Airfare through Expedia

Cruiser-66

If you have an involuntary reschedule it can be an utter ballache to work through with Expedia. Also if you need to change your reservation at all then again it becomes a pain.

As the previous poster noted just go with the airline directly.

I usually like to book airfare directly through the airline. This time the best rate is through Expedia. The reason being I need to fly out on Delta, and back on United. Can anyone see a problem with doing this?

Ticket consolidators like Expedia are very hard to work with for changes or problems.

U know I read this stuff all the time with Expedia and do now I try to book direct with airlines even though I have had good luck with Expedia.

My son missed his Xmas flight booked through Expedia, called expedia and it would of been 1200 (which was a lot), so phoned airline that expedia booked us on and they put him on the next flight for 100 bucks.( I think it was delta)

Another time flight schedule changed, called the airline direct to get different flight cause the new schedule did not work, they said to call Expedia. I told them expedia told me to call them direct, and then airline made my change no problem.

My sons gf also had a flight change and Expedia rescheduled no problem!

But others know better than me on here so ??

Ticket consolidators like Expedia are very hard to work with for changes or problems.

I wouldn't really consider Expedia a consolidator. They tend to offer regular prices - the same as offered from the airlines. Consolidators tend to have specially negotiated fares that can become sketchy (like cruise line air)

I wouldn't really consider Expedia a consolidator. They tend to offer regular prices - the same as offered from the airlines. Consolidators tend to have specially negotiated fares that can become sketchy (like cruise line air)
Expedia is not a ticket consolidator. They are an online travel agency.
IME, Expedia does also sell some net fares of the same genus as those that consolidators sell - or at least it sells some of them here. That makes it important to try to find out or work out whether you're getting a published fare with fully-published rules, or an Expedia "special fare" which may have some opacity. In addition, it is possible that some fares that Expedia sells are contract fares with special conditions even though they are the same price as the airline's published fares; of course, "special" can work in your favour as well as against you.

IME, Expedia does also sell some net fares of the same genus as those that consolidators sell - or at least it sells some of them here. That makes it important to try to find out or work out whether you're getting a published fare with fully-published rules, or an Expedia "special fare" which may have some opacity. In addition, it is possible that some fares that Expedia sells are contract fares with special conditions even though they are the same price as the airline's published fares; of course, "special" can work in your favour as well as against you.

In Canada Expedia operates more like a consolidator than a travel agent. They aren't registered with provincial TA insurance plans.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Forums mobile app

I have booked multiple flights on Expedia(.ca), generally for the same reason - one way on one airline and the other way on a different, non code-shared airline which would cost more if booked separately through the airlines themselves. Most recently, I booked my ticket for my Alaska cruise, 1-way into Vancouver (Westjet) and 1-way home from Anchorage via Chicago (Alaska Airlines and American Airlines). No problems so far, although I haven't needed to change anything with the reservation.

You DO get confirmation numbers from Expedia upon booking which can be used to log in directly on the airline's websites, and as far as I can tell, there aren't any ultimate differences in what you can use them for (flight changes, online check-in, upgrades, frequent flyer points, etc).

Having said all of this, if I could book the flights at the same prices directly with the airlines, I would do that over Expedia. But when Expedia is cheaper and I don't anticipate having to make any changes, I use them.