Off the boat and what to do near LGA?

Sailing on Anthem in a few weeks. Shows we will dock back in Cape Liberty 7 am. Our flight out of LGA is not until 7 pm. How late can we stay on the boat? Anything to do between the port and LGA we should try and do? Thanks

When we had same situation at FLL we rented a car one way - port to airport and explored the area. No need to pay to store luggage. Plus it covered costs to get to airport. $50 total for the day for 4 pax

Perhaps this is an option in that area?

You could take in a Mets game if they are home and playing in the afternoon.....or you could take the suggestion someone else made about seeing some more of Manhattan. Two days is no where near enough to see the city. Royal is going to want you off the ship by 9am at the latest so you will have a lot of time to fill. If you are an outlet shopper there is a big outlet mall, Jersey Gardens on the other side of the Newark Airport and it is fairly close to the port.

If you have kids I would suggest The New York Hall of Science-great interactive museum. It is in Flushing-Meadow Park, not far from LGA. The park also has the Queens Zoo (best for young kids) and the Queens Museum (all ages).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If you have kids I would suggest The New York Hall of Science-great interactive museum. It is in Flushing-Meadow Park, not far from LGA. The park also has the Queens Zoo (best for young kids) and the Queens Museum (all ages).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Great! Thanks!

As others have described there is a lot to do in that part of Queens. I would not suggest renting a car if you have never driven in NYC before though.

Agree! We just returned from our first trip to NYC, when we exited our Limo from LGA to our hotel in Times Square my first words were “I would never ever drive in this city”. The rest of the week also proved my observation correct!;)

As someone who was born and raised in Queens and continues to drive there on occasion from eastern Long Island, I would not suggest renting a car to drive from Bayonne, NJ to Flushing, NYwhere LGA is located unless you are very familiar with the roads and possible traffic involved in that route.

I do not know where you are from and your driving experience in a densely populated area , but that drive includes going over the Verrazano bridge and driving on highways that are busy at best

or congested at the worst. The drive could take over an hour depending on traffic. That would put you in the LGA area around 10:00 if you left the pier around 9:00 AM.

There is ongoing construction at LGA. If your flight leaves at 7:00 PM, I would plan to be at the airport at least two hours before departure. So, you would have approximately seven hours to fill.

The idea of going to Flushing Meadowark for the science museum and zoo may be something that would interest you.

However, not certain how you would do this if planning to use Uber,a cab or car service unless the driver would be willing to wait for you or give you a number where you could call for transportation to get

from the park to the airport.

There are several hotels in the LGA area. Perhaps you could arrange for a dayroom so that you would have a place to drop your luggage and freshen up before your evening flight.

Then, you could get a cab orUber to /from the park from the hotel. The staff at the hotel may be able to arrange some kind of transportation for you.

I would also consider rebooking your flight for an earlier time. Personally, I would prefer to get on my way home rather than try to use up time between disembarkation and flight departure.

They will want the ship cleared of departing passengers by 9:30-10am on that last morning. You must be out of your cabin by 8:30am. Breakfast is earlier than normal, to facilitate your departure. There is little reason to hang around in public areas just to kill time.

I agree with booking an earlier flight...waiting and waiting makes for a VERY long day!

Unfortunately it’s my fault we have such a late flight. I was concerned if we got back to port late about trying to make an earlier flight. I realize now my mistake.

I would recommend if available, the valet luggage program through Royal Caribbean. One issue that you would run in to is where to store your luggage. Airlines typically don’t allow you to check your luggage in until 4 hours before your flight which would be at 3pm. If you are getting off the ship around 10am and then head to the airport, it would be too early and you will be stuck with the luggage. At least with the valet program, your luggage is checked through to your final destination so after you put your luggage outside your stateroom, The next time you see it will be at baggage claim at your home airport.

If you do this, you will be able to go somewhere close to the ship and I would recommend heading to Liberty State Park which is about 15-20 minutes from the pier. Here you can take the ferry over to the Statue of Liberty and also Ellis Island. It is a nice way to spend a few hours. Usually the Statue of Liberty is first and then Ellis Island. After Ellis Island, you can take the ferry back to Lower Manhattan and explore downtown. You can see the 9/11 Memorial and World Trade Center, Wall Street, Seaport, Brooklyn Bridge, Chinatown etc in this area. By this time it will be time to head to the airport and you can uber to the airport or take public transportation if you are more adventurous. There are also shuttles that leave from midtown Manhattan (Port Authority Bus Station or Grand Central Station) that go straight to the airport for $16 a person.

The area by LGA, there is not much to do as it isn’t the greatest of areas by the airport. You can goto Flushing Queens which is basically a Korea/Chinatown area or can go to a Mets Baseball Game like someone mentioned.

The last option is to book a tour through the cruise line that tours you around somewhere and then drops you off at the airport. Usually these tours are around 3-5 hrs and gets you to the airport by 1-2pm.

Google "storing luggage for the day in NYC" and you will find many options for what to do with your bags. You have a good chunk of the day free, so really no need to restrict yourself to the airport area. Unless the Mets have a day game at home, then I would do that.

Google "storing luggage for the day in NYC" and you will find many options for what to do with your bags. You have a good chunk of the day free, so really no need to restrict yourself to the airport area. Unless the Mets have a day game at home, then I would do that.

No day game.