Beach at Carambola....

LarCourt

We walked from Carambola to Shipwreck - i.e. from one end of South Friars Bay to the other. We did not see a Discovery bar, but we weren't really looking. They were building a small building nearby, so I presume that will be the new beach bar.

As far as we saw, Carambola had the nicest 'resort' on that beach - the longest beach, and fairly new deck chairs and umbrellas, the largest restaurant, etc. So perhaps it not considered upmarket, but South Friars Bay is a nice beach, so we will return.

26904472_10154980287296851_4185093749648229865_n.jpg?oh=90b69b09d976a425459ba027d37d8a22&oe=5B266D1B

This is Carambola Beach. The green umbrellas are theirs. Off in the distance, hardly visible in this picture just where the sand disappears and turns into volcanic rock is Shipwreck Beach. In between are the 4 or 5 other bar/beach locations on South Friars Bay.

Thanks Redlats, did you snorkel at all?
Nope, we didn't bring our one snorkel set and there was nowhere at this bay to rent any. Also at the Carambola end of the bay, the ocean floor is all sand which I don't think is good for seeing fish. At the Shipwreck end, the sand has some volcanic rock at some places, so that might be better for snorkelling.

In the beach between Carambola and Shipwreck the rock comes all the way up to the shore, so the swimming is not good, but it does make for decent snorkeling. You just have to work your way out from the shore a bit until you get to the sand (maybe 30 feet?) and then you will be in an area with quite a few fish. But you do have to bring your own gear.

Discovery is a small shack bar between Carambola and Shipwreck. Old Chairs were $5 ea. The volcanic rock bottom in the water off Discovery makes it difficult to swim even with water shoes.

If we go vac we are going to Carambola I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks for the valuable information. We plan on going to Carambola tomorrow after our ship docks. We will rent chairs and umbrellas.

- Are credit cards accepted for rental?

- How long is the taxi ride from the dock?

Thanks for the valuable information. We plan on going to Carambola tomorrow after our ship docks. We will rent chairs and umbrellas.

- Are credit cards accepted for rental?

- How long is the taxi ride from the dock?

Taxi about 20 minutes. Don’t go through the main structure when you get to the port. Just to the right you will find a group of taxis to take folks. We have always just tipped the guy who gets the chairs out. Food and drinks can be put on your card from the bar and restaurant.

Carambola was wonderful last week. We paid $30 for 2 chairs and an umbrella, Well worth it, as we arrive mid morning and it was mostly empty...had the place to ourselves. While the taxi driver failed to pick us up for the return, the msun desk phoned for another taxi, who promptly can.

Returning to the pier, a mega ship was disembarking -

I have a feeling many headed for Carambola. We lucked out, avoiding the crowds.

Carambola was wonderful last week. We paid $30 for 2 chairs and an umbrella, Well worth it, as we arrive mid morning and it was mostly empty...had the place to ourselves. While the taxi driver failed to pick us up for the return, the msun desk phoned for another taxi, who promptly can.

Returning to the pier, a mega ship was disembarking -

I have a feeling many headed for Carambola. We lucked out, avoiding the crowds.

When you were there did you happen to notice if Shipwreck was still open? About to change my plans to walk those beach clubs. This thread talks about it's closing?

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2592548&page=2

Edited by B&J_Pgh

How much is the Chair Rental at Vibes?? I was trying to find this on their website and I could not see it anywhere. Thanks

Last January the price was US $5.00 per item (2 beds and 1 umbrella = $15.00). A small tip for set up is greatly appreciated. We gave $20.00 total.

Not mandatory. We just laid towels on the sand. But there is limited shade - there are about 10 or 15 palm trees off to one side that offer some shade. So if you don't beetle to the beach right after arriving in St. Kitts, unless you love blazing sun you will have to rent an umbrella.

Actually next time we go to St. Kitts, we probably will go to Shipwreck Beach. There the chairs and umbrellas are free as long as you buy your drinks and food from the bar. The chairs and umbrellas are older though, and although the beach is still fine by our standards it is not as white and sandy as Carambola beach.

As sad as the news is, Shipwreck has closed down. I think their last day was Feb. 28. I had made plans to spend the day there in June. Is Carambola a good alternative? Or should we try Cockleshell?

We were at Carambola on 2nd March, and really enjoyed it. You can email to pre-reserve your sunbeds and umbrella, $30 for 2 chairs and 1 umbrella. I walked down as far as Shipwreck and it looked closed, Discovery was still open though.

The beach is very narrow there, and the chairs didn't look as comfortable, but it depends what you want.

The snorkeling at Carambola was great, round the other side of the rocks that form the little pier. Just be careful if you aren't a strong swimmer as the current coming back was much stronger than going out. I had to front crawl quite hard to get back, as I went a long way round. (I was on my own, which isn't the best idea, but I have done a lot of ocean swimming before)

I saw a large sea turtle, a lion fish, a large blowfish, and lots of other interesting things.

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...