Just off the Dawn (itinerary changed from Bermuda to Canada)

welove2cruise2014

Activities:

We spent a fair amount of time in the cabin so were glad we had the balcony suite for that reason. We spent time out and about together but occasionally "traded off" where one of us would stay with our daughter while the other was out on the ship or ashore. We knew when planning the trip that this would be the reality... no "nights out" just the 2 of us on this cruise!

I got the Thermal Spa pass and enjoyed it in the evenings while my husband stayed in with our daughter. I loved the new heated tile loungers. I liked that the seating area between the pool and loungers was set up like a conversation area.* The way I remember it before it was like rows of chairs lined up all facing one way... just seemed awkward. There were never more than half a dozen or so people in there at any given time, it seemed.

In hindsight, had I known how nice the weather was going to be, I may not have gotten the pass. I got it as kind of a "just in case", for cooler weather. It was great though, nice to escape for a while :)

I spent some time by the pool in the afternoons. Mostly in the area of the risers up to Deck 13. Busy but I never had trouble finding a seat. I didn't get to take advantage of the new "sunbeds" or the wicker seats set up along the ledges of the pool... although they did look quite comfortable.* I never had a problem getting drink service at my seat. But not everyone shared that experience, apparently.* I heard someone complaining that the bar line was too long and "they should have more staff walking around taking drink orders; they should be bending over backwards to make it up to us".

I went to the comedy show (Jim Colliton), funny but kind of rolling my eyes at the ship/cruise/itinerary jokes.

My husband enjoyed the magic show and we all liked Jose and Patti's shows in the Atrium. My daughter loved dancing to the music :)

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

Do you recall how much they were charging for the Thermal Spa pass? It sounds like something I'd enjoy. Any tips regard it?

It was about $180. I think I got had though, lol... looks like the pass itself was $159 but "came with" 3 little DIY body scrub kits.

It's certainly not the ultra chic facility as on the larger ships but still beautiful and peaceful. There is a traditional jacuzzi, regular pool for swimming (less than 4" deep if I recall), and a thalassotherapy hot tub. Also a nice seating area, and a row of heated tile loungers at the large floor to ceiling windows (which actually angle out over the top of the ship overlooking the wake, which you can see in the upper left in this pic I took from our balcony.)

The womens locker room had steam and sauna rooms, and shower facilities. Plenty of towels and robes provided, but the robes weren't as nice / plush as the ones in our stateroom! Also a separate quiet/relaxation room with the large floor to ceiling windows as well. Not certain what facilities the men's area had.

20180915_220917.thumb.jpg.43e4add577ab24290e8bea1c604bc6aa.jpg

A couple of things about the kids menu. The menu itself, meaning the items printed on the menu, are consistent throughout all of the restaurants onboard. However when it came to actually what was available... totally different story.

Breakfast for kids was choice of pastry, plus fruit, plus main (scrambled eggs or banana pancakes). The scrambled eggs were runny and our daughter didn't care for the pancakes.

The inconsistency came at lunch and dinner time. Choices were burger, hot dog, mac and cheese, chicken tenders and fries, or a mini pizza. The few times we ordered mac and cheese, at different places, the consistency was different each time (and as those with little ones know, that could make a huge difference as to whether they will eat it or not lol). I tried to order her a mini pizza at O'Sheehans... they said they "couldn't do it", and that mac and cheese would be somewhat of a special order.

I found out pretty quick that when my kids were hungry, they ate what I served them...

Good luck.

Edited by PTC DAWG

We've never been to Bermuda and our only other cruise was to Canada last year! Still, we had a wonderful, relaxed time. Couldn't believe people were complaining about being on a cruise ship no matter what!

It's a shame you missed your trip to Bermuda and I hope that you get that trip soon in your future.

You have a wonderful attitude about the change to your itinerary, and, I love what you posted about your DH!!! Stay safe and well!

Activities:

We spent a fair amount of time in the cabin so were glad we had the balcony suite for that reason. We spent time out and about together but occasionally "traded off" where one of us would stay with our daughter while the other was out on the ship or ashore. We knew when planning the trip that this would be the reality... no "nights out" just the 2 of us on this cruise!

I got the Thermal Spa pass and enjoyed it in the evenings while my husband stayed in with our daughter. I loved the new heated tile loungers. I liked that the seating area between the pool and loungers was set up like a conversation area.* The way I remember it before it was like rows of chairs lined up all facing one way... just seemed awkward. There were never more than half a dozen or so people in there at any given time, it seemed.

In hindsight, had I known how nice the weather was going to be, I may not have gotten the pass. I got it as kind of a "just in case", for cooler weather. It was great though, nice to escape for a while :)

I spent some time by the pool in the afternoons. Mostly in the area of the risers up to Deck 13. Busy but I never had trouble finding a seat. I didn't get to take advantage of the new "sunbeds" or the wicker seats set up along the ledges of the pool... although they did look quite comfortable.* I never had a problem getting drink service at my seat. But not everyone shared that experience, apparently.* I heard someone complaining that the bar line was too long and "they should have more staff walking around taking drink orders; they should be bending over backwards to make it up to us".

I went to the comedy show (Jim Colliton), funny but kind of rolling my eyes at the ship/cruise/itinerary jokes.

My husband enjoyed the magic show and we all liked Jose and Patti's shows in the Atrium. My daughter loved dancing to the music :)

It is awesome how you made the best of the change and were able to enjoy your trip! It's also great that you detailed the way you were able to include your daughter (and the things that worked for you). While we are WAY past that stage, one of our grandchildren is 2, so I can appreciate how helpful your info might be to other parents. Thank you for your review... you did a great job with it!

It is awesome how you made the best of the change and were able to enjoy your trip! It's also great that you detailed the way you were able to include your daughter (and the things that worked for you). While we are WAY past that stage, one of our grandchildren is 2, so I can appreciate how helpful your info might be to other parents. Thank you for your review... you did a great job with it!
Thank you! I did it to hopefully help others, as these boards were so helpful in our planning stages - and also to help fend off that post-cruise depression that kicked in once we got home!!

(We all know the other way to fend that off... book another cruise! That's next on my list...)

I will have some final thoughts in the next couple of days.

I thought those of you who were on the the dawn to Halifax might get a kick out of this.

It is a Canadian Satirical news show ( comedy)

I hope you can see it and appreciate the east coast humor. Start the video at the 3:58 minute mark. I hope you can view it.

https://watch.cbc.ca/share/episode/38e815a-00f697814af

Understandable. And I admit to slight disappointment myself at first. But it was the people who used it as an excuse to complain about EVERYTHING, up until and including the last day, that I was referring to. I mean no offense to anyone and realize that everyone has their own views, this is simply my personal take on things.

I heard a story of a couple that literally got off the boat in one of the Canadian ports, went home, did laundry, and got back on board. Yep, that would have been a bit surreal and not what I signed up for either!

Was on this cruise. They could have been the couple adjacent to our cabin. Their son met them at the pier, they went home and did laundry, then went out to lunch.They were from Dartmouth, across the bay. Said they had never visited the port area, so had a good day! Personally, we had been to Bermuda seven times, so the change in itinerary was a blessing for us, as we had always wanted to do the NE/Canada run.

So just a few final thoughts.

We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. While I thought the entertainment options onboard were certainly "adequate", I do feel as though the Dawn is a bit tired in this regard. I get that it's not a megaship... but looking at show options available on other NCL ships vs Dawn, I wonder if this isn't an opportunity for them to perhaps draw a different demographic to the ship.

Or, perhaps I have no idea what I am talking about and should just leave this all to TPTB at NCL that do this for a living. Lol.

We would book Dawn again if the circumstances presented themselves. Will probably always be a favorite. Also willing to consider other Boston/NY ported NCL ships like Gem or Encore for our next cruise.

We were on this sailing as well. I booked a couple months ago, planned to go solo. After a big struggle to get time off the spouse decided to go as well since neither of us had been to Bermuda. He booked the Tuesday before sailing, literally hours after getting home from a trip to Canada! Found out about the itin change maybe 10pm on Thursday just as we were starting to pack. Very aware of hurricane season and had been watching the storm so it wasn't a big surprise.

We made the best of it and in general had a great time. It was my first time on Dawn, his second. Ate in Moderno, O'Sheehan's, the buffet, Aqua, Venetian. Enjoyed Elements, the comedian, karaoke, game shows, and especially the Hotwire band! NCL crew great as always.

My only complaint was something was 'off' in general...attitude of the passengers about the itin change-whether joking or truly complaining-just really hung a cloud over the entire trip for me.

We were on the Escape the same week you were on the Dawn, sure wish Jose and Patti were on our ship, it would have helped make things better

You mean the music duo? Would have loved to have them, closest thing we got to entertainment was 70 disco music, We just got off the gem is was like an holland america crowd, ncl even played old boring horrific music everywhere to accommodate.

Right you are! We saw that complainer getting kicked out of Le Bistro for wearing shorts, one of the things that he was complaining about, and he said that he had cruised with Norwegian many times. Has he still not learned the dress code? He thought that he was entitled because "he had stayed in the Garden Villa in the past."

oh my

Edited by Newleno
Realized potential error

The poor guy probably was packed for bermuda and did not have any pants, NCL should have made an accommodation. Certainly no guest would care.

Nothing to do with destination, long pants in le Bistro and more formal MDR are required dress for men no matter where you're headed.

I've found that if someone is in a bad mood, they'll complain no matter how small the issue. It's unfortunate b/c it really can ruin your cruise, a good attitude is important.