacia

Hi Salacia,

I was referring to deck 8 aft, the terrace pool area. It seemed very odd to have half very nice loungers and half not.

It was disappointing to sit on that deck after having a fantastic meal at Todd English and have a drink in the open air and sit on stackable plastic, not even resin, chairs in my nice dress. I found that to be extremely tacky.

It appears that American Bistro is one of the rotating Alternative Dining venues (e.g., Thai, Indian) although apparently it didn't rotate.

Anyway, enjoy Norwegian.

Edited by Underwatr

OK, I didn't realise that counter had a name. I have seen it before but have never considered it to be a dining venue. Maybe they didn't do Lotus or the other "usual" ones for some reason.

I know it as The Chef's Galley

Burgers/Dogs/Toasted Sandwiches

Edited by Pennbank

These 3 to 5 day mini trips are often disappointing as has been reported on here ad nauseam. Assuming that new passengers have done some research it should be easy for them to find the relevant threads. I must ask how the OP can make the highlighted statement when they didn't personally experience it. Considering that the trip was to celebrate July 4th, is it surprising that the dining venue was an American Bistro? I've never seen it or heard of on any of my QM2 trips so I think that it may have been specially created for the famously eclectic American palates.

I can make the highlighted statement because I clearly mentioned that those we spoke with had horrible experiences, as I stated in the next sentence.

Yes, I agree that the American Bistro is a fitting choice given the voyage, but all 3 nights the alternative dining was offered? When we booked the trip, the Cunard representative said it transforms into different choices each night opened. Contrary to what many people think, all Americans do not want to sit in their formal clothes eating ribs and sliders.

We were lucky to eat in Todd English each night of our voyage, and the service was impeccable.

... We were lucky to eat in Todd English each night of our voyage ...
There aren't many well-experienced/repeat Cunard passengers who would call eating at Todd English each night "lucky".

It was excellent at first, but the food and standard of cooking has gone downhill recently. My last few visits (2011, 2012, 2013, 2014) have been disappointing to be frank.

In May '14 one passenger wanted a "blue" steak (the Britannia Restaurant had done this perfectly a couple of nights previously), Todd English presented it "rare". It was sent back for a second try.

I find the service there to be overbearing and obsequious. At one point I said to one steward "if one of you comes to the table once more to ask if "everything is alright" I shall walk out and won't expect to be charged". This was after being asked this question at least three times with each course. They try too hard.

On the other hand, my personal experience of the service in the Britannia Restaurant (over many voyages since 2006) is 99% "superb". I'd give the food and presentation 95%.

But we all have different tastes (thank goodness). For example I'd have to be paid (a very great deal) to go anywhere near a Disney floating theme-park.

Best wishes and happy sailings for the future :) .

Nclbella, thank you for your honest, forthright posting.

From reading comments on CC, my impression has also been that many people find the shorter voyages disappointing, Capnpugwash.

I do wonder if some of the substandard service Nclbella experienced in the Britannia was due to crew members being infected with the norovirus. Certainly, it sounds like the ship was using precautions in the King's Court. Perhaps, there were less servers, in number, in the MDR because of illness and the consequence was experienced as poor service.

My member review of the May 9th crossing also noted water glasses were not refilled for the first few days of our voyage and then, magically, service improved tremendously. I speculated a diminished number of waitstaff could have been the explanation.

I have posted previously with comments about poor service on the QM2. I have observed issues related to uninformed clerks at the pursers desk, overworked stewards, and--in general-- poor communication from Cunard (although communication seems to have improved in the last year).

When staff is undertrained and overworked, the outcome is poorer service for passengers. .

My member review gave my last voyage a top rating, nonetheless. ….Why? Mainly because, I have different expectations, so I wasn't disappointed.

The reasons my husband and I love the QM2 are many. We love the physical ship. We love where she has taken us (Peru! Chile! Brazil! Southampton : ) We love the congenial atmosphere in which to meet fellow travelers--many from different countries. We love the daytime lectures.

We don't expect to be pampered. We don't expect extraordinary cuisine. We expect reasonable service and good (not necessarily great) food.

I'm not saying your expectations were wrong, Nclbella. Touting service is part of Cunard's sales pitch. ...I'm just explaining why I have been satisfied when you (quite rightfully) were not.

I have never meant my enthusiasm for the QM2 to mislead anyone. DH and I do, unabashedly, love the ol' tug ; ) But, we have traveled on her, not just sailed. For us, she does mean travel, which has been very satisfying--so much above an empty water glass at dinner or an ill-informed pursers clerk..

DH and I book economical inside cabins and don't expect the same food and service that the Grill passengers should be getting. That level of service doesn't interest us. If it did, we would book a Grill stateroom.

I agree Cunard should put more effort into WOWing passengers on the shorter voyages---many short-duration itineraries attract first-time customers. I agree there seems to be cost-saving strategies by which they are shooting themselves in the foot, creating ill-will and negative impressions.

Please submit a full member review to Cruise Critic to voice your experience. I do believe Cunard is interested in feedback (what smart business wouldn't be!) I do believe constructive criticism can bring about positive changes.

More to come......

Wow ! Not dining at all in the MDR because of what a few others commented about service , then choosing TE $$$$ every night instead ?

That's a first time hearing that for me (a TA for 17+ years).

Hey , it's not a "Boat" !

Agreed , the QM2 , although my favorite ship , does not meet the luxury hype (outside the QG) , and the short 5 nighter during a hurricane is a poor

1st experience .

Way back before my first cruise I realized for about the same money I could have a Britannia Club balcony for the July 4 cruise or a deck 5 sheltered balcony for the longer autumn New England-Canada cruise. More than one here cautioned that the shorter cruise tends not to be as rewarding as a cruse of a week or more. I opted for the 9-day sailing and have been hooked ever since.

I will believe that when I see it!!!! For years Cunard has talked about replacing/reovating the King Court, it has had 'challenges' since it was launched in 2014!

She entered service in 2004.

As for Kings Court, a member who had been on the Inside Tour quoted the Hotel Director: "He said that he cannot wait for the ship to go into dry dock for it’s next refit, .. specifically, that big changes are coming on deck 7. He said that 'The Kings Court Buffet lets the ship down and is a source of frustration for the food and beverage team. The Kings Court Buffet area will be gutted and reworked completely during the refit.' ”

Given the source, I'd consider that pretty credible. Even those of us who love QM2 find this area to be an embarrassment. To me it's like an employee cafeteria only without the cash register.

I don't know how you can make that statement either, since, by your own admission, you never ate there.

Plus, other people that don't like something tend to (i.e. always) make a big song and dance about it and tell anyone who'll listen. Those who are happy don't say very much. That's why the internet is full of bad reviews: If you like something you'll tell a couple of people, but if you don't like something you'll tell the entire world !

So I would not have not gone to the MDR just because the loudest moaners told me how bad it was.

I don't know how you can make that statement either, since, by your own admission, you never ate there.

Plus, other people that don't like something tend to (i.e. always) make a big song and dance about it and tell anyone who'll listen. Those who are happy don't say very much. That's why the internet is full of bad reviews: If you like something you'll tell a couple of people, but if you don't like something you'll tell the entire world !

So I would not have not gone to the MDR just because the loudest moaners told me how bad it was.

I also did not go because of the menu. It was not appealing, and had 3 vegetarian entrees each night.

The people we spoke with shared other interests with us, upon having conversations with them, so I valued their opinion.

ETA: there were also nuts in a lot of the entrees, and my husband is allergic to tree nuts, so it severely limited our choices.

I do not understand why this is being picked out of my comments, maybe you care to defend the stackable plastic chairs? The Kings Court? The mismatched furniture?

Edited by Nclbella

It appears that American Bistro is one of the rotating Alternative Dining venues (e.g., Thai, Indian) although apparently it didn't rotate.

Anyway, enjoy Norwegian.

Thank you, actually I am a Celebrity fan.

Enjoy your Carnival experience, apparently it has taken 10 years for them to ruin Cunard. Happy sailing.:)

Given that the original poster wouldn't even try the Britannia main dining room for a single meal, I don't see how they have any standard by which to judge it other than hearsay. Paying extra for eating in Todd English doesn't necessarily make it a better venue for all possible dinners. I think there's some sentiment that if you pay more for something it's ipso facto better. It's hard to tell from the posting, but where did they eat breakfast and lunch? Was it in the much-maligned (and perhaps rightly) King's Court?

Maybe we are unfussy "cheapskates" :D but I'd sure want to try out and experience first hand what we've already paid for (main dining room) before opting to pay extra every night to eat elsewhere. We were very happy with Britannia dining 2 years ago, but I'm sure things can change, and perhaps even change from voyage to voyage in terms of service if there is short staffing. We were on our first ever ocean voyage (transatlantic crossing) so have no other comparison, but liked the food, atmosphere and service in the Britannia so well that we had not only dinners but most breakfasts and lunches there as well. We're doing a crossing again this October, so will see if we still like it as much.

There aren't many well-experienced/repeat Cunard passengers who would call eating at Todd English each night "lucky".

It was excellent at first, but the food and standard of cooking has gone downhill recently. My last few visits (2011, 2012, 2013, 2014) have been disappointing to be frank.

In May '14 one passenger wanted a "blue" steak (the Britannia Restaurant had done this perfectly a couple of nights previously), Todd English presented it "rare". It was sent back for a second try.

I find the service there to be overbearing and obsequious. At one point I said to one steward "if one of you comes to the table once more to ask if "everything is alright" I shall walk out and won't expect to be charged". This was after being asked this question at least three times with each course. They try too hard.

On the other hand, my personal experience of the service in the Britannia Restaurant (over many voyages since 2006) is 99% "superb". I'd give the food and presentation 95%.

But we all have different tastes (thank goodness). For example I'd have to be paid (a very great deal) to go anywhere near a Disney floating theme-park.

Best wishes and happy sailings for the future :) .

Compared to the alternative, we did consider ourselves lucky. Perhaps we had a different experience because Todd English himself was on board and made sure everything was perfect?

To each his own, we never felt overly attended to. Actually service that we experienced throughout the ship was wonderful.

Do you actually know anything about a Disney ship? It is modeled after old time ships, beautifully decorated. The ships we go on have 2 adult only restaurants that are impeccable. It is soooooo far from a floating theme park. But only someone of your obvious ignorance would choose to judge otherwise.

Plus I have 2 small children and sometimes you have to keep them in mind when booking vacations.

I can actually spot a major difference in clientele given the impression you have portrayed here. If someone went on the Celebrity Cruise forum and posted a disappointing review I would never look at their signature and question a line that they have been on. This has been done to me twice, and I can't help but feel it has been done as a deliberate dig to me. You have no idea who I am, how much money I have, what I like or do not like. I simply posted that I was disappointed in my experience.

I do not understand why this is being picked out of my comments,

I would have thought it was obvious. Because you said :

And

I can make the highlighted statement because I clearly mentioned that those we spoke with had horrible experiences,

I've re-read all you comments and you had not, until you last post, said anything about the menu not being appealing (with 3 veggy options etc). You've now come up with that reason after being challenged.

Given that the original poster wouldn't even try the Britannia main dining room for a single meal, I don't see how they have any standard by which to judge it other than hearsay. Paying extra for eating in Todd English doesn't necessarily make it a better venue for all possible dinners. I think there's some sentiment that if you pay more for something it's ipso facto better. It's hard to tell from the posting, but where did they eat breakfast and lunch? Was it in the much-maligned (and perhaps rightly) King's Court?

Maybe we are unfussy "cheapskates" :D but I'd sure want to try out and experience first hand what we've already paid for (main dining room) before opting to pay extra every night to eat elsewhere. We were very happy with Britannia dining 2 years ago, but I'm sure things can change, and perhaps even change from voyage to voyage in terms of service if there is short staffing. We were on our first ever ocean voyage (transatlantic crossing) so have no other comparison, but liked the food, atmosphere and service in the Britannia so well that we had not only dinners but most breakfasts and lunches there as well. We're doing a crossing again this October, so will see if we still like it as much.

So do you ever read reviews on restaurants, hotels, cruise lines, etc and make decisions on whether or not to go there based on those reviews? Seriously? I guess that would be considered heresay, so I guess not. I do count others opinions and in no way do I want to take a chance and have a bad meal.

We ate breakfast in the Kings Court, and lunch we had during the tea time, if you must know.

I would never think of anyone as a cheapskate for not paying money to dine in a specialty restaurant. I don't judge, that's not my style, although I wish I could say the same about this forum.

Also, please see my post a few above of why else we did not eat in Brittainia.

Happy sailing! To each his own!