Hotel booking tips at Fort Lauderdale?

Arctic Ace

We will arrive Fort Lauderdale airport at 9pm on Wednesday evening and cruise will departure on Sunday afternoon so that means that we will have three full days to spend in Fort Lauderdale / Miami.

Should we book a hotel for first night near Fort Lauderdale airport and then move to the better location or what should we do? Where in Fort Lauderdale should we book a hotel and what hotels do you recommend?

With that many days in Fort Lauderdale, don't stay out by the airport! Stay at the beach (lots of hotels) or downtown (the Riverside Hotel on Las Olas). Check out http://www.sunny.org for info on hotels and attractions. Don't miss the info on the water taxi (http://www.watertaxi.com) and the sun trolley (http://www.suntrolley.com). If you'll tell us your budget and travel dates, folks can make more specific hotel recommendations.

I too would not stay at the airport.

Lots of options.

But which one is for you depends on your budget and what type of location you want such as do you want to be on the beach or at some type of resort or is that not important to you.

Can you provide a little more information on what you want.

Keith

There is hundreds and hundreds of hotels. What kind of budget are you thinking? Are you willing to pay a few hundred a night for a better hotel or are you thinking lower cost/budget options?

I think people here know I'd recommend Margaritaville on Hollywood Beach by a mile over just about anything else in the area. It's the ultimate "Caribbean-style" resort right on the beach and the Hollywood Broadwalk and there isn't much else like it.

If you want to explore South Florida, then rent a car. I'd be happy to give you a few spots to check out if you are driving around if you can elaborate on where you would like to stay and explore.

What time of year?

For three full days along with the day you board, I would break up the time and, especially if you haven't been, I'd head to Miami Beach/South Beach too. This will take planning, but surely worth it. Renting a car is an option if you want to travel distances every day. Otherwise, I'd pick centrally located hotels...one in Ft. Lauderdale and one in the South Beach area. The first two nights in Fort L and the next two in South Beach area. No need for a car then. Uber and shuttle services are plentiful, convenient and not expensive.

Hello Dearies!!!

I am taking my DS (Dear Sister) on a quick holiday get-away out of Port Everglades at the end of January. We're in FLL just for the night. Is a hotel either in Plantation or perhaps the Westin just south of Pampano Beach too far away that by the time we would pay to Uber it from the airport to that area and then again to the port the next day that it would be just as cost effective to bite the bullet and stay in a hotel closer to the port? The difference in hotels for the night is nearly $100 in those areas compared to those near Port Everglades. What do you travel savvy folks think and advise?

Thanks, Dearies!!!

Toot-Toot!!!

Hello Dearies!!!

I am taking my DS (Dear Sister) on a quick holiday get-away out of Port Everglades at the end of January. We're in FLL just for the night. Is a hotel either in Plantation or perhaps the Westin just south of Pampano Beach too far away that by the time we would pay to Uber it from the airport to that area and then again to the port the next day that it would be just as cost effective to bite the bullet and stay in a hotel closer to the port? The difference in hotels for the night is nearly $100 in those areas compared to those near Port Everglades. What do you travel savvy folks think and advise?

Thanks, Dearies!!!

Toot-Toot!!!

Plantation would be the much better option vs Pompano. It's right down the highway (about 10 minutes from the port). Definitely stay in Plantation. Uber will run about $15 - $20. Note that you'll get on 595 in Plantation and the highway literally ends at the port entrance... it's barely 10 minutes. My last Uber ride from Cooper City (slightly further than Plantation) to the port was $17.46

Edited by BNBR

Plantation would be the much better option vs Pompano. It's right down the highway (about 10 minutes from the port). Definitely stay in Plantation. Uber will run about $15 - $20. Note that you'll get on 595 in Plantation and the highway literally ends at the port entrance... it's barely 10 minutes. My last Uber ride from Cooper City (slightly further than Plantation) to the port was $17.46

You're a real Dearie, BNBR!!! Thank you for your quick reply! A special "Toot-Toot" to you for taking the time to help me. God reward you for your goodness.

The CC community is like a wonderful extended family .... but without all the dysfunction and obligations of birthday cards and presents at Christmas! ;p

Cheerio, Dearies!!! :*

Hello Dearies!!!!

Miracle of miracles!!!!! I booked a very nice hotel in Plantation....and then found it cheaper on a "third party" site. So I was gifted with their "lowest rate guarantee" honoring the lower rate than what I originally booked directly through the hotel's site AND I received a $50 credit for my next stay with that hotelier. So....I thank you very much--and so does my pocket book--for the recommendation to look at Plantation as a viable option when wanting to avoid the inflated costs around the cruise port terminal near Port Everglades!!!!

Toot-Toot!!!

Cheerio, Dearies!!!!

We have reserved few days for "sightseeing" before and after the cruise so Key West would be one thing where we are planning to go. We would like to be somewhat close to city center and beach, so there would be different dinner/shopping options would be open. However, we dont know how much there is to see in Fort Lauderdale centrum?

What do you think about following e.g. hotels (and locations)?

- B Ocean Resort - location seems good at map - no complementary breakfast?

- Sonesta - beach hotel, is this too far away from centrum? - no complementary breakfast?

- Hyatt Place Ft. Lauderdale 17th Street Convention Center

- Best Western Plus Oceanside Inn

- Hilton Fort Lauderdale Marina

Key West?

- Where to book hotel there?

• 3 months later...
We have a friend that has a condo in the Pompano Beach area. We would like to stay by them. Are there hotels by there that can give us transportation to the Miami pier for a Saturday cruise?

Pompano is way out of the way for the port.

I would hotwire or priceline a hotel closer to the port.

I want to share my strategy:

1st. Hotel in the Northern area of FLL, that offers free parking and much lower rates than near the port/beach.

2nd. Car rental, so we can get around a bit.

3rd. On embarkation day, rental car will be utilized to get luggage and two others person to port, then a quick trip to return the rental which is close to the port anyway.

4th. low cost Uber ride back to the port saves money, saves hassle of moving luggage, and allows us to leave hotel when convenient for us; even if we want to make a quick stop for any last minutes needs.

Sharing is caring,

Scanditaly