After Final Payment Princess Showing MORE Avail Rooms Each Day

LastUsernameEver

Now this is one of those threads that might feel like minutia to some, but I find it curious.

I've been keeping an eye on a cruise leaving in about a month. It's local to me, and I've done many cruises, so I'm watching to see if they lower fares in the last four weeks...but HERE'S my curiosity:

For the past five days or so, the "available cabins" showing in the two categories (Interior and Obstructed) I've been monitoring have increased almost daily.

When five days ago there were 20 available, the next day there were 21, then 23, then 26 available.

Since we're after final payment and only "balconies" are available above, I suppose some of the passengers could have chosen to move up to a balcony cabin. Or does Princess begin to reveal previously blocked cabins closer to departure.

I know this may feel "in the weeds", but this kind of stuff fascinates me.

The increase in inside and OV cabins is likely the result of some passengers receiving free upgrades to higher category cabins in the few months preceeding the sailing. After final payment, when the bookings that are going to cancel have, for the most part, cancelled, yield management goes to work upgrading and doing things in an effort to fill the remaining cabins on the ship. The lower fares for the inside and OV cabins are more attractive for last-minute bookings.

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who does this. My cruise is about 65 days out and there are rooms popping up that weren't available before. I was wondering if it was due to people upgrading or if Princess was holding rooms until closer to the sail date. Cancellations and upgrades totally make sense, I guess I learned something new today! :)

People could also be cancelling due to the promo that was offered when they booked like the $1 down bonus. I read that people were booking multiple cruises due to only the $1 and the $1 is fully refundable.

Some people even brag on these boards that they book several cruises all in the same time frame and cancel all but one when final payment arrives. This is even across different cruise lines, not just Princess. These people must cause the cruise lines heartburn since they have no intention on completing the bookings of most cruises they hold rooms for. This also accounts for staterooms in prime locations that get grabbed early then suddenly becoming available.

Some people even brag on these boards that they book several cruises all in the same time frame and cancel all but one when final payment arrives. This is even across different cruise lines, not just Princess. These people must cause the cruise lines heartburn since they have no intention on completing the bookings of most cruises they hold rooms for. This also accounts for staterooms in prime locations that get grabbed early then suddenly becoming available.

Well I find that baffling. If the cruise departs in 4 weeks, and Final Payment was due over a month ago...how could these people have KEPT a reservation active without having paid for it?

Well I find that baffling. If the cruise departs in 4 weeks, and Final Payment was due over a month ago...how could these people have KEPT a reservation active without having paid for it?

Nothing baffling about my post. Read it again. I wasn't directing this to your cruise specifically, but of practices of some people in general as a reply to St Paul Girl's post.

Edited by sloopsailor

Our final payment for 02/28 sailing was due on the 15th. We got an up sell to full suite from mini for 599.00pp. No Thanks. Today prices for this cruise on minis went up at least 300pp. Aft Dolphin deck only has 3 rooms booked. I would've thought the price would've gone down. Lower categories must be near capacity to see this increase. We are on Emerald, and I check a lot to see if another cabins have opened up.

Nothing baffling about my post. Read it again. I wasn't directing this to your cruise specifically, but of practices of some people in general as a reply to St Paul Girl's post.

If they need to cancel the fake rez's by the final payment date, what's the advantage of making them? To leave empty cabins in categories above them or something in the hopes of an upgrade or something?

If they need to cancel the fake rez's by the final payment date, what's the advantage of making them? To leave empty cabins in categories above them or something in the hopes of an upgrade or something?

Not all the time. sometimes it is about having the flexibility to grab a great offer, or keeping options open (and active). We currently have the cruise we really want to take booked, but we also have another cruise booked that overlaps that timeframe in the event that circumstances change and we need to take a shorter trip, stay closer to home for medical or other reasons.....

We use FCD's (was FCC's but now being called future cruise deposits), and while we don't "double book" very often, we do it occasionally when we are more than 18 months out and want to have some options. With elderly parents, it is not unreasonable to find that being much closer to home - a relatively quick flight from the Caribbean - rather that a flight from halfway across the world - in an emergency - should we see a decline in their overall health - would be a wiser choice.

But we release the cabins on the double bookings as soon as we have really made up our minds. So, you might suddenly see a suite open up, or a prime location balcony become available. We are by far not the only cruisers to do this. And the cruise lines do expect their bookings to "turn over' on cruises, It is factored into their marketing, pricing schemes and special offers.

That is one way of locking in a specific cabin so that they will still have their preferred cabin if they decide to proceed with final payment.

Not all the time. sometimes it is about having the flexibility to grab a great offer, or keeping options open (and active). We currently have the cruise we really want to take booked, but we also have another cruise booked that overlaps that timeframe in the event that circumstances change and we need to take a shorter trip, stay closer to home for medical or other reasons.....

We use FCD's (was FCC's but now being called future cruise deposits), and while we don't "double book" very often, we do it occasionally when we are more than 18 months out and want to have some options. With elderly parents, it is not unreasonable to find that being much closer to home - a relatively quick flight from the Caribbean - rather that a flight from halfway across the world - in an emergency - should we see a decline in their overall health - would be a wiser choice.

But we release the cabins on the double bookings as soon as we have really made up our minds. So, you might suddenly see a suite open up, or a prime location balcony become available. We are by far not the only cruisers to do this. And the cruise lines do expect their bookings to "turn over' on cruises, It is factored into their marketing, pricing schemes and special offers.

Don't think we can do this in the Uk as we would lose our deposit.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Large Travel Agents also reserve a number of cabins and then release the ones that have not sold. Often this leads to folks upgrading their existing booking which frees up the lower level cabins.

Princess also combines Cruises into longer offerings. Example is our 20 day we booked for January is also sold as two individual 10 day cruises. They block off a number of cabins only for the 20 day. When it gets close to sailing date, they may free up some of those which are then added back into the 10 day cruise offerings.

They do the same on 7/14 day packages.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by dennbr9