Internet Packages

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Unregistered, just back from your P&O cruise? Get published on Cruise Critic; Write a Review!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 06:51 AM.
South Harrow
399 Posts
Joined Jun 2009
Hello All,

Just a quick update on the internet package.

I called P&O this morning to purchase 'The Browse Package' for the duration of our upcoming 12 night cruise.

I can confirm that the cost was £10 per day LESS my loyalty discount (I'm currently in the Mediterranean tier so I get 10%) so the package cost me £108.

Joan
Southsea
178 Posts
Joined Jun 2016
Hi Big Foot, that is good to know, when I pre booked a while back for Azura I asked specifically if discount was applied to the price as well and was told no, its not applicable by the c/s girl, so either she got it wrong or they have now changed to allowing it...hopefully the latter.

It did not really matter anyway as when I got on board I could get no usable signal in my room on D Deck, I could only get a usable signal right by my Cabin Door and then outside in the corridor, this of course was not good and fair crack to the guy in the Library who could tell I had no used data and I got a full refund within about 10 days.

I am on the Aurora in December and will now wait until I am on board before deciding whether to use the internet on there....I have heard its good on there though on C Deck so fingers crossed.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Regards
Barrie
Sheffield, UK
4,341 Posts
Joined Nov 2005
There can be issues with satellite-based communications. Most of the satellites are in equatorial orbits, which means that cruises in northern waters will often struggle to see a satellite above the horizon. This is especially true in the fjords - those high mountains walls are really good satellite blockers! And of course in Iceland you can be near or even over the arctic circle in which case satellite communications will be very poor.

As regards the Browse package - does this include posting, or just reading? (for social media). I usually blog from a cruise, to a Wordpress site, and I discovered that Wordpress sites aren't included in the "Browse' package (for posting).

In the end I took my smart phone and my iPad, and used my high data allowance on the iPhone to connect to a cellular network at my standard data rate (no roaming charges in the EU), and tethered the iPad to the iPhone. I was able to post blog updates, and browse, using that method on most port days. This didn't work in Iceland - Iceland is not a member of the EU. But I was able to do what I wanted without buying any of P&O's packages.

(Even at sea I was sometimes able to get connectivity, as long as we were close to land. We had a sea day sailing down the Minch and every now and then as we sailed past one of the villages and towns in the Hebrides there'd be a signal for the phone...)
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Coming up:
Oceana 2018 - The Adriatic
-------------------------
Already enjoyed:
MSC Sinfonia (2005), Norwegian Jewel (2005), Galaxy (2006 & 2007), Braemar (2007), Oriana (2008 & 2012), Ventura (2008, 2010, 2011 & 2013), Celebrity Solstice (2009), Arcadia (2010, 2012 & 2014), Black Watch (2011), Azura (2014, 2015 & 2017), Britannnia (2016)

My Blog: http://tomscruiseblog.co.uk
Cheshire
80 Posts
Joined Aug 2011
[quote=Big Foot;54007922]Hello All,

I called P&O this morning to purchase 'The Browse Package' for the duration of our upcoming 12 night cruise.

I can confirm that the cost was £10 per day LESS my loyalty discount (I'm currently in the Mediterranean tier so I get 10%) so the package cost me £108.

Joan[/quote

Hi Bigfoot

I also have 12 day cruise shortly, P and O tell me cost is £108 but def. no loyalty discount if booked prior to boarding. Mediterranean discount is eight and half percent not ten percent.

So will wait until on board and then discount will apply.
South Harrow
399 Posts
Joined Jun 2009
[quote=silkworms;54009908]
Originally posted by Big Foot
Hello All,

Joan[/quote

Hi Bigfoot

I also have 12 day cruise shortly, P and O tell me cost is £108 but def. no loyalty discount if booked prior to boarding. Mediterranean discount is eight and half percent not ten percent.

South Harrow
399 Posts
Joined Jun 2009
Oh yeah so it is!

I just assumed as it worked out to £108 instead of £120 that I got some form of discount but maybe not!

Well however they worked it out I'm happy with £108 for 12 nights.
South Harrow
399 Posts
Joined Jun 2009
[quote=silkworms;54009908]
Originally posted by Big Foot
Hello All,

Joan[/quote

Hi Bigfoot

Just been looking at the help & advice section. I may be wrong but nit sure if you'll get the Internet package for £108 if purchased once on board.

It seems to read you only get the discounted rate if purchased pre cruise.

How to purchase Satellite Internet

When you buy The Browse Package before you sail, you can save up to 15%*. You are able to purchase pre cruise on a single 24 hour period basis and as a full Cruise Plan. Multiple purchases of the single 24 hour option can be made should you require a shorter duration than your full cruise.
  • Daily Internet Browse Package - £10 per 24 hours
  • Full Cruise Plan Browse Package - From £28 for a 3 day duration up to £246 for a 30 day duration.

To purchase and to find out more, please visit our website for contact details. If you would prefer to use The Connect Package or The Works, these can be purchased on board your ship.

Once on board, there are two ways to buy a satellite internet package. Open a browser on your device, log on to the ship’s Wi-Fi and type ‘login.com’ into your browser. Follow the on screen instructions and choose a daily or full Cruise Plan for your preferred package. Alternatively, pop along to the Library; a good option if you need a little help.

If you are on a back to back cruise (two or more consecutive cruises) please note that the satellite internet service may be unavailable during turnaround days when the ships changes from one cruise to the next.
Cheshire
80 Posts
Joined Aug 2011
Hi Bigfoot

Have worked out that you get discount if prepurchased.
But no loyalty discount if prepurchased.
However, purchase on board and get loyalty discount.
Therefore £120 less my loyalty of ten percent equals
£108. However, am thinking embarkation day and final day hardly worth having wifi so will probably just get
10 days worth. Have a good cruise.
826 Posts
Joined Jul 2011
Originally posted by barriead
Hi Big Foot, that is good to know, when I pre booked a while back for Azura I asked specifically if discount was applied to the price as well and was told no, its not applicable by the c/s girl, so either she got it wrong or they have now changed to allowing it...hopefully the latter.

It did not really matter anyway as when I got on board I could get no usable signal in my room on D Deck, I could only get a usable signal right by my Cabin Door and then outside in the corridor, this of course was not good and fair crack to the guy in the Library who could tell I had no used data and I got a full refund within about 10 days.

I am on the Aurora in December and will now wait until I am on board before deciding whether to use the internet on there....I have heard its good on there though on C Deck so fingers crossed.
Barrie, we were on Aurora this August, on C deck and could not get a signal in our cabin or any of the public areas. Only place was out on deck. It was also glacially slow, everything took forever.
17 Posts
Joined Dec 2016
I'm on the Azura at the moment and have pre purchased the browse package, I am on C deck and have had no trouble with connectivity although can be slow. What we didn't realise is if you pre book you then register again when you log on and it comes off again on your card or OBC you then have to go to the library within 24 hours and they put it back on your card

Sent from my iPad using Forums
Manchester, England
288 Posts
Joined Jan 2004
Hi, does anybody know what the reception is like on Britannia?
We are on deck 10 towards the rear.

Thanks,
Rick.
Warwickshire, England
1,604 Posts
Joined Sep 2012
Never had a problem at the Sunset bar or anywhere else.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Mike

Aurora 2004 - Sun Princess 2005 -QE2 2006 - Oceana 2007 - Grand Princess 2007 - Oriana 2008 - QM2 2008 - Grand Princess 2009 - Voyager of the Seas 2009 - Oceana 2009 - Oriana 2010 - Star Princess 2011 - Grand Princess 2012 - Oceana 2012 - Grand princess 2012 (again) - Ruby Princess May 2013 - Ruby Princess October 2013 - Emerald Princess May 2014 - Grand Princess November 2014 - Anthem of the Seas June 2015 - Britannia Dec 2015 - Emerald Princess May 2016 - Britannia Dec 2016 - Oceana 2017