Should I make changes due to Irma?

dijid

I'm scheduled to fly to FLL Thursday morning and then to depart Miami on Friday on Carnival Victory. I was planning to take an Uber from FLL to my Miami Beach hotel, and then Uber to the port on Friday at lunch time. Now I'm thinking that may not be such a good idea given that everyone should be preparing for Irma's arrival and a lot of people may have already left town. (Surge pricing perhaps?)

Sooo...Those of you more familiar with this type of thing, would it be wise to book a one way rental car from FLL to Miami? And should I change my hotel to one closer to the port? Maybe even walking distance (I consider less than 2 miles walking distance). I'm just at a loss on how to handle this one as everything looks fine for us to fly on Thursday and the odds seem good that the cruise will depart on Friday. (For what will probably end up a CTN)

We are flying out Thurs to Miami and I am not changing anything at this time. Our cruise is also on Friday, but not on Carnival. Still five days out for Irma and impossible to know what part of Florida she will hit. I have a friend who lives near Ft Lauderdale and his opinion is that Miami will be ok. I am trusting his judgment.

We are flying out Thurs to Miami and I am not changing anything at this time. Our cruise is also on Friday, but not on Carnival. Still five days out for Irma and impossible to know what part of Florida she will hit. I have a friend who lives near Ft Lauderdale and his opinion is that Miami will be ok. I am trusting his judgment.

How are you planning to get around? I'm mostly concerned with transportation at this point. Irma's winds should arrive Friday night, and I'd be more concerned with preparing than driving a cab/shuttle/uber if I were a resident.

I am talking about next Friday the 15th. Irma will be long gone before then.

How are you planning to get around? I'm mostly concerned with transportation at this point. Irma's winds should arrive Friday night, and I'd be more concerned with preparing than driving a cab/shuttle/uber if I were a resident.

I am talking about next Friday the 15th. Irma will be long gone before then.

You will be fine. Unless its a direct hit Miami will be up and running by then. If its a direct hit all bets are off. It could take a few weeks to get back to some normal levels of service and electricity.

Downtown Miami would be the best bet for normal life starting the quickest with electricity usually going on there first because of the important city buildings.

To the OP. There will be ways to get around, not sure how surge pricing will be but you'll be able to get around with a taxi or Uber. Businesses are open, stores are open etc.. and they will remain open until at least Friday night. You'll be fine with getting into Miami Beach Thursday and to the port Friday IMO.

Since Carnival cancelled my cruise, this has become a moot point. (I'm relieved to have them cancel.) There are already stories of long lines for gas, and with the refineries in Houston being offline, the price of gas is rising, so I expect costs for an Uber could also be going up.

I am hoping that something comes up that changes Irma's path and spares everyone because right now it doesn't look good for the area.

Pretty much my thoughts. Thankfully our hotel is downtown. Watching and praying that there won't be too much damage!

You will be fine. Unless its a direct hit Miami will be up and running by then. If its a direct hit all bets are off. It could take a few weeks to get back to some normal levels of service and electricity.

Downtown Miami would be the best bet for normal life starting the quickest with electricity usually going on there first because of the important city buildings.

To the OP. There will be ways to get around, not sure how surge pricing will be but you'll be able to get around with a taxi or Uber. Businesses are open, stores are open etc.. and they will remain open until at least Friday night. You'll be fine with getting into Miami Beach Thursday and to the port Friday IMO.

There has been lot of announcements of businesses and restaurants closing. Instacart stopped last night and canceled orders. Uber has been off line since this afternoon. No one is going to waste their gas when the majority of gas stations don't have any today!

I really pray you are right about things getting back to normal quickly here in the Brickell/downtown areas. Being up on the 43rd floor is kind of freaking me out! And they just ordered mandatory evacuations.

Stay safe!

There has been lot of announcements of businesses and restaurants closing. Instacart stopped last night and canceled orders. Uber has been off line since this afternoon. No one is going to waste their gas when the majority of gas stations don't have any today!

I really pray you are right about things getting back to normal quickly here in the Brickell/downtown areas. Being up on the 43rd floor is kind of freaking me out! And they just ordered mandatory evacuations.

Stay safe!

I'll be heading to Miami Lakes stay in a shuttered up house. Stay safe as well! We are prepared, we will be ok.

According to a website I cannot name

Carnival Cruise Line, Royal Caribbean, Norwegian Cruise Line, Disney Cruise Line, and have all canceled cruises this coming weekend due to Hurricane Irma.

Norwegian Cruise Line

• Norwegian Sky – September 8
  • Norwegian Escape – September 9

All cruise fares will be refunded 100% and guests will receive a 50% future cruise credit.

Carnival Cruise Line

• Carnival Liberty – September 7
  • Carnival Victory – September 8

Carnival will be processing an automatic full refund, including any pre-purchased Carnival Adventures, Fun Shop purchases and beverage packages. The refund will be processed to your original form of payment within three weeks.

Sponsored Links

Royal Caribbean

• Empress of the Seas – September 9
  • Enchantment of the Seas – September 8
  • Majesty of the Seas – September 8

The cruise fare and fees will be 100% refunded to the original form of payment, and we are also offering a 25% future cruise credit, based on the cruise fare, if a new cruise is booked in the next 30 days.

Disney Cruise Line

• Disney Fantasy – September 9
  • Disney Dream – September 8
  • Disney Dream – September 11

Does anyone know of any cruise cancellations?

Miami is basically closed. The area where the port is located is under mandatory evacuation!!

We left Brickell this morning at 11 am and at 6:33 pm and I still have 70 miles to get to Orlando.

That's not what I posted. Please copy and paste the part of my post where I stated there wouldn't be damage.

Okay you're right everything's Rose's Irma is just fake it doesn't exist everything's going to be fine things are coming up roses

o

Even if it was, it isn't now. But I'm not saying this can't be bad and probably will be. EspecIally for our beloved Keys.

there is speculation it will make landfall in Florida as a cat 5 and is predicted to enter Alabama as a cat 3. trying to down-play it means people will die. 65 people died during Andrew and IRMA is much larger.

there is speculation it will make landfall in Florida as a cat 5 and is predicted to enter Alabama as a cat 3. trying to down-play it means people will die. 65 people died during Andrew and IRMA is much larger.

No one is "down playing" it. :rolleyes:

Stay safe!

Hi.

Hope you all are somewhere safe. Will be thinking about all of you. Stay safe.