Crown Grill food allergy question

JC in CA

We will be on the Grand Princess in May and are thinking about dining in the Crown Grill.

Looking at the menu (May, 2017 that I found online) my husband is allergic to 3 of the appetizers and won't eat the other. (Three contain shellfish, the other is beef tartare.) So I am wondering if there are other off menu items or what they can do to help a shell fish allergy. Perhaps order both a soup and salad?

Has anyone had any experience with this?

thanks for any info!

-Jerie

I would approach the head waiter at the Crown Grill the evening prior to your reservation to discuss options. Also, any appetizer on the menu in the MDR would be available to your husband in the Crown Grill. Check the dinner menu posted near the entrance of one of the MDRs sometime during the day to see whether there might be an appetizer of interest.

No personal experience with the allergies but lots of visits to the Crown Grill. We have always found them willing to modify items so I suspect you could order a soup and salad as the two courses. He could also just skip the appetizer course and still have plenty to eat.

No personal experience with the allergies but lots of visits to the Crown Grill. We have always found them willing to modify items so I suspect you could order a soup and salad as the two courses. He could also just skip the appetizer course and still have plenty to eat.

Excellent, thank you!

Great, thank you

Edited by JC in CA
duplicate response

No experience, but I would suggest you speak with the CG head waiter regarding your reservation. Princess is really good with allergies.

thank you, good to know

I did notice a spot in the Cruise Personalizer that I could list food allergies. Wasn't thinking I would since her can easily choose dishes that don't contain shellfish.

I would approach the head waiter at the Crown Grill the evening prior to your reservation to discuss options. Also, any appetizer on the menu in the MDR would be available to your husband in the Crown Grill. Check the dinner menu posted near the entrance of one of the MDRs sometime during the day to see whether there might be an appetizer of interest.

Thanks Lew. Didn't realize that MDR appetizers might be able to be substituted. This is very good to know.

You can definitely order both a soup and salad. My suggestion would be that you talk with the head server from the Crown Grill before your dining time to make them aware of the situation. They may arrange some alternative selections or allow him to choose from the menu in advance so they will be fully prepared for his needs.

Depending on the person, there can be a lot more to an allergy than "can't eat this food." There is the concern about "cross contamination" where a food may touch a grill or cooking surface that may not have been adequately cleaned, or plated using a utensil that was previously used on another food. For an allergy issue that the staff knows of, they will assure that there is no cross contamination--each time a tool or utensil touches an item, it is fresh and clean.

You can definitely order both a soup and salad. My suggestion would be that you talk with the head server from the Crown Grill before your dining time to make them aware of the situation. They may arrange some alternative selections or allow him to choose from the menu in advance so they will be fully prepared for his needs.

Depending on the person' date=' there can be a lot more to an allergy than "can't eat this food." There is the concern about "cross contamination" where a food may touch a grill or cooking surface that may not have been adequately cleaned, or plated using a utensil that was previously used on another food. For an allergy issue that the staff knows of, they will assure that there is no cross contamination--each time a tool or utensil touches an item, it is fresh and clean.[/quote']

Thank you. His allergy isn't severe, yet, but he does react to shellfish. We definitely don't want his reaction to become severe, so he stays away from all shellfish.

We will definitely talk to the Crown Grill in advance.

I have a life-threatening crustacean allergy and dine in the Crown Grill every sailing we’re on - well, maybe only half of the 1NTers, but all the rest.

In any event, it’s never been an issue. I often have an appetizer portion of a finfish offering alongside a salad and soup and a meat entree. They’ve been super accommodating and in hundreds of nights on board, I’ve never had so much as a slight reaction.

Take the galley tour some time and see how they isolate allergens in the Main Dining Room. It’s incredibly impressive.

I have a life-threatening crustacean allergy and dine in the Crown Grill every sailing we’re on - well, maybe only half of the 1NTers, but all the rest.

In any event, it’s never been an issue. I often have an appetizer portion of a finfish offering alongside a salad and soup and a meat entree. They’ve been super accommodating and in hundreds of nights on board, I’ve never had so much as a slight reaction.

Take the galley tour some time and see how they isolate allergens in the Main Dining Room. It’s incredibly impressive.

Thank you!

We will be on the Grand Princess in May and are thinking about dining in the Crown Grill.

Looking at the menu (May, 2017 that I found online) my husband is allergic to 3 of the appetizers and won't eat the other. (Three contain shellfish, the other is beef tartare.) So I am wondering if there are other off menu items or what they can do to help a shell fish allergy. Perhaps order both a soup and salad?

Has anyone had any experience with this?

thanks for any info!

-Jerie

Obviously, there will be the notation: "Please notify your server if anyone in your party has a food allergy" on the menu. Just meet with the Maître D well before your meal. Don't just walk in & expect miracles to happen. Let the staff know a day(or more in advance)that way they can tailor the menu more to the needs of your husband.

I’m allergic to shellfish and Tuna. I always note it in personalizer. I’ve never had a problem in the Crown Grill or Sabatinis. We do late seating in the MDR and ,on the first night, my waiter will invariably ask about the allergy. I find Princess very good about it.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I’m allergic to shellfish and Tuna. I always note it in personalizer. I’ve never had a problem in the Crown Grill or Sabatinis. We do late seating in the MDR and ,on the first night, my waiter will invariably ask about the allergy. I find Princess very good about it.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thank you for mentioning that- I just went and checked the Cruise Personalizer and found the "food allergy" box. Checked it and wrote shellfish. I will also make sure to talk to the Crown Grill prior to dining there.

thanks!

-Jerie

Thank you for mentioning that- I just went and checked the Cruise Personalizer and found the "food allergy" box. Checked it and wrote shellfish. I will also make sure to talk to the Crown Grill prior to dining there.

thanks!

-Jerie

I also have a shellfish allergy & had never noted it in cruise personalizer because I felt I could just pick & choose what was safe to eat, but on the last cruise when asking about ingredients in a dish the waiter had the headwaiter come over & talk to us (my sister also has allergies) & every night after that he would bring the menu for the next night & help us to pick out our meals (he was even able to get her some dishes she wouldn't have been able to order because the sides had her allergens but he had them make them with out those) it gave us more options (& we got to see the menu earlier) & I will always fill out the allergy section from now on.:D

I also have a shellfish allergy & had never noted it in cruise personalizer because I felt I could just pick & choose what was safe to eat, but on the last cruise when asking about ingredients in a dish the waiter had the headwaiter come over & talk to us (my sister also has allergies) & every night after that he would bring the menu for the next night & help us to pick out our meals (he was even able to get her some dishes she wouldn't have been able to order because the sides had her allergens but he had them make them with out those) it gave us more options (& we got to see the menu earlier) & I will always fill out the allergy section from now on.:D

Thank you Travlin Sisters! Very good info. I'm glad I updated Cruise Personalizer with his food allergy.