Holes punched in cards?

Moz

We bring our own hole puncher and do it carefully so as not to get the magnetic strip. It passes time while waiting to board and you'd be surprised how many people you will meet when they see you are doing it. We punched around 20 cards for others before and whenever we bumped into them on the ship it was always pleasant.

Reception desk will gladly punch a hole in your card.

Don't forget to bring a lanyard from home.

Especially if you like bling-y type lanyards. One of my friends on our recent Gem cruise couldn't find a bling-y one on the ship and tried to find one in port. She finally got one towards the end of the cruise.

Make sure you pay attention to who is punching your card. My friend got his punched in the gift shop and it was on the bar code. He got a new card and someone else punched his magnetic strip. Finally got new one and had it done correctly at guest services.

Candi

I hope I am not hijacking this thread, but why do you have your card punched?

I like having it attached to me so I hang it on my "official" NCL Lanyard (which I managed to lose before my last cruise...) and it is always there to open the cabin door, get me into the thermal suite or charge items to during the trip. I suspect having it on a lanyard isn't exactly high fashion but neither is the rest of me! :cool:

Make sure you pay attention to who is punching your card. My friend got his punched in the gift shop and it was on the bar code. He got a new card and someone else punched his magnetic strip. Finally got new one and had it done correctly at guest services.

Candi

The BAR CODE is what is read getting on and off the ship and entering your stateroom.

The BAR CODE is on the front of the key card.

The Magnetic Stripe is what is used to purchase drinks and merchandise (card swiping).

The Magnetic Stripe is on the back of the key card.

Leave room to disconnect your lanyard device or pass the whole thing to the waiter recording

the sale in a swiping device.

NCL is not quite there yet in technology to "Beam my purchase to my account by voice command" !

But until then - there is - magnetic swiping - CAUTION - over swiping can be hazardous to your wealth !

Those "room keys" which CAN BE punched at all are old technology. Other cruise lines are beginning to use "keys" which are embedded with transmission tech that cannot be punched ANYWHERE unfortunately. And then there are the RCCL "wow" bands...

I love beading the lanyards myself. This way I can do several to match my clothes! I've been known to give several away while on the cruise too! It's fun.;p

Great idea! :cool: I'm going to tell her about you making them to match your clothes, I'm sure she'd love that too.