Help!!! Booking Cruise Today and Need answer ASAP.

Loracpin2

On S Class ships, we always book cabin on port side with bed by balcony so, while sleeping, my head is moving forward with the direction of the ship to avoid motion sickness. For the sailing I am looking at, only available port side cabins are either too far forward or too far aft which are also problematic for me.

My question is, for starboard side cabins do I need to book bed by bath or balcony so my head moves with the direction of the ship???

Hope this makes sense and thanks for your quick responses!!!

On S Class ships, we always book cabin on port side with bed by balcony so, while sleeping, my head is moving forward with the direction of the ship to avoid motion sickness. For the sailing I am looking at, only available port side cabins are either too far forward or too far aft which are also problematic for me.

My question is, for starboard side cabins do I need to book bed by bath or balcony so my head moves with the direction of the ship???

Why limit yourself to Port side? On some cruises Starboard is better, especially when you are traveling East and want sun.

Why limit yourself to Port side? On some cruises Starboard is better, especially when you are traveling East and want sun.

So glad you responded to this question !!

I have a lot of cruise experience but I’m always wondering about sun and wind with TA cruises for some hopeful balcony use during potential rough weather

I’m booked on the SIL TA in Nov but of course traveling West.

So going West, port would be better for sun?

And hopefully on back side of hump to block wind?

Really appreciate your input since TA in Nov cold and maybe rough seas a possibility

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You didn’t mention what deck level you were looking at. If you don’t know already, the higher you go up the more motion you’ll experience. Also, are you booking a trip to an area that normally experiences rough seas? In rough weather sometimes nothing will help. For your case, the closer you are to the center of the ship the less you will experience rocking motion. I take it you’ve tried the patches they supply on the ship?

So glad you responded to this question !!

I have a lot of cruise experience but I’m always wondering about sun and wind with TA cruises for some hopeful balcony use during potential rough weather

I’m booked on the SIL TA in Nov but of course traveling West.

So going West, port would be better for sun?

And hopefully on back side of hump to block wind?

Really appreciate your input since TA in Nov cold and maybe rough seas a possibility

Thanks!

Yes, Port is better when going West. Don't worry too much about weather. I've been on many November crossings and the weather is usually good. Weather will be weather and you can't control it.

Yes, Port is better when going West. Don't worry too much about weather. I've been on many November crossings and the weather is usually good. Weather will be weather and you can't control it.

Good point but sure wish weather control was an “option” LOL

It is a bigger thought process this time as this TA sails into Manhattan past the Statue of Liberty. Grew up in NY leaving after college and like a local, have never done the important sight seeing spots! Really looking forward to it!

There are better locations available starboard, but since it’s Nov in NY, potential cold and wet, I’d much rather be on my balcony than public areas to run inside, warm up and run out again!

Thanks for listening and advice! I’m excited!

Good point but sure wish weather control was an “option” LOL

It is a bigger thought process this time as this TA sails into Manhattan past the Statue of Liberty. Grew up in NY leaving after college and like a local, have never done the important sight seeing spots! Really looking forward to it!

There are better locations available starboard, but since it’s Nov in NY, potential cold and wet, I’d much rather be on my balcony than public areas to run inside, warm up and run out again!

Thanks for listening and advice! I’m excited!

Have a wonderful cruise.

The direction of which way the ship is sailing has nothing to do with the direction your body is facing while lying in bed. Ships are built with the direction of the beds alternating so the modules fit together like a puzzle. If you've ever walked passed two open adjacent rooms, you will notice the placement of the bed is in opposite direction and that is why there is a special thread letting us know if the bed is by the bath on the S class ships and that is why I always book port because I know on how the direction of the beds.

My question about starboard is because I am not positive the modules interlock the same way on that side of the ship.

'I take it you’ve tried the patches they supply on the ship?'

The patches (scopolamine) are available only by prescription and are not supplied on the ship unless, possibly, by ship's medical personnel if the necessity arose. Sea sickness tablets e.g. Meclazine are usually available at the front desk/customer relations area at no charge.

With all due respect, patches and meclizine have nothing to do with my question. I will not use the patches because of the terrible allergic reaction my mother had with them and I do take Dramamine.

After 38 cruises, I can verify the direction of the bed has everything to do with my motion sickness. Hopefully, someone who reads this thread can provide the answer to my question. On hold with Celebrity now but, I am not very optimistic.

Sailing into NJ on Silhouette you will not be docking in Manhattan but in Bayonne. Therefore you will not be passing the Statue of Liberty unless the Captain makes a deviation to go around it. It should be visable on the Starboard side, but in Nov. might be too dark when docking to see it. EM

Got my answer from Celebrity. On the starboard side of the ship, if you want your head to face forward with the direction of the ship, you have to book a room with your bed by the bath. Whether the ship is sailing east or west has nothing to do with my original question.

Got my answer from Celebrity. On the starboard side of the ship, if you want your head to face forward with the direction of the ship, you have to book a room with your bed by the bath. Whether the ship is sailing east or west has nothing to do with my original question.

Glad you got the anwer you were looking for. Have a great cruise.

OP - I was responding to the poster who suggested that scopolamine patches were available onboard. Others who read the boards may be misled into thinking that that's actually the case and expect to find that method of seasickness relief readily available when in fact it's not.

Have a great cruise.

Sailing into NJ on Silhouette you will not be docking in Manhattan but in Bayonne. Therefore you will not be passing the Statue of Liberty unless the Captain makes a deviation to go around it. It should be visable on the Starboard side, but in Nov. might be too dark when docking to see it. EM

Not true Essiesmom. On transatlantic crossings where NYC is port of call, they dock at the piers on Manhattan's West Side. Bayonne is used for the start and end of cruises.

Thank you!!!

People have thought I was nuts for years when cruising as I must sleep with my head laying in the direction the ship is sailing. I also need to sit in the dining areas in a chair so that my body is facing the direction we are sailing.

The motion sickness otherwise is awful.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I hate to confuse things more, but I am at this moment sitting in my starboard side stateroom on Solstice. I am not certain I am undedstanding your description of "head facing forward" because our bed is by the balcony and the head of the bed is toward the front of the ship.

I hate to confuse things more, but I am at this moment sitting in my starboard side stateroom on Solstice. I am not certain I am undedstanding your description of "head facing forward" because our bed is by the balcony and the head of the bed is toward the front of the ship.

With the head of your bed toward the front of the ship, your head is facing towards the back of the ship when lying down in bed, so you are traveling "backwards" (i.e., head first).

The poster who wants "head facing forward" would choose a cabin with the head of the bed positioned on the opposite wall to yours, so when lying in bed they would be traveling feet first.

To many passengers, it makes no difference which way the bed faces, forward, backward, or sideways.

I know that for me, the location of the cabin is much more important than which way the bed faces.

When the draperies are closed, or if I am somewhere on the ship where I cannot see a window, I often cannot even tell which way the ship is moving, or if it is moving at all.

But we each have our own priorities when it comes to cabin selection.

Edited by varoo