Taking an independent excursion in mahogany bay roatan honduras

cruisinglady65

Hi i am going to be in Mahogany Bay Honduras and want to take an Independent Excursion there....Has anyone have taken an independent excursion there...I am looking to go to Tabyana Beach...and my question is....Do the independent cruise operators pick passengers up right at the dock itself, or do we have to walk outside the gates of Mahogany Bay....if we have to walk outside, is this a very long walk before we get to the tour operators....would appreciate a reply on this.....

Also if i deceide to take the Cruise Excursion to the beach, do we still have a long walk, or they pick passengers up pier side...:):cool::confused::ship::tropical-drink:

Hi i am going to be in Mahogany Bay Honduras and want to take an Independent Excursion there....Has anyone have taken an independent excursion there...I am looking to go to Tabyana Beach...and my question is....Do the independent cruise operators pick passengers up right at the dock itself, or do we have to walk outside the gates of Mahogany Bay....if we have to walk outside, is this a very long walk before we get to the tour operators....would appreciate a reply on this.....

Also if i deceide to take the Cruise Excursion to the beach, do we still have a long walk, or they pick passengers up pier side...:):cool::confused::ship::tropical-drink:

Tabayana Beach itself is restricted to people on ship's excursions. There are AI's next door that you can visit but you can't get to Tabayana unless you are on an excursion.

To answer the rest of your question Mahogany Bay is run by CCL, and you have to leave the property by going out the gate and over the hill to meet private excursions.

Ship excursions are picked up much closer but it is still a bit of a walk.

Since Mahogany Bay is owned and operated by the cruise line, only ship's excursions can pick up inside. Independent excursions meet at the gates. It has been some time since I've been there, but I remember it being a good distance up a hill.

However, there are taxi's in the compound you can take.

Remember, one of the major reasons for using ship sponsored excursions is the guarantee the ship waiting for your return. Our favorite sport was waiting at the rail in Mazatlan watching fools arriving at dock after ship's push back.

Many years ago we were on the 1st ship to stop in Roatan and took a cab, along the beach, to Tabyanna. It was like swimming in an aquarium with all the fish. There were so many flies you had to keep one hand moving over your food.

Later on, we wanted to go back but as was said it was for ship's excursions but our cabbie took us to the hotel right next to Tabyanna. We walked from the hotel beach right to Tabyanna - the beaches adjoined each other.

Have you joined the Roll Call for your cruise? there may be others there planning private tours you could join.

Cruise lines do NOT guarantee to hold the ship if one of their excursions is late. They will hold it IF THEY CAN and get you to the next port if they can't. My experience is that the overwhelming number of people who miss the ship have gotten drunk in a local bar and lost track of time.

If you are docking in Mahogany Bay, I'll assume you are on Carnival. Their Tabayana Beach Day gives you RT transportation, a lounger, security guards (do tip them) to watch your stuff, showers, restrooms, and live music for $39 or 40/pp.

I don't think you could match that cost independently, at least not for all that's included. I did a few cab rides to Tabayana and other sections of West Bay Beach when Carnival used the old Coxen Hole dock, which was a lot closer to Tabayana than Mahogany Bay, but for me there is no advantage to climbing up the hill to get an independent guide or even a regular cab.

Anyway, JMO that however you do decide to go to Tabayana, it'll be a whole lot better than staying at the MB beach right at the Port. I've enjoyed Tabayana so much that I've stayed at Infinity Bay, the condo/hotel adjacent to Tabayana twice for week long land vacations.

Remember, one of the major reasons for using ship sponsored excursions is the guarantee the ship waiting for your return. Our favorite sport was waiting at the rail in Mazatlan watching fools arriving at dock after ship's push back.

Also enjoyed that but would point out that they were likely local drinkers at the bar and not people from private excursions.