Best way to get to Butchart Gardens at Night?

TardisDance

My family of 5 (me, DH, MIL, FIL, SIL) are going on an Alaska cruise on NCL Pearl. We are going to be in Victoria, BC on 6/16 in the evening 6 p.m. to 11:59 p.m. I've been doing some research and the Butchart Gardens looks interesting. However, the NCL excursion of $129 pp is a bit steep for 5 of us. Based on their website, they should be open to the public at later hours starting on 6/15. I saw posts about CVS tours picking up at the cruise port but that doesn't seem to be the case anymore. What would be the best way of getting there and then back to the port?

You could take a taxi. We did that a couple years ago. But, you would really need to make a deal with the driver to pick you up a few hours later or else you might not have a way to the ship - it's away from everything and at closing time there would be lots of people taking any available taxi. I would pick a set time and have the driver back to get you then. For five adults you would need to pick a cab that's a minivan or similar. You should be able to get the cab for about $50CAD each direction (plus tip) and the entry fee is about $35CAD each adult. I was just looking at the garden's web page and they have some suggestions for transportation for cruise passengers - you should check that since they are the subject matter experts.

If you were going during the day I would say a taxi.

Just keep in mind that if you have a problem getting a taxi on the return you do miss the ship.

Keith

Yeah, that's the problem. Upon further research, I didn't realize that Butchart Gardens is an hour away, so I'm not sure if it's worth it now. Any suggestions about other things that may be open in evening?

$ 316 plus tip.............private tour up to 7 people. Find another couple on the ship that might want to do the tour with you and divide the cost 7 ways and it would even be cheaper for you.

I'm pretty sure he could take you even at that late hour. These tour guys are pretty flexible.

https://www.toursbylocals.com/TBL/WebObjects/ToursByLocals.woa/1/wa/viewTourMonth?rm=5&wosid=uOqtb1lwcMtN1GXyEEmFSg#viewDateTime

We have used this site before to book private tours. Works well.

Says Cruise ship terminal is excluded...but I'm sure you can meet him somewhere else just outside the gates...........We were in Victoria this past June and I think he is just not allowed to go inside the gates because the cruiselines want you to book through them. I would contact him and see what arrangements can be done so he can still take you. I'm sure he will figure out something.

https://www.toursbylocals.com/TBL/WebObjects/ToursByLocals.woa/1/wo/uOqtb1lwcMtN1GXyEEmFSg/15.35.9.0

https://www.toursbylocals.com/ratings&tour=193974

Jimbo:)

Edited by Jimbo

First make sure you are going back to the boat on time, you can hire a local tour operator or the boat operator. I would not risk it if transport back to the ship is in doubt.

Wouldn't be a crime if you miss the ship anyway...............Victoria is the last night of the cruise anyway and Seattle is only 100 miles away. Could easily rent a car and drive it, only a ferry ride and 80 mile drive away from Seattle.

Pretty sure if you miss the ship you could arrive in Seattle way before that cruise ship gets there and meet back up with it.

Just be sure to take your passports !

Good Photo opportunity too............I have been on dozen of cruises and have taken lots of pictures and video's but I don't have any with my cruise ship sailing away from any of the piers........ great opportunity as I see it. Quote under the picture in the video " There goes my ship"

Edited by Jimbo

Wouldn't be a crime if you miss the ship anyway...............Victoria is the last night of the cruise anyway and Seattle is only 100 miles away. Could easily rent a car and drive it, only a ferry ride and 80 mile drive away from Seattle.

Pretty sure if you miss the ship you could arrive in Seattle way before that cruise ship gets there and meet back up with it.

And. someone else will pack your clothes for you to pick up pier side! Yea, no biggie... [emoji33]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Good Photo opportunity too............I have been on dozen of cruises and have taken lots of pictures and video's but I don't have any with my cruise ship sailing away from any of the piers........ great opportunity as I see it. Quote under the picture in the video " There goes my ship"

Yeah this trip is with my husband's parents and his sister, that would go over really well . . .:rolleyes:

I would just wander around the Inner Harbour, lots of action there. Victoria also has a lot of craft beer pubs to enjoy.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Any good pubs that you would recommend? Considering just walking the Inner Harbor, then walk down to see lit up Parliament Building, and then to Fairmont Empress.

If, based on your username OP, you also appreciate other aspects of Brit culture then Swans Brewpub is the ideal stop for you. Not only do they make their own British-style beers, they have a second beer cellar that serves those beers at the correct temperature and usually at least one hand-pulled, cask-conditioned brew. Spinnakers is much further to walk and also does the 2 beer cellar thing - Victoria is a relatively long term player on the craft beer scene. There are also shedloads of pubs along Government Street or just off it that serve a variety of products from multiple breweries, like Bard & Banker or Garrick's Head both of which are designed to look like Scottish and English pubs respectively.

As to the Butchart thing - without experiencing the tour guy recommended above I can't say if it would be a better or worse idea than just cabbing. With 6 hours (really 5 by the time you get off and get back 30mins before departure) you do have time to do the gardens properly (at least 3 hours on site even with traffic - it's about a 30min drive without traffic). Since it's a Saturday night, that means fireworks included in the entry fee (which IMO is too steep for what you get in summer on any day that does not include fireworks). It's a pretty good show - synchronized to music, with a nice large viewing area (you can pay extra - but tix sell out in advance most likely) for seats near the front, but it's actually much better to stay near the very top of the slope so you can get away as soon as the show finishes and beat the crowds back to your cab. Take a small flashlight unless you have good night vision - while paths are lit there's enough of a crowd to get in the way of low-level lighting and leave your feet in darkness, and if you're hustling you don't want to trip.

Fireworks do add SERIOUS traffic congestion getting out of the gardens, which has just one narrow access road, so paying a cabbie to literally park and wait for you (just over $30 an hour wait time, rates are set by law and identical across the board regardless of company) is the only safe way to play it - as long as you are in your cab before the last cruise tour bus is loaded the ship won't leave without you. Victoria to Seattle is only ~3 hours sailing if the captain boots it so schedule-wise they can afford to stay in port until 3 or 4 am without being late, but since it doesn't cost as much to sail in circles all night (compared with port fees) they will leave when the buses return...

If, based on your username OP, you also appreciate other aspects of Brit culture then Swans Brewpub is the ideal stop for you. Not only do they make their own British-style beers, they have a second beer cellar that serves those beers at the correct temperature and usually at least one hand-pulled, cask-conditioned brew. Spinnakers is much further to walk and also does the 2 beer cellar thing - Victoria is a relatively long term player on the craft beer scene. There are also shedloads of pubs along Government Street or just off it that serve a variety of products from multiple breweries, like Bard & Banker or Garrick's Head both of which are designed to look like Scottish and English pubs respectively.

As to the Butchart thing - without experiencing the tour guy recommended above I can't say if it would be a better or worse idea than just cabbing. With 6 hours (really 5 by the time you get off and get back 30mins before departure) you do have time to do the gardens properly (at least 3 hours on site even with traffic - it's about a 30min drive without traffic). Since it's a Saturday night, that means fireworks included in the entry fee (which IMO is too steep for what you get in summer on any day that does not include fireworks). It's a pretty good show - synchronized to music, with a nice large viewing area (you can pay extra - but tix sell out in advance most likely) for seats near the front, but it's actually much better to stay near the very top of the slope so you can get away as soon as the show finishes and beat the crowds back to your cab. Take a small flashlight unless you have good night vision - while paths are lit there's enough of a crowd to get in the way of low-level lighting and leave your feet in darkness, and if you're hustling you don't want to trip.

Fireworks do add SERIOUS traffic congestion getting out of the gardens, which has just one narrow access road, so paying a cabbie to literally park and wait for you (just over $30 an hour wait time, rates are set by law and identical across the board regardless of company) is the only safe way to play it - as long as you are in your cab before the last cruise tour bus is loaded the ship won't leave without you. Victoria to Seattle is only ~3 hours sailing if the captain boots it so schedule-wise they can afford to stay in port until 3 or 4 am without being late, but since it doesn't cost as much to sail in circles all night (compared with port fees) they will leave when the buses return...

No fireworks on June 16th. Plus the fireworks strart kind of late, so if making the ship before it leaves is an issue for you, that would really be cutting it close.

2018 Show Times:

Saturday, June 30

10:15 pm

Saturday, July 07

10:00 pm

Saturday, July 1410:00 pm

Saturday, July 21

9:45 pm

Saturday, July 28

9:45 pm

Saturday, August 04

9:30 pm

Saturday, August 11

9:15 pm

Saturday, August 18

9:15 pm

Saturday, August 25

9:00 pm

Saturday, September 01

8:45 pm

No fireworks on June 16th.

Thanks for the correction Jimbo - too late to edit my post unfortunately. I always associate the beginning of extended hours at Butchart with Saturday fireworks, that's obviously no longer the case. Sorry for the error TD!

Thanks for the correction Jimbo - too late to edit my post unfortunately. I always associate the beginning of extended hours at Butchart with Saturday fireworks, that's obviously no longer the case. Sorry for the error TD!

No problem, just didn't want the the OP to be mislead.

Interesting.....our Princess May 18th port stop 7-11:59pm is offering

most_popular.gifmost_popular_flag.gif

Enchanting Butchart Gardens

YYJ-310| VICTORIA

from 7:30 - 10:30 for 79.95 adult 34.95 for children

OP, Maybe your excursion, is giving an hour more time, but am surprised at the pricing even if it is in another month.

Now for you experts, I know I did this once before on our own, I think, a city bus took us?

I know someone mentioned on this thread about the gardens staying open late for the cruise ships.

Can anyone enter the park on the cruise ship nights in May .....since it does not show on the gardens schedule?

And would our best bet be to go with the cruise ship?

No crime...but it would be a pain in the BUTT!:D