Clamshells at half moon cay

vpoopsy

I'm sure someone is going to scream when they read this because this question has been asked a thousand times, but I'm asking again. Are the clamshells the only way to get shade if you are on the beach? Are they hot to sit inside of? I know they are only $9, but my DH has to be convinced.:confused:

I am not a fan of the clam because it's too hot for me.

There is shade from palm trees and such. You need to get there first to get the best spots and be prepared to share the area. I have observed the concept of, sharing the shade, leading to "words" between passengers, on a few occasions. It's always something.

the first time we went to HMC, we (DH and I ) got a clamshell.

We enjoyed it. Totally worth the $9. We propped up the back and got some air, but we were never too hot... if it did get warm... well, we went swimming for a bit.

I would not rely on finding a shaddy palm tree to rest under. :)

Yes, they are hot. They block a lot of air. I will not use one. I wish they would offer umbrellas like they use to. (BTW, the umbrellas were FREE)
If you prop up the back of the Clam Shell with a couple of rocks or rest it on the back of your chair you will get plenty of ventilation.

Does anyone have a picturre of this clamshell? I can't quite picture it. Yes- I know what a real clamshell looks like. :D I just can't see this thing as a sunblocker or how it can be propped up for better ventilation. Are they fixed in place or can they be moved? If fixed, can you choose the location you want?

310193755qyzTCN_th.jpg

310193617yVeUWC_th.jpg

More pics: http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/408974717jKHbAe?start=12

Here's a pic I found. So, it looks like they are permanent or can you put them where you want? They do look a little toasty. I think I've talked myself out of getting one.

I assume the farther down the beach you go, the less crowded it is. I was looking at those photos and I don't like sitting elbow to elbow with folks.

310193755qyzTCN_th.jpg

310193617yVeUWC_th.jpg

More pics: http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/408974717jKHbAe?start=12

Here's a pic I found. So, it looks like they are permanent or can you put them where you want? They do look a little toasty. I think I've talked myself out of getting one.

I assume the farther down the beach you go, the less crowded it is. I was looking at those photos and I don't like sitting elbow to elbow with folks.

Those that are crowed together are at the very beginning of the beach, they are spread father appare farther down the beach :)

http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/1310193617059670232yVeUWC

Just booked Feb 17, 2007 on the Zuiderdam. It will be out first cruise to the Caribbean and to Half Moon Cay. We are traveling with our daughter, her fiance and our grandson. My DH and DD are not big beach fans. I noticed that there were 3 or 4 beach bars on HMC. I am looking for a place for them to hang out while my grandson and I enjoy the beach. Any suggestions? They do like their cocktails and if the bar is nice would be happy there. DH is not interested in a cabana.

Thanks

For me, the price is right ($9), I normally arrive early and get one towards the very end. If you get one at the starting point, it get very crowded.

As for the heat issue, I'm like everyone else, I place something in the back for additional air.

I mainly use mine clamshell for rest and storage. I normally bring one or two books that I want to read, one or two bottle waters, towel, shades and sunscreen lotion. I also bring a small hankie to tie on the front to know which one is mine.

There are a few hammocks (not enought) and "I wish that I could stay forever" bar which sports some great views.

To me, HAL need to offer more shaded areas on the beach, esp for the elderly. I let an older couple use my clamshell when I did the Aqua Trax and ate lunch. I also let another couple near by use the clamshell when I left for the ship.

But if you have one, leave something beside the HAL towels in them. I notice that you had a couple going peeking in the shells until they found one that was "empty" and when the people who had the shell return, it was not nice.

The same goes for those that want to act foolish. Two spots down from me, there was a couple who place their belongings in the lounge chairs that were in a clamshell spot. The people next to them tried to explained that when someone with a clamshell ticket wanted that spot, they need to move. The couple declared that they were not going anywhere.

When the clamshells where filling up, one of the attendents came to the spot and asked the couple did they have a ticket for a clamshell. He told them that if not, they need to move because they had guest with tickets that wanted a clamshell. They refused stating they were there first. The attendent had to get a HAL representive to make them move.

Also, get on shore early if you have a clamshell, because if you get there around noon, they are gone.

I hope our info helps

Posters make it seem like the far end of the beach is at the end of the HMC death march. It is not that long of a beach. The going is easier on the walkway above the beach than on the soft sand. I would head to the far end, and the second rental pickup booth, unless I was infirm or really loved crowds.

Should I or shouldn't I????? Pros and cons, but I do like the idea of having a place to put my stuff, but I guess you could do the same thing without the clam shell. We've really talked about sunning in the morning, eating, hiking and back to the boat, so we wouldn't be at the beach all day long. Not much on just laying in a chair all day long.

We went at the end of the Dec. and found the sun hot and we live in the desert!! Best $9 we ever spent and bless the person who suggested to prop up the back to let air circulate. We didn't want to leave and were on the last tender back thanks to that clamshell. I'd vote get it and if you don't want to use it, be generous and pass it on to someone who didn't know about it beforehand.

Posters make it seem like the far end of the beach is at the end of the HMC death march. It is not that long of a beach. The going is easier on the walkway above the beach than on the soft sand. I would head to the far end, and the second rental pickup booth, unless I was infirm or really loved crowds.

So are you saying there are two places to "pickup" a "pre-rented" clamshell. And if you walk down to the one farther down the beach they'll give you a clamshell farther down the beach (and thus less crowded).

So are you saying there are two places to "pickup" a "pre-rented" clamshell. And if you walk down to the one farther down the beach they'll give you a clamshell farther down the beach (and thus less crowded).
Exactly. Take your voucher for the clamshell rental. At the kiosk they will send someone with the brace they use to hold your clamshell open. I was sent to the far kiosk because the first kiosk was out of clamshells. (Two ships at HMC. You did check to see how many ships are there, didn't you?) Ships' staff told me I didn't need the voucher, the kiosk thought I did. I had them call to verify. They wrote me a new charge slip for which I was not charged. The kiosk employees were not the Indonesians that get such great reviews.

Archived