The First Voyage of the Norwegian Bliss to Alaska

BirdTravels

We did do more than "a little research". And we chose this cruise.

We spent a lot of time and effort during the cruise to share our experience with the CC community during the cruse that we chose. As the OP, I find this post somewhat disrespectful.

I agree 100% that that observation was somewhat rude.

At any rate, my two cents: Thank you BirdTravels for this great review, which I have now read twice (maybe more) in preparation for boarding the Bliss this Saturday. Thanks to you I now have ALL the information I need, right down to the available wine list. :) Thanks again for being so diligent with all the details!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thank you so much for all the information you have put out there on your cruise. We are going to be sailing on the Bliss in June 2019. This is our 1st time to Alaska, and only our 2nd time on Norwegian. Our 1st was only a 2 day cruise to Nowhere. All the information you provided has made me feel like I will be a little more prepared! Thank you so much!!!!

On 10/5/2018 at 8:38 PM, alwalaska said:

Since they have a "pay extra" place for crepes, does that mean they no longer have them in the buffet in the evenings?

Wow, Bird Travels thank you so much for this amazing review! I have about 30 days to go for my Bliss cruise and this has been incredibly helpful and informative with menus, venues, and more to show my group. Thank you again for all your pics and info and hard work! 

I am also curious about the crepes being gone - I have heard they are no longer in the buffet which would be disappointing for sure.  

8 hours ago, emilyreid09 said:

Wow, Bird Travels thank you so much for this amazing review! I have about 30 days to go for my Bliss cruise and this has been incredibly helpful and informative with menus, venues, and more to show my group. Thank you again for all your pics and info and hard work! 

I am also curious about the crepes being gone - I have heard they are no longer in the buffet which would be disappointing for sure.  

Crepes were not on the buffet on the Bliss when I sailed on her in July to Alaska- I was told they only had them at Cocco's. 

On 11/5/2018 at 12:43 PM, mkamazed said:

Thank you so much for all the information you have put out there on your cruise. We are going to be sailing on the Bliss in June 2019. This is our 1st time to Alaska, and only our 2nd time on Norwegian. Our 1st was only a 2 day cruise to Nowhere. All the information you provided has made me feel like I will be a little more prepared! Thank you so much!!!!

You are very welcome. Alaska is one of our favorite cruise destinations. We have been cruising Alaska almost every year (already have next year's cruise booked). The wildlife and sea life is magical (whales and dolphins along side the ship nightly). 

On the Sept. 8 cruise from Seattle, there were very often 3-4 ships in port, including the Bliss.  There are about 4 lines sailing from Seattle, probably more than that sailing from Vancouver BC on a round trip cruise and those that sail from Vancouver with a cruise up & fly back [or fly up and cruise back] itinerary.  Most ships go to Ketchikan, Sitka & Juneau, so there could never be just 1 ship in port, even when that ship holds 4000+ [or twice as many as any other 2 ships combined]. 

On 11/8/2018 at 5:51 PM, Joeghartman said:

I just booked my cruise on the Bliss to Alaska for next August and have been spending all week going through this thread. This is one of the best reviews of any sailing I have read. It is so informative and breath taking, thank you for everything you put into this.

Have a wonderful cruise. Alaska is our favorite cruise destination. We will be sailing Alaska on the Norwegian Joy next year. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, abbiep said:

thanks so much for the time spent creating this informative review. We plan on sailing on the Joy May 2019. I can’t find much on that ship so this really helped with my planning. 

Most things you find on the Joy will be different when she arrives in the US. After her holiday cruise, she’ll undergo a $50M refit to remove the Chinese features and Americanize her close to the Joy. 

Terrific review....thank you!

the bliss was on our list of ships to choose from for Alaska.  From what I am reading the times in ports are an issue and crowding. 

I like being able able to fly into Seattle and cruising glacier bay.  However, I don’t want to be rushed in the ports. Perhaps the timing is good enough for those ports?

thanks!

The short day is in Ketchikan. You can do a short ShoreEx and still have time to walk around the town which is literally at the bottom of the gangway.

As far as we are concerned, Victoria is a non-stop. It's there so that there is an international port on the itinerary. Lots of people just go to town for dinner and then back to the ship. Or a carriage ride. 

Glacier Bay takes up a lot of time on the itinerary. 

We went to the Dawes glacier on the Bliss this year. Will go to Glacier Bay next year. 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/5/2018 at 9:55 AM, BirdTravels said:

Time for a massage and a day in the thermal suite.

456e5c52419d0fab6f15e696edf40751.heic

6a220ceb2bf9fe67c54584e687f927ee.heic

The thermal suite (now located aft to make way for the observation lounge) is smaller than other -away class ship (bad). While the Escape made improvements to move the saunas to the outside with windows (which would have been ideal for Alaska) the saunas have moved back to the interior and are smaller.

9c995127d1d281de3a58f1f6f9adda97.heic

61454c762fc22e5d55b0396d8a8a11d6.heic

02c4da73e4cef9867af61ded7cebacd9.heic

d4f502a84c99caa7de86e9f02f51d735.heic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How do you get the value prices?

On 2/6/2019 at 1:17 PM, lolodrake said:

How do you get the value prices?

Value pricing is noted in the fine print at the bottom of the flyer ... "Value pricing is available in port only and cannot be combined with other offers..."  So in effect, value prices are available only while docked.