Port Area in Rouseau...Is there much to see?

cruisingbajan

Hi Guys,

my wife and I will be in Dominica next April on Serenade...we are not quite sure yet what we want to do i.e. take a tour or just relax on the ship.

Is there much to see in the port area? Can we walk around and browse some shops maybe buy some souvenirs downtown?

Thanks

If you dock in town rather than the industrial dock (where a shuttle is needed), there's enough to keep you amused.

The Fort Young Hotel is an interesting place to go for a drink or lunch and just look around. It was actually a fort -- interesting. :)

If you dock in town rather than the industrial dock (where a shuttle is needed), there's enough to keep you amused.

The Fort Young Hotel is an interesting place to go for a drink or lunch and just look around. It was actually a fort -- interesting. :)

Lets hope we dock in town.:)

Hi Guys,

my wife and I will be in Dominica next April on Serenade...we are not quite sure yet what we want to do i.e. take a tour or just relax on the ship.

Is there much to see in the port area? Can we walk around and browse some shops maybe buy some souvenirs downtown?

Thanks

As a Bajan, you will appreciate this.

When docking in the town, walk off ship, turn left, walk past the main store (green doors), turn first right, down the lane last all the stalls, at T junction right, across the road on your left is a liquor store named PYRAT.

They sell Mount Gay 17O3 Cask at $85.00 :D - Half the price it sells for in England

Good Souvenier?

Edited by PORT ROYAL

As a Bajan, you will appreciate this.

When docking in the town, walk off ship, turn left, walk past the main store (green doors), turn first right, down the lane last all the stalls, at T junction right, across the road on your left is a liquor store named PYRAT.

They sell Mount Gay 17O3 Cask at $85.00 :D - Half the price it sells for in England

Good Souvenier?

If that is $85 US...I maybe able to get it cheaper at home but I like your thinking;):D.

I am always on the hunt to try local brews/spirits so will this place fit the bill?

If that is $85 US...I maybe able to get it cheaper at home but I like your thinking;):D.

I am always on the hunt to try local brews/spirits so will this place fit the bill?

If you have an interest in local rums, then take an empty bottle to here :):)

http://www.uncommoncaribbean.com/2012/08/23/on-site-dominica-cask-rum-refills-at-barbs-wholesale/

• 2 weeks later...
If you have an interest in local rums, then take an empty bottle to here :):)

http://www.uncommoncaribbean.com/2012/08/23/on-site-dominica-cask-rum-refills-at-barbs-wholesale/

Thanks for the awesome link:D.

I will definitely give this place a visit when we dock in Dominica:). You think they will let me bring my bottle onto the ship?

I enjoyed walking around in Rouseau. We did take a tour up to the rainforest and hiked up to a waterfall, but afterward we had several hours to wander. And wander we did. Never felt unsafe, enjoyed the local grocery stores and would go back in a nano second!

I will definitely give this place a visit when we dock in Dominica:). You think they will let me bring my bottle onto the ship?

Afterward, yes but you will have to surrender it until the last night of your cruise. You can't take it to your cabin. If you meant an empty bottle at the beginning of the cruise, there's no reason for them to deny you this.

• 6 months later...

I would rate Rouseau as my favorite Caribbean city. It is 100% real with little touristy affectations. They're friendly and all , but there are no fake pirate trinkets or tacky souvenir marts like you see on other islands.

There is a lot of hustle and bustle of people going about their daily business. I spent several hours just wandering around and thoroughly enjoyed it!

If walking round the port, stop off at Brenda's (a mobile vendor) for tastings of her local flavoured Wa Bio Rum.

However, if braver, take a taxi (ask it wait-you will need it later) to Melvina's Bar, again for Wa Bio tastings, including her Bush (Yes, Bush ;)) Rum, which should have an unable to stand warning :eek:

• 1 month later...
Afterward, yes but you will have to surrender it until the last night of your cruise. You can't take it to your cabin. If you meant an empty bottle at the beginning of the cruise, there's no reason for them to deny you this.

Are they able to fully reseal bottle? Otherwise, they will not even store the bottle. This would be fun to do but just want to make it sure it would work.

Since these posts last May, has anyone since done this successfully? If it makes any difference, it would be NCL.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Guys,

Thanks

Hey Keith, we're on the same cruise with you and it's the one port where I'm stymied on what to do. Have private tours planned at the other ports but have pretty much settled on a ships tour which includes a stop at Morne Bruce, Botanical Gardens, Emerald Pool, and Mero Beach. Should be a full day about 5 hours, seeing some of the must see places and having some beach time. Steve

Hey Keith, we're on the same cruise with you and it's the one port where I'm stymied on what to do. Have private tours planned at the other ports but have pretty much settled on a ships tour which includes a stop at Morne Bruce, Botanical Gardens, Emerald Pool, and Mero Beach. Should be a full day about 5 hours, seeing some of the must see places and having some beach time. Steve

Botanical Gardens is just a por quality Park

Emerald Pool is tame

Mero Beach is bordering on a dump, only has poor quality loungers and a single hut to change in, and a bar that only has cheap plastic coffee cups to serve rum.

Take a Catamaran trip.

Edited by PORT ROYAL

Botanical Gardens is just a por quality Park

Emerald Pool is tame

Mero Beach is bordering on a dump, only has poor quality loungers and a single hut to change in, and a bar that only has cheap plastic coffee cups to serve rum.

Take a Catamaran trip.[/quote Thanks, I'll look into it, but doing Catamaran's at two other ports. Thought this might be the one place to lay low as nothing was really getting my attention.

• 3 weeks later...

Ive been looking i am guessing we are o the same cruise as you i have emailed island fishing about whale watching tours i think we are there on the 12th or 13th not sure with out checking but still awaiting a reply i might just give them a call if anyone is interested cheers Jason