Pre Cruise Hotel for Barcelona

This is my first time cruising in Europe and I'm trying to find a hotel in Barcelona for Oct 1st sailing of the Vista.

I don't know where to start it's so overwhelming.

I'm just asking for ideas on what to do and where the best area is to stay. Also what is a fair price

We have done a couple of weekend breaks from England and stayed at the Hotel Hesperia Ramblas, which is just off las Ramblas near the the Boqueria market. Great hotel, modern clean with very friendly staff.

Last time we stayed there pre cruise. When we got back off the ship at the end of the cruise, they let us use the hotel for the day at no charge as we had a late evening flight home.

This time post cruise, the Hesperia is fully booked when we are there, so we are staying at the Hotel Lleo, which a couple of cruise mates have stayed in before and have recommended it.

Problem is like any major city there are literally 100's to choose from

Don't rule out using airbnb. We did this in Krakow and it was fantastic. Gave us at least a little bit of a feeling of what it used to be to live like a Commie :)

Also - Booking.com has a good selection of hotels and apartments. We got an apartment in Barcelona, near Placa Espanya. Other good spots to look around to stay in Barcelona is along La Rambla as well as Placa Catalunya.

For us at least, by booking apartments, it took a little sterility out of the stay. If you like the comfort of a hotel they may not be the best but otherwise we'll be doing a lot of apartment adventures when we travel in the future.

Edited by fuddrules

This is my first time cruising in Europe and I'm trying to find a hotel in Barcelona for Oct 1st sailing of the Vista.

I don't know where to start it's so overwhelming.

I'm just asking for ideas on what to do and where the best area is to stay. Also what is a fair price

Jump over to the roll call, quite a few of are stopping over before getting on board.

Us, we aren't as flying in on the day and being taken straight to the ship.

We're a friendly bunch so pop over and say hi if you've not already done so.

We stayed at Ramblas 102. They are apartments right across the street from the Boqueria Market. Right in the heart of everything but with all of the conveniences of an apartment (washer/dryer, full kitchen, etc.) with costs that were comparable with area hotels. We loved it!

Wee on the same cruise as you and are staying at the Tryp Apollo for a couple of days pre cruise, we booked it through Carnival and got a nice discount on the cost. If you haven't already joined the roll call, you should, a group of us are getting together for dinner on the September 30. Also, we booked an excursion for the morning of that will pick us up at our hotel and drop us off at the dock.

We have booked Barcelona Universal hotel as has great reviews and close to Port. Rooftop pool and bar, looks really nice.

We are staying 4 nights before cruise so will be doing a lot of sightseeing.

Good choice. We stayed there pre cruise in April. About a 10 minute walk to Las Ramblas, 12 mins to the port entrance at the WTC (though not entrance for the larger ships).... And a metro stop right outside

Breakfast was reasonable too.

Slumming it in August (2 rooms needed and for 4 nights) at the Travelodge Poblenou.... Which is the other side of the city to Barcelona to the airport and about 12 mins taxi back to the port.

Edited by les37b

Good choice. We stayed there pre cruise in April. About a 10 minute walk to Las Ramblas, 12 mins to the port entrance at the WTC (though not entrance for the larger ships).... And a metro stop right outside

Breakfast was reasonable too.

Slumming it in August (2 rooms needed and for 4 nights) at the Travelodge Poblenou.... Which is the other side of the city to Barcelona to the airport and about 12 mins taxi back to the port.

Thanks, that's good to know. I wouldn't have minded slumming it but never been before so just went with the reviews.

Our group of 7 had 3 rooms at the Hotel Continental Barcelona prior to our June 11 Vista cruise.It's fun to get rooms with a balcony overlooking Las Ramblas. The hotel has a 24 hour buffet with free wine,soda and beer and ice cream plus food. We stayed here in 2011 and liked it so much we came back.The location is fantastic at the top of Las Ramblas next to Placa Catalunya.All the HoHo buses start at Placa Catalunya.

• 2 weeks later...

We are staying in Barcelona for 3 nights before boarding the transatlantic...

We booked Ayre Hotel Rosellon.

Its right near Sagrada Familia (behind it - a nice view of it from the rooftop bar), also we have the hop on/hop off booked for 2 days, we can board that at the Sagrada Familia, so the location worked well. :)