What is the minimum that I can get by with on the dress code?

uilleann

I don’t like getting dressed up. After a handful of years in uniform followed by 37 years of wearing suites, I am now a very relaxed retired guy in my t-shirt, old comfy jeans, and vest. To me a fun vacation involves being relaxed and I cannot relax in a suit or tux.

So why am I cruising in Cunard..... well, its a reunion with my brothers and they picked this cruise line. Further complicating our trip is that we plan to fly to for a few days, train to Guildford for a couple days, then train to Salibury for a day, then Northampton. We are getting off the cruise at the last port before Southampton and then renting a home for 2 weeks, meeting up with the kids, and doing a lot of hiking and exploring.

From experience that means we do not want to be hauling around more than a medium daypack and a bag each that is just a bit larger than a carryon. Anymore than that makes train travel difficult (lifting luggage over our heads is not as easy as it used to be). Suits and jackets will not be required on any other part of the trip.

We did similar trips on Holland American and Avalon. I got by with khaki pants, a dark blue sports jacket and a tie if required. Only worn on the ship and no other part of the trip.

So will that work on a Cunard cruise? Maybe I could rent a tux for the trip for formal nights?

Pls do not tell me how much fun it is to dress up, or how I should do it for my wife, or how I will be ruining other peoples vacations by not dressing up to their expectations. I also am not interested about how I should cruise with another cruiseline or eat at the buffet. Those are not options for me.

What is the least formal clothing that I can get by with and still be allowed entry to any place in the ship on all nights?

On informal nights khakis with a collared shirt and sport coat is fine. A tie is not necessary those nights. You will have full run of the ship. On formal nights, of which there are only three during a week, a dark suit and tie or tux are required. And if it makes life easier for you tuxes can be rented onboard. On those formal nights you could be turned away from the dining room, Queens Room and lounges without wearing at least a dark suit and tie.

I took a black suit (not a tux, but a black suit).

I bought it in the formal wear section of a menswear store specifically for my cruise on QV. I only wanted to carry one jacket/trouser combo for similar reasons to you (one week cruise in the middle of a 6 week holiday).

On formal nights I matched it with a dinner shirt, bow tie, studs and cuff links. Purists might object, but I felt I was living in the spirit of the dress code. It was new, it fitted, and I thought I looked quite sharp!

On informal nights, I wore it with business shirts, sometimes a tie or cravat, sometimes open collar.

It did the job and I never felt under/overdressed.

I don’t like getting dressed up. After a handful of years in uniform followed by 37 years of wearing suites, I am now a very relaxed retired guy in my t-shirt, old comfy jeans, and vest. To me a fun vacation involves being relaxed and I cannot relax in a suit or tux.

So why am I cruising in Cunard..... well, its a reunion with my brothers and they picked this cruise line. Further complicating our trip is that we plan to fly to for a few days, train to Guildford for a couple days, then train to Salibury for a day, then Northampton. We are getting off the cruise at the last port before Southampton and then renting a home for 2 weeks, meeting up with the kids, and doing a lot of hiking and exploring.

From experience that means we do not want to be hauling around more than a medium daypack and a bag each that is just a bit larger than a carryon. Anymore than that makes train travel difficult (lifting luggage over our heads is not as easy as it used to be). Suits and jackets will not be required on any other part of the trip.

We did similar trips on Holland American and Avalon. I got by with khaki pants, a dark blue sports jacket and a tie if required. Only worn on the ship and no other part of the trip.

So will that work on a Cunard cruise? Maybe I could rent a tux for the trip for formal nights?

Pls do not tell me how much fun it is to dress up, or how I should do it for my wife, or how I will be ruining other peoples vacations by not dressing up to their expectations. I also am not interested about how I should cruise with another cruiseline or eat at the buffet. Those are not options for me.

What is the least formal clothing that I can get by with and still be allowed entry to any place in the ship on all nights?

Good news for you.

If there is no wish to "carry", or get by with, then one can hire the complete formal attire via Cunard.

.....We did similar trips on Holland American and Avalon. I got by with khaki pants, a dark blue sports jacket and a tie if required.....So will that work on a Cunard cruise?

Maybe I could rent a tux for the trip for formal nights?....

.....What is the least formal clothing that I can get by with and still be allowed entry to any place in the ship on all nights?

As Host Hattie has said, the responses you receive will be similar to the thread you started with the same question almost a year ago!!

My answers in order of the extracts above from your post:

No, but if you insist on the dark blue sports jacket you may get away with as close to that colour of pants (we call them trousers) to make it appear like a dark coloured suit and wear a tie. Khaki trousers, you very well know will not suffice!

You could rent a tux, but better to buy one in M&S or Slater's while you are in Guildford and heading to Salisbury etc. You should be able to get one for around the equivalent of $100. Just leave it in the cabin when you disembark, and someone will find a use for it!

The attire detailed in my first answer above.

A final comment....you are a retired pilot, so you are aware of rules imposed by airlines which all flyers must abide by. Cunard is similar, and one of their rules is in relation to the dress code, you must have a high degree of intelligence and understand the need to meet minimum requirements. Enjoy the cruise

Edited by hamrag

An English friend of mine travels on Cunard at least twice a year. He wears the same type of clothing to dinner every night, whether formal or informal: a blazer, tie and trousers that do not match the jacket. Dark trousers with a dark blazer look like a suit, of course, but a navy jacket and grey trousers do not. He has never had any difficulty - not even comments from staff or other passengers. So, notwithstanding Cunard's definition of formal being a tuxedo/dinner jacket or dark suit, it appears the realistic minimum is jacket and tie.

Its sounds as if the issue is with your family; according to you, they picked Cunard; you wouldn't have - poor you.

Unless you bail out, you are stuck.

Cunard is formal, just like a few remaining restaurants in New York, San Francisco (London has MANY)...they will not seat you unless you make some minimal effort.

I think previous posters have given you some good, practical suggestions/solutions.

BTW: Posters on CruiseCritic DO have a right to challenge you with regard to your "I don't want to hear" list, whether you like it or not...when you post something you're opening up Pandora's Box.

Thanks to those of you who posted helpful suggestions. I guess I will break down and get an affordable loose fitting black suit (for my comfort). Probably a lighter weight material for packability and weight. A white and a patterned collared shirt and a bow tie. And I will make that work on all nights on board after 6pm. Then leave it on the ship so I can have the room back in the suitcase for the next 2 weeks of our trip. One challenge.... I plan to make use of the Churchill smoking room. So that may require expensive express laundry every day I do that..... Or no one will want to sit next to me the following day if I don’t.