From the cow kings to an Empress, Norton goes on a little Sojourn

I have a Nikon Coolpix b700 camera with a 60x optical zoom that worked well for wildlife. This was from an excursion out of Prince Rupert. I must say that it takes a lot of picture taking to get one centered well when taken from a boat. But you can do it.

a47c7d0eacd75fe6c0a5b0d1a179afd2.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Unfortunately, I don't know how much control you have over a Coolpix but the bear is out of focus and the photo is under-exposed. The focus issue is probably because the camera's autofocus lacks precision and cannot distinguish between the bear and the sedge grass. The under-exposure is something that can be handled in post-processing.

That doesn't mean you cannot get really good photos from that kind of camera. But you have much less control to get exactly what you want.

Modern DSLRs have highly sophisticated autofocus. They also give you the option to vary the focal length in order to get more or less depth of field as well as many other sophisticated features. The problem is that you need a lens that is going to give you the reach so that you can get the photo just how you want it. And that costs money. The lens I am looking at is around $1200 and the convertor another $500 and it isn't even considered a 'professional' lens but rather one for an 'enthusiast'.

For me it is worth it because I am into photography. For others a 'point and shoot' is wholly adequate.

Edited by Roxburgh

Unfortunately, I don't know how much control you have over a Coolpix but the bear is out of focus and the photo is under-exposed. The focus issue is probably because the camera's autofocus lacks precision and cannot distinguish between the bear and the sedge grass. The under-exposure is something that can be handled in post-processing.

That doesn't mean you cannot get really good photos from that kind of camera. But you have much less control to get exactly what you want.

Modern DSLRs have highly sophisticated autofocus. They also give you the option to vary the focal length in order to get more or less depth of field as well as many other sophisticated features. The problem is that you need a lens that is going to give you the reach so that you can get the photo just how you want it. And that costs money. The lens I am looking at is around $1200 and the convertor another $500 and it isn't even considered a 'professional' lens but rather one for an 'enthusiast'.

For me it is worth it because I am into photography. For others a 'point and shoot' is wholly adequate.

I freely admit that I don’t use a tenth of the control the camera has because I don’t use it enough. However, before you judge the quality too harshly, remember the picture had to be reduced in file size to be able to upload it here. The original is sharper. As an “enthusiast”, I am pleased with it and that is all that matters. Enjoy your photo taking.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The Alaska camera conundrum is very frustrating. Not being a photo enthusiast, top level smartphone cameras (which keep getting better) meet my needs 98% of the time. However, Alaska really requires some reasonable zoom to capture everything you'd want to photograph. From what I read, pocket-sized zoom point & shoots aren't any better quality than iPhone/Pixel cameras, with diminishing quality as you employ zoom. Even the larger P&S's like the Coolpix 700 or 900, though superior to smartphone cameras, have focus quality issues at zoom. Of course, all of these critiques are from a photo enthusiast's POV, so my MMV, but I do see the focus issues in SoBaycruiser's photo, so... As a very casual camera user I'm wary to spend mid-hundreds on a P&S camera little better than an iPhone/Pixel and really don't want to invest the $1,000+ for a proper DLSR setup (and have to learn it) for potentially a one-off situation. OTOH, relying on an iPhone whilst wearing gloves in a zodiak doesn't seem the wisest choice either. There's seemingly no good choice. /rant

(Sorry, I know this isn't the thread or forum for this, but since it was mentioned in the last few posts I took the chance to vent. Carry on.)

The Alaska camera conundrum is very frustrating. Not being a photo enthusiast, top level smartphone cameras (which keep getting better) meet my needs 98% of the time. However, Alaska really requires some reasonable zoom to capture everything you'd want to photograph. From what I read, pocket-sized zoom point & shoots aren't any better quality than iPhone/Pixel cameras, with diminishing quality as you employ zoom. Even the larger P&S's like the Coolpix 700 or 900, though superior to smartphone cameras, have focus quality issues at zoom. Of course, all of these critiques are from a photo enthusiast's POV, so my MMV, but I do see the focus issues in SoBaycruiser's photo, so... As a very casual camera user I'm wary to spend mid-hundreds on a P&S camera little better than an iPhone/Pixel and really don't want to invest the $1,000+ for a proper DLSR setup (and have to learn it) for potentially a one-off situation. OTOH, relying on an iPhone whilst wearing gloves in a zodiak doesn't seem the wisest choice either. There's seemingly no good choice. /rant

(Sorry, I know this isn't the thread or forum for this, but since it was mentioned in the last few posts I took the chance to vent. Carry on.)

There are companies that will let you rent cameras/lenses. However were I to go that route I'd make sure to pad both ends of the rental. The front to ensure I had it before I left and to figure out how it works (youtubes helpful here) at the back in case there's a delay returning.

2 June was another sea day.

While someone had somewhat up-righted the Charlie Brown tree they were missing Linus' blanket.

i-qHvXLxm-XL.jpg

I gather Alaska season is either packed with children or a time when a lot of grandparents buy toys for the grand kids.

i-4Wf52HN-XL.jpg

A little out of place

i-fWLsx4b-XL.jpg

A Coke commercial meets Frozen in Alaska on Seabourn.

i-Jdjs3ns-XL.jpg

For the people behaving badly photo I had three contestants. The first took her sandals off and was using one of the chairs in Seabourn square as a foot rest. The second was an accident. While going through pictures I'd taken in the square I found someone in the background mining for nasal gold. The third was the most benign. I guess on Seabourn shoes and shirt are not required for service.

i-q7ZfL2L-XL.jpg

I think this was the busiest I saw a hot tub on this trip.

i-Z6SQDXG-XL.jpg

Something I hadn't seen before: Crepes Suzette being offered at tea time. Sadly any flambe work was still done out of sight.

i-6gRhfJ3-XL.jpg

We were very close to land for this portion of the cruise.

i-kw6R5DP-XL.jpg

Dolphins were enjoying playing in the wake (bad timing picture)

i-Xm8ktQW-XL.jpg

Tonight was the last formal night.

i-Vt2prqs-XL.jpg

i-Z7kdp4X-XL.jpg

There are companies that will let you rent cameras/lenses. However were I to go that route I'd make sure to pad both ends of the rental. The front to ensure I had it before I left and to figure out how it works (youtubes helpful here) at the back in case there's a delay returning.

Our local camera shop (Rollies if you are ever in Sedona) does rentals and they are also pretty knowledgeable when it comes to giving advice. For me it is a good way to try out the lens before splashing $1200 as well as giving a good local shop some business.

So check your camera shop if a rental is of interest.

3 June we were in Victoria. It was our final stop of the trip before we hit Vancouver and disembarked. It reminded me I really don't care for the pre-disembarkation day being a port day.

i-qqrXPnj-XL.jpg

The weather was on/off rain and Sebourn provided a shuttle into town that dropped you off essentially at the Empress Hotel.

I finally saw whales this trip. They were about twenty feet from our bus stop. Odd location. But still, finally whales.

i-HrS7mHq-XL.jpg

We had reservations for tea and as on my previous visit the main entrance was now closed.

i-sW7RP5T-XL.jpg

Apparently Fairmont sold the hotel to a local family who has engaged in tearing out some of the history from the building.

i-HQw9xtV-XL.jpg

The unique shops and restaurants that occupied these space when I first visited are no more (also the Bengal lounge was removed and the Raj restaurant turned into a generic anywhere place). Replaced by the type of thing you can find in any big city.

i-GzSSgxD-XL.jpg

Eventually we were seated for tea. They no longer have anything labeled as their house blend and seem to have added a few more upcharge options to their list.

i-h8fN9vQ-XL.jpg

Our local camera shop (Rollies if you are ever in Sedona) does rentals and they are also pretty knowledgeable when it comes to giving advice. For me it is a good way to try out the lens before splashing $1200 as well as giving a good local shop some business.

So check your camera shop if a rental is of interest.

I haven't been to Sedona for forever. There was a French inn/restaurant right on the river that I used to like. Sitting out there as the sun went down listening to the river flow by and the heat of the day disappear with a nice cocktail or glass of wine was a pleasant way to pass the time. Getting stuck on 89 behind a RV or other slow mover I don't miss at all:evilsmile:

This pattern is no longer unique to the Empress and is used at other Fairmont properties. Also available online.

i-sVzs45H-XL.jpg

i-m6jtBx8-XL.jpg

i-SjBFPB3-XL.jpg

The food was served on a their tiered caddy with each level having a different type of offering. The lowest tier housed two scones along with jam and clotted cream. The jam and clotted cream for the scones were served in scant amounts. Other than that they were good.

i-KwxDsJP-XL.jpg

The second tier held little sandwiches and other savory items.

i-RHWzWSf-XL.jpg

The top tier cradled the sweets.

i-VL75LPq-XL.jpg

It was nice but IMO Rieds has it beat in quality and view

Yes, I've thought about rental but concern about learning curve, about being responsible for someone else's equipment and frankly the pro & cons of totting a big camera on excursions etc. have dissuaded me from investigating that option. Perhaps a trip to a local camera store is in order, at least to see available options. Thx.

The dear old Empress has undergone extensive renovations, not all of them improvements. We walked through the shopping arcade pictured above and, as on previous visits, were pounced on by the very persistent salesman from the art shop. His technique would put a Turkish rug salesman to shame.

4 June was disembarkation day. Always a very non luxurious end to any cruise. Seabourn however seems to want people out of their rooms earlier than other lines. So by 8 I was out of my room waiting for my color to be called. Aside from the time the only issue with disembarkation was that once you were through everything and in the pickup area it was a 30 minute wait for your car. Wanted a taxi? There are a few hundred people ahead of you for that. Something about three ships being in the same port at the same time isn't conducive to swiftness.

The flight home was on Air Canada. The lounge had a nice view (service made American carriers look good:eek:) I guess they knew their core business class passengers (not for my tastes).

i-4Vx99Pp-XL.jpg

i-5vWzqs7-XL.jpg

i-N9Vv7tX-XL.jpg

That concludes the pictorial portion of this trip.:cool:

I could summarize the cruise this way: Bars, the TK Grill and Colonnade (with a few exceptions) and Seabourn Square were what I've come to expect on Seabourn. The rest of the experience is what I'd imagine a bad Carnival cruise would be like. Further if what other passengers frequently alluded to was true (HAL management transfers rather than promoting from within) I'll not be setting foot on a HAL ship.

I'm hoping this cruise was an aberration and maybe after a few keel haulings things will return to a higher standard.:confused:

I could summarize the cruise this way: Bars, the TK Grill and Colonnade (with a few exceptions) and Seabourn Square were what I've come to expect on Seabourn. The rest of the experience is what I'd imagine a bad Carnival cruise would be like. Further if what other passengers frequently alluded to was true (HAL management transfers rather than promoting from within) I'll not be setting foot on a HAL ship.

I'm hoping this cruise was an aberration and maybe after a few keel haulings things will return to a higher standard.:confused:

Thanks for your super photos and videos and for sharing your thoughts with us.

We had the Seabourn transfer and we were off the ship and on our way in 20 minutes. Would have been sooner but the last couple overslept. The driver gave a nice tour and sicusaion on our way to the airport. We enjoyed the air Canada Lounge and the soups served were delicious. Nice that they had unfettered access to alcohol unlike the United Lounge.

Air New Zealand is still the lounge to beat as it was fantastic. AirCanad was on time for our flight to LA so we experienced no problems with Business Class. All but two seats were other Seabourn passengers.

Thank you so much, Emperor, for all your pictures and effort, and also thanks to other contributors!

I feel like I had a mini-cruise to help me with withdrawal pains from getting off my cruise on HL last week.Cruise addicts should not go cold turkey :cool:

I look forward to your upcoming Regent picture book ( no pressure, of course . . .).

as I said, the person who paid this, (if they in fact did) should be sacked immediately! He or she should not be allowed access to Seabourn money! This is just pure waste. Are you sure they weren't $300? NOT $3000?

Well, it may be that those trees had to be grown and cared for in a special/ sterile environment. It's not that you can just rip a plant out of the ground and pop it in the same soil 10 km down the road.

My parents in Austria run a nursery (for plants 🌱), and whenever they get deliveries of tropical or non native material, that stuff comes pretty much void of any trace of soil or dirt, but with notes "grown under controlled condituons" ( or some phrase like that).

But of course there may be a certain up-charge from the seller to some "rich" client. It's like when you want to hire a limousine to go to a party it's $100, but you mention the word WEDDING and they charge you $400 for the same thing.

Buchhalm, I understand people who choose to be vegetarians for various reasons ( I once lived next door to a slaughterhouse and remain surprised I did not become one) but last I looked, “Mord”, murder, refers to killing of human beings ( Menschen), not animals, and implying meat eaters are part of a murderous chain is not helpful.

BTW, SB had very good vegetarian appetizer and entree options on my cruises with them, and I often preferred those to the meats.

“Definition von Mord im Wörterbuch Deutsch

vorsätzliche Tötung eines oder mehrerer Menschen “

Buchhalm, I understand people who choose to be vegetarians for various reasons ( I once lived next door to a slaughterhouse and remain surprised I did not become one) but last I looked, “Mord”, murder, refers to killing of human beings ( Menschen), not animals, and implying meat eaters are part of a murderous chain is not helpful.

BTW, SB had very good vegetarian appetizer and entree options on my cruises with them, and I often preferred those to the meats.

“Definition von Mord im Wörterbuch Deutsch

vorsätzliche Tötung eines oder

mehrerer Menschen “

Please don't overthink it!

This is an Old line from a Bavarian comedian, making fun if the fact that one really doesn't know what's in a sausage.

Losely translated it says:

Sausage: chopped up body parts of murdered animals, stuffed into their own poop shoots....