Oasis dining to go?

Hi all! I’ll be on the Oasis this spring with my wife & two kids (3 & 5 yo). My daughter has celiac disease & must have a strict gluten-free diet, so unfortunately room service is not an option for us.

I tend to be an early riser while everyone else sleeps a little later. The idea of breakfast on our balcony while everyone gets ready for the day is very appealing. I know Johnny rockets and the main dining room are safe for gluten free food. My question to you all: will they prepare it to-go so I can bring 4 meals back to the room in the morning while everyone else sleeps in?

Obviously for breakfast on the balcony, room service is the preferred choice (and I’d happily pay for it), but it just won’t be an option for us.

Any thoughts on this question or other comments about safe gluten free dining for a 5 year old sincerely appreciated! Thanks in advance for your input!

as general rule take out is not an option. and how do you plan on carrying 4 plates or more? I do not recall trays being available even in the WJ the last couple of cruises.

why is RS not an option? you can get cooked eggs and fruit and bacon/potatoes.

From what I’ve read, room service is not safe because of cross contamination potential, but several of the restaurants are good options to avoid cross contamination issues. I wasn’t really thinking of taking 4 plates that look like plates you’d eat at a restaurant table, but more curious if it could be prepared in a convenient to-go option (covered plates, to-go boxes, etc.). Really just looking for any advice or experiences on good options for a kid with a food allergy to eat on her balcony (no matter how much work or money it entails for dad). Thanks!

You could order room service for those without restrictions...and run and pick up your daughters food....you and room service should be back at the same time!

Definitely a good idea! As a general rule we all eat GF together so she’s not excluded (and my wife & I don’t inadvertently cross contaminate her), so I’d prefer to have safe GF options for 4, but this is definitely a doable idea for a plan B if I can’t make that happen. Thanks!

With a true case of Celiac (my son as well as your daughter) you are correct to not trust room service. Cross contamination is a true concern. I would talk to the head waiter in the main dining room your first night and ask for suggestions. You may be able to order and take them back with the cloches.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

With a true case of Celiac (my son as well as your daughter) you are correct to not trust room service. Cross contamination is a true concern. I would talk to the head waiter in the main dining room your first night and ask for suggestions. You may be able to order and take them back with the cloches.

Good idea! I’ll definitely be talking with them the first night about my daughter’s celiac and best options for the week. I’m sure if I explain I’d love to have breakfast for the small kids in the room they’ll have ideas!

Have you cruised RC with your celiac son? Any other tips? I’m encouraged reading that they are good with food allergies, but always looking for more info to help make this an easy trip food-wise for us. Thanks!

When my son ended up on crutches on the Allure last year. He had so:e difficulty getting around. I had a 2 minute chat with the F&B manager who subsequently arranged dining room food sent up to our room.

So, i hope you will have the same accommodation afforded to you child.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Good idea! I’ll definitely be talking with them the first night about my daughter’s celiac and best options for the week. I’m sure if I explain I’d love to have breakfast for the small kids in the room they’ll have ideas!

Have you cruised RC with your celiac son? Any other tips? I’m encouraged reading that they are good with food allergies, but always looking for more info to help make this an easy trip food-wise for us. Thanks!

We’ve not cruised with RC, but have with Celebrity and Disney several times each. Both were very accommodating and very well informed about gluten free dining. Cruise staff are always so great with children. Many of them have their own at home and miss them terribly. They really go out of their way for the kids.

We do bring GF snacks to keep in the room. Kids always seem to be hungry and it is easy to have something my son can eat without worry or having to double check for gluten.

Oh yes we’re definitely planning on bringing plenty of their regular GF snacks (individually wrapped in snack sizes) not only for the room but also for the ports where I’ll be even more concerned about lack of GF options. You’re right, not to having to check for simple snacks is such a time & energy saver! Until 3 years ago I had never read a food label and now my family can’t have a meal without my wife or I scrutinizing the ingredient list. So we will definitely be bringing snacks from home for the kids! Thank you.

When my son ended up on crutches on the Allure last year. He had so:e difficulty getting around. I had a 2 minute chat with the F&B manager who subsequently arranged dining room food sent up to our room.

Hope this helps.

Thanks! That’s very encouraging. I’m sure they’ll give me a way to get her scrambled eggs in the room. Question: is f&b manager the same as head server in main dining room? If not, where would I connect with the f&b manager to ask about this? Thank you.

Hope this helps.

Thanks! That’s very encouraging. I’m sure they’ll give me a way to get her scrambled eggs in the room. Question: is f&b manager the same as head server in main dining room? If not, where would I connect with the f&b manager to ask about this? Thank you.

I should have elaborated. I called the guest services, they put me in touch with the F&B manager. It was not the same as the Restaurant mgr. I could have easily gone directly to dining room, and chatted with them as well. I would hope the outcome would have been the same.

However, on a side note. I did find everyone involved to be extremely accommodating, and seemed genuinely glad to help. Your situation is more complex because it is a dietary restriction for your little one.

But should be handled in the same professional manner as we experienced.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I have never had a problem getting food to take out from the dining room. They will provide you with covered plates and silverware.

What about getting food from the Windjammer to bring back to your room. I noticed on our recent Allure cruise that there is now a dedicated gluten free area.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have never had a problem getting food to take out from the dining room. They will provide you with covered plates and silverware.

What about getting food from the Windjammer to bring back to your room. I noticed on our recent Allure cruise that there is now a dedicated gluten free area.

Fantastic! That’s exactly what I was hoping to hear. That’s all I really want. Me wander down, order gluten free food for the kids while I have my morning coffee, & bring it back for everyone. Sounds easy enough!

As for the GF options at the buffet, I’d trust them if I was there as soon as the food was out out (in fact I’m hoping to try this as soon as we board the ship), but if I show up 2 hours after it opens & people have been picking at it, it’s just not safe for a kid with celiac. Too much risk of cross contamination by an unwitting guest meaning no harm. Fresh cooked food straight from a gluten free kitchen is always the safest option for her.

But knowing I can just get main dining to go is all I needed to know. Thank you!

Isn’t there a special needs ( not sure of terminology)department you can email prior to sailing? You can ask your questions and have it documented on your reservation.

I’ve had it all noted on reservation and discussed with them, but good idea to separately email. In my experience though, even companies that are great at accommodating won’t provide a specific answer to a question like this via email. Too much variability in actual practice & they (understandably) don’t want to make promises they can’t keep.

Fantastic! That’s exactly what I was hoping to hear. That’s all I really want. Me wander down, order gluten free food for the kids while I have my morning coffee, & bring it back for everyone. Sounds easy enough!

As for the GF options at the buffet, I’d trust them if I was there as soon as the food was out out (in fact I’m hoping to try this as soon as we board the ship), but if I show up 2 hours after it opens & people have been picking at it, it’s just not safe for a kid with celiac. Too much risk of cross contamination by an unwitting guest meaning no harm. Fresh cooked food straight from a gluten free kitchen is always the safest option for her.

But knowing I can just get main dining to go is all I needed to know. Thank you!

As for the poster who said,"how are you going to carry them all?", they will place a cover on each plate,and that makes a flat surface for the next plate, and so forth. Just watch the waiters carrying stacks of plates, it's easy. :D

As for the poster who said,"how are you going to carry them all?", they will place a cover on each plate,and that makes a flat surface for the next plate, and so forth. Just watch the waiters carrying stacks of plates, it's easy. :D

Thanks! 😀

Even if they weren’t covered I’d use the skills I acquired during the 10 years I waited tables in school & get them up to the room (totally doable), though I refrained from replying to the earlier question by saying carrying 4 plates with food is super easy if you know how to do it! I realize it’s not ideal.

But the flat surface will make it a breeze for me to carry all 4 plates in one hand & bring mimosas up for my wife and me with my free hand 🥂

Appreciate all the replies!

I’ve had it all noted on reservation and discussed with them, but good idea to separately email. In my experience though, even companies that are great at accommodating won’t provide a specific answer to a question like this via email. Too much variability in actual practice & they (understandably) don’t want to make promises they can’t keep.

So true. And of course anyone you talk to or email prior to talking to someone in dining onboard the ship isn’t going to be handling or preparing the food. Heck, they’re not even on the ship! Always best to confirm with the actual onboard dining staff. Have a great trip! Is this your first?

Thanks!

Even if they weren’t covered I’d use the skills I acquired during the 10 years I waited tables in school & get them up to the room (totally doable), though I refrained from replying to the earlier question by saying carrying 4 plates with food is super easy if you know how to do it! I realize it’s not ideal.

But the flat surface will make it a breeze for me to carry all 4 plates in one hand & bring mimosas up for my wife and me with my free hand

Appreciate all the replies!

I totally get you - my DD is GF (15 @ diagnosis,21 now) & we're very leary of buffets as well. Last RC cruise (5 years ago), no issues @ all in MDR, & she could even tell them the night before @ dinner if she wanted GF pancakes or French toast, the next day, & they would put a note in under her name & we could get them the next morning. I am interested in seeing the Gfree section of Windjammer on our upcoming May cruise, however. She's had to deal with a dining hall last 4 years @ school, and she learned quickly which one of the 2 was better at preventing cross contamination

Carrying suggestion -- bring a canvas or similar tote bag with a flat bottom, carry the plates & silverware in that -- even easier to carry, less chance of dropping if someone else runs into you, & if you carry it on your arm, you'll have 2 hands for those mimosas :D

The gluten free sections of the WJ are not the same on each ship. Some ships will have a gluten free area on one side of a station, making it a much easier target for cross contamination. The newer ships have a gluten free section that is its own station. Still a chance of cross contamination because some people are just clueless, but less so since it stands alone.