I T Questions about Juice Jacking

jewliana

I am hearing that you should never recharge your phone in a public USB hub but that you need to get charge only USB cables. Is this true for the USB charge ports in your cabin? Or are they just talking about airports? Thanks!

I am hearing that you should never recharge your phone in a public USB hub but that you need to get charge only USB cables. Is this true for the USB charge ports in your cabin? Or are they just talking about airports? Thanks!

I would just bring your own charging brick(s). I'm not sure about the newer Vista class ships but I don't think any of the other classes of ship have any USB ports in the cabin. (I could be wrong but I never heard of them or seen them)

I'm guessing the odds of juice jacking occurring on an in-cabin USB charging port on a cruise ship are pretty small but, as suggested, it's probably a good idea to bring your own USB charger and cable for charging your smart phone.

Depends on how seriously you take security.

Could you get jacked? Yes

Will you? Chances are slim

Then again, I always use my own charging ports and I never connect to public or free WiFi and everything I do is through a personal VPN.

What ship will you be on? During our cruise on the Dream 3 weeks ago, they switched out the bedside lamps so now the bases have 2 USB ports. I assume they were doing that to all of the rooms.

We have been on the Vista and had the USB by the bed..Also MSC Seaside has all USB by the bedside. Thanks for all your input. I dont really understand how it works so I had no idea if it could happen anywhere you plugged in or just very public places

We have been on the Vista and had the USB by the bed..Also MSC Seaside has all USB by the bedside. Thanks for all your input. I dont really understand how it works so I had no idea if it could happen anywhere you plugged in or just very public places

If you can’t see the other end of what you’re plugged into, you have to assume there is some risk of your device being hacked. Is it likely? Probably not. Is it possible? Certainly. It would take some effort, but in theory a hacker could see every USB device plugged into a USB port in a hotel setting. You’d be more likely to get hacked while charging your phone from a desktop computer at home that is connected to the Internet.

If you want to add an extra layer of security, there are “data blockers” also known as “USB condoms” you can add that prevent data transfer, but still allow your devices to charge.

Sent from my eye phone using a three legged yak FFS

I'm relieved this isn't a thread about what I thought it was. Juice Jacking has another meaning in the men who have sex with men community!

And you know this how? Personal expierence?:D (Just kidding) Don't file a harrassment suit against me.

What ship will you be on? During our cruise on the Dream 3 weeks ago, they switched out the bedside lamps so now the bases have 2 USB ports. I assume they were doing that to all of the rooms.

We had this on our Grand Suite on the Sensation too.

Can someone explain this to me? I've never thought twice about hooking up to a USB port to charge my phone, but y'all are making it sound like promiscuous sex and my phone is gonna come back with STDs or, worse, pregnant! :')

I had no clue about this until seeing it on the news the other night. Here is an explanation

ow often do you use the public charging USB ports to charge your phones, tablets and other devices? Do you know that such public phone chargers can secretly install malware on your device? Yes, that’s true. Public charging ports are indeed a big help when the battery of our mobile devices are drained out, and we don’t have a charger or a power bank; but on the other hand, such ports may also steal all your data by installing a malware in your device.

Public meeting places like coffee shops, offices, airport & hotel lounges, and railway stations have such public charging stations and most of us are often desperate to use them when our devices are low on power.

For those who don’t know, Juice Jacking is a kind of cyber-attack is termed where a malware is installed on your device using a USB charging port, and all your data is covertly copied.

And you know this how? Personal expierence?:D (Just kidding) Don't file a harrassment suit against me.

:halo::halo::halo:Lol after my first husband and I separated he became bisexual. We remain great friends but he shares a bit too much sometimes!:')

That word/phrase just stuck in my memory because it was so oddball!

We travel and use this to avoid all problems and everyone can charge their devices.

USB Quick Charger RAVPower 60W 6-Port Fast Charger Desktop Charger Charging Station with Quick Charge 3.0 for Galaxy S7/S6/Edge, Note 5 and iSmart for iPhone 7/6s/Plus, iPad, LG, Nexus 6, HTC https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MSYIGDV/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_i_W2bcBbXK1SESN

Sent from my iPad using Forums