I promise not the normal cheers question

10Jan54

"I promise not the normal cheers question"

Yet you ask one anyway. One that has been asked almost weekly. State and local liquor control laws govern when Cheers may go into effect.

Sheesh, this is a place for people to come and ask questions, whether they've been asked before or not. No need to chastise anyone for using the forums.

Yet, some feel the urgency to chastise others. :rolleyes: However, to be fair, the question was indeed a "normal cheers question", not as the OP implied.

Yet, some feel the urgency to chastise others. :rolleyes: However, to be fair, the question was indeed a "normal cheers question", not as the OP implied.

And then there's the chastisers who chastise the chastiser chastising other chastisers:D. It's a normal Cheers question for you and me and for the others posting in response, evidently not a normal Cheers question for the OP.

I think this is a valid question. Why out of Galveston on RCCL does the package begin immediately when you board the the ship though it is a bit limited until you get about 15-20 miles out to sea and Carnival begins day two

I think this is a valid question. Why out of Galveston on RCCL does the package begin immediately when you board the the ship though it is a bit limited until you get about 15-20 miles out to sea and Carnival begins day two

Just a guess- two different sets of attorneys interpreting the same law.

Some clarity, in reverse order. Carnival doesn't begin the Cheers package until the morning after sailing, or day two. (You probably meant that, I read it wrong) They only charge for the days the program is offered, not the first day. They do have a limited bar service until the ship reaches international water. The bars close for about ten minutes for a changeover to alcohol that doesn't have the tax paid on it. You will see a line of people waiting to by the Cheers program by 9 AM on day two.

Royal offers it and pays the tax levied on each drink sold in Texas waters. Texas did away with a "pay a flat fee, drink all you want" bar offering years ago, and levies a tax on every drink sold in the state. While there is a limit on number of drinks per day, Carnival elects to do it different.

Texas liquor laws haven't changed much in decades. What has changed is enforcement. Cruises returning to Texas now have a TABC crew ready to greet you once you clear US Customs. Their sole purpose if to collect duty on booze brought back in our state. In our cruises since they appeared it seems they don't have much of a line...

There are rumblings about making hard liquor legal to sell on Sunday. Currently liquor stores must close at 9 PM on Saturday night. Beer and wine can be sold after noon on Sunday or in restaurants at 11 AM as long as food is purchased.

And then there's the chastisers who chastise the chastiser chastising other chastisers:D. It's a normal Cheers question for you and me and for the others posting in response, evidently not a normal Cheers question for the OP.

A 15 drink limit would be needed to interpret this. Don't chastise me for saying that. :)

I have sailed from Galveston and Mobile that have state restriction on alcohol sales. In each, booze served in that state's water must be purchased from the states alcohol beverage control agency. Although the Mobile procedures have now changed. In November 2016 on the Fantasy, on the first day there was Alabama booze, a limited selection. When the bars closed on that first day those bottles were locked up until the next cruise. The next day, the open sea booze was opened along with the Cheers program. I assume this is the same procedure in Texas and New York.

Royal offers it and pays the tax levied on each drink sold in Texas waters. Texas did away with a "pay a flat fee, drink all you want" bar offering years ago, and levies a tax on every drink sold in the state. While there is a limit on number of drinks per day, Carnival elects to do it different....

Tax is charged in all ports before you get into international waters though. I've had Cheers! out of different ports and while my drink rang up as $0.00, there was still a tax of about $0.75 on each drink. Maybe it's the amount of tax charged by the state?

Since I started this post I might as well try and end it....I DO NOT LIVE ON THIS SITE AS MANY OF YOU DO, I only check it out when I have something on my mind. So the odds of me missing many, many post about the same thing is great. Signed a person with a life!:p

Since I started this post I might as well try and end it....I DO NOT LIVE ON THIS SITE AS MANY OF YOU DO, I only check it out when I have something on my mind. So the odds of me missing many, many post about the same thing is great. Signed a person with a life!:p

I think there are a lot of folks who come to the boards out of boredom. It's a shame that anonymity seems to allow many to behave in a socially unacceptable manner. I was taught if you can't say something nice, you shouldn't say anything at all. It seems to be easy for some to bully on these boards. I guess it is either their true nature, or maybe they've been bullied and now get their jolly's by paying that forward! Until you've purchased a cheers package, it is hard to discern exactly what that entails. When does it start, depends on the port. Sales tax charges, depends on the port. Cost effective, depends on port days and how much you consume. I personally believe that those who want what they want, when they want it, that price isn't any consideration for what they spend on vacation will love the cheers package. Those that like to save where they can and possibly aren't heavy drinkers, a la cart is the better way to go. I personally would never budget $800 for beverages for my spouse and myself for the week, but my priorities are different than many.

NCL Sunward 1974

NCL Starward 1978

Costa Daphne 1982

Carnival Triumph 2001

Carnival Conquests 2005

Carnival Magic 2014