Has anyone had a free upgrade with tui????

Hi

I would be interested to know if anyone has ever had a free upgrade on any of tui cruises.

The words TUI and free are rarely found in the same sentence!!!

However, just once on Dream 4 years ago we were upgraded from basic inside to outside plus. Think it was due to the fact we had had to cancel another cruise 3 months earlier at the last minute due to my husbands health issues and had been in touch with Thomson (as it still was then) several times.

The words TUI and free are rarely found in the same sentence!!!

In my long experience of TUI, cruises and hotel packages, they don't do free.

Can't be many cruise lines that charge extra to select a cabin ?

Having said that, on a couple of cruise we had a compilmentary £25 credit voucher for the onboard account.

No idea how or why we qualified for that nice little earner though.

Other cruise lines might not charge extra for booking a cabin for £45: it’s a lot more expensive than that! Booking a guaranteed cabin is often a few hundred cheaper than booking a specific sub-category/room.

It’s all the same just worded differently :)

But back to the OP: never been upgraded for free for anything except a hotel room on a package holiday (from pool view to sea view)

It is usually easier to wangle an upgrade in hotels. If you book a bog standard room and ask reception if they have sea view or balcony room available most will move you for free.

Done it a few times, just got to be prepared to stay in bog standard room if the hotel is full.

Hi

I would be interested to know if anyone has ever had a free upgrade on any of tui cruises.

Never. Thomson / Tui / Marella charge for everything. They are the Ryanair of cruising. Charge for safe, selecting cabin, bottled water, shuttle buses, VIP seats in the theatre ( what's all that about ). Extra charge for steaks in the MDR. , select seats on the plane.

All about selling from the moment you board. Upgrade to the drinks package, spa, photographs, selling books on towel folding, speciality restaurants, wine packages etc. etc.

Never. Thomson / Tui / Marella charge for everything. They are the Ryanair of cruising. Charge for safe, selecting cabin, bottled water, shuttle buses, VIP seats in the theatre ( what's all that about ). Extra charge for steaks in the MDR. , select seats on the plane.

All about selling from the moment you board. Upgrade to the drinks package, spa, photographs, selling books on towel folding, speciality restaurants, wine packages etc. etc.

Just like other cruise lines, funny that !

I think we have to agree that they are all businesses and as such that have to make money to exist they all have different ways of mixing the pot and employ accurists to work out costs to balance the books. Nothing is ever free as all free bs have been taken into consideration.

Sent from my VF-895N using Forums mobile app

Have heard it said that sometimes a free upgrade cabin can be in a less desirable location. Not sure why they would bother unless to even out the housekeeping chores. Nothing in hospitality is free. You either pay already in the cost of the cruise or enjoy cheaper but pay extra for the things that matter to you. If I was a vegetarian I would rather steaks cost extra than pay for premium food in the up front price and not eat it :)

Have heard it said that sometimes a free upgrade cabin can be in a less desirable location. Not sure why they would bother unless to even out the housekeeping chores. Nothing in hospitality is free. You either pay already in the cost of the cruise or enjoy cheaper but pay extra for the things that matter to you. If I was a vegetarian I would rather steaks cost extra than pay for premium food in the up front price and not eat it :)

On P&O they do upgrades, usually free, however the upgrade may not be all it seems. For example there is a small group of balcony cabins on Azura/Ventura that suffer noise from the exhaust uptakes. You can't tell from the deck plans but the experienced cruisers get to know. Then some inexperienced passengers get a free upgrade to a balcony cabin, woophee, er, no.

another reason for upgrading is to free a lower priced cabin which may be easier to sell

In June we sailed on the Spirit, we were booked into a balcony cabin. A few weeks before we were due to sail, I checked out the prices for our cruise and noticed that they were offering the Presidential Suite for just £190 more than we had paid. I rang them up and they agreed to upgrade us to the suite for the extra 190. Not a free upgrade, I'll admit, but we got an amazing cabin for a small amount of extra money.

Steak used to be included, no extra charge. Think it is a supplement of about £10 pp now in the MDR.

There also used to be five courses for dinner, a Buffet Magnifique, Chocolate Lovers Buffet.

Lots of cuts but higher prices now and lots of other things that used to be included now have an extra charge. New cruisers would not be aware of this or of the rise in prices over the past few months.

The only thing that hasn't changed is the great friendly crew but there's just not enough of them now.

Just back from Celebration and they have reintroduced the buffet magnifique under a new name, sorry can't recall it, all the carving, chocolate fountains etc great night,

Sent from my VF-895N using Forums mobile app

That's good to know. It's the little things that make all the difference. Glad you enjoyed it.