Beverage Package

Just to be clear, the $49 price is before gratuity and the other price includes gratuity, right?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes it was $49. A day plus 18%

Then 40% off. The price has gone down onboard. When I was here in December it was $61. A day onboard.

e409db042dc11f75d434a3cb3cd5bb77.jpg

I've been watching the price for our 12/3 Allure cruise and it hasn't budged from $52. And although it does say that both people in the cabin have to purchase, it allowed me to put one package in the cart . . . maybe I should just buy now in case that goes away, although I was waiting for the price to lower.

I just logged on to pay part of my March LIberty balance and checked beverage prices. I noticed it was $41, so jumped all over that. I haven't bought the kids their soda package yet. That seems like a ripoff at $8.50 when compared to the adult deluxe package.

I just logged on to pay part of my March LIberty balance and checked beverage prices. I noticed it was $41, so jumped all over that. I haven't bought the kids their soda package yet. That seems like a ripoff at $8.50 when compared to the adult deluxe package.

Why?

Why?

Because fountain soda is so cheap. To spend roughly $70 for a week is pretty high. Alcohol is always expensive, so under $50 a day seems like a good deal. I was just saying that spending that much for kids to have a soda package is a ripoff when compared to the value of the deluxe package if you compare both to normal prices.

I will still spend it so that the kids can have something besides water.

My cruise on Allure for January today has the same $41 per day plus grats as it has for the last few days, but now had a Buy one get half off the other making the 2nd person $20.50.

That seems like a pretty good deal to me.

My cruise on Allure for January today has the same $41 per day plus grats as it has for the last few days, but now had a Buy one get half off the other making the 2nd person $20.50.

That seems like a pretty good deal to me.

It would be a good deal if they were taking the 50% off of the $41 per day. But, in the BOGO thread, people have said they're taking the 50% off of $58.00 (the on board price of the package.) :mad:

The drink packages are a HUGE money maker. There are 16 shots in a 750 mL (fifth) bottle. A 750 mL bottle of liquor can vary, but let's use Johnny Walker Red as an example. The wholesale cost of a bottle is about $15 for a 750 mL bottle. That means that the cruiseline's cost is a little over $1 per drink, counting the cost of mixers. Even a heavy drinker isn't going to drink more than 2 bottles of liquor a day, meaning the packages are at least 50% profit.

The drink packages are a HUGE money maker. There are 16 shots in a 750 mL (fifth) bottle. A 750 mL bottle of liquor can vary, but let's use Johnny Walker Red as an example. The wholesale cost of a bottle is about $15 for a 750 mL bottle. That means that the cruiseline's cost is a little over $1 per drink, counting the cost of mixers. Even a heavy drinker isn't going to drink more than 2 bottles of liquor a day, meaning the packages are at least 50% profit.

My drinks have always contained more than a shot. RC bartenders are usually generous pourers. [emoji4]

And booze is not the only ingredient. Those bartenders and servers need to be paid, for example.

1 Even if your bartender is generous with your pours- the VAST majority of drinkers are not going to drink more than 1.5 liters (2 bottles) of liquor a day. I would bet you that MOST drinkers don't even drink one (which, even if they are pouring you double shots in each drink is still 8 double drinks per day)

2 The bartenders and servers are paid by the 18% gratuity on top of the cost of the drinks AND drink packages. Mixers are cheap, the ice is made onboard, and the bartenders are paid by tips. Plastic cups are only a couple of cents each when bought in bulk.

1 Even if your bartender is generous with your pours- the VAST majority of drinkers are not going to drink more than 1.5 liters (2 bottles) of liquor a day. I would bet you that MOST drinkers don't even drink one (which, even if they are pouring you double shots in each drink is still 8 double drinks per day)

2 The bartenders and servers are paid by the 18% gratuity on top of the cost of the drinks AND drink packages. Mixers are cheap, the ice is made onboard, and the bartenders are paid by tips. Plastic cups are only a couple of cents each when bought in bulk.

Going backwards:

Most drinks are in glass. After purchase, those glasses must be washed after every use.

They receive tips, but they also receive a small monthly stipend and their room and board are paid for by the cruise line.

The company is in business to make money. Would you prefer that they NOT make money and go bankrupt and you can no longer cruise with them?

Where did I say I was opposed to RCCL making money? I was merely expressing that the reason why they are pushing the packages is that they are HUGE money makers.

As far as washing dishes, it is actually cheaper than using plastic cups. A commercial conveyor dishwasher washes up to 9,000 glasses an hour. Paying someone to wash glasses at this rate is negligible.

More cost that just washing. You have to pick them up. You have to carry them to the washing station. Wash them. Return them to the location for us. Plus cover breakage.

Drinks are a huge money maker everywhere they serve liquor. The big reason they do serve liquor.