Kids Safety- question from 1st timer

Robotcake

We're sailing on Independence (RCI) later this month with our three young children- ages 5, 3, and 2. In the past, when we go to a fair or a crowded place, we'll physically write our cell phone number on their arms. Luckily, we keep a close eye on them and they never have gotten lost, but it's afforded us peace of mind. On the boat, we won't be using cell phones. Do the ships have bracelets for them or anything if a kid goes missing? If not, I may snag a few hospital bracelets from my work to put our cabin number on. Thanks...

We're sailing on Independence (RCI) later this month with our three young children- ages 5, 3, and 2. In the past, when we go to a fair or a crowded place, we'll physically write our cell phone number on their arms. Luckily, we keep a close eye on them and they never have gotten lost, but it's afforded us peace of mind. On the boat, we won't be using cell phones. Do the ships have bracelets for them or anything if a kid goes missing? If not, I may snag a few hospital bracelets from my work to put our cabin number on. Thanks...

Hi, on our last RCCL cruise the kids all had bands that matched their muster stations. Not sure if this helps any.

It's not essential. If you lose a child, nip down to Reception and let them know. If anyone hands one in, chances are it'll be yours.

Seriously, there's no real need for a phone number. If you lose a child, then rather than sitting in the cabin waiting for a phone call, report to Reception and then go off looking. They'll tannoy you when the child turns up. 4 and 5 year olds may be able to find Reception for themselves if you give them a lesson or two early on.

As mentioned, all children are given wrist bracelets that they must wear for the duration of the cruise. The bracelet will have their muster station on it. In addition, all passengers have their picture taken when they check in. Security will easily be able to figure out who a child is, who they belong to, see the parents' picture, call the stateroom, page overhead, find out where you last charged something on the ship and find you.

Ships are generally not that crowded. The one place that you should never let a child out of your sight though, is the pool deck. There have been cases of small children slipping away from their parents and drowning. :eek: Royal Caribbean has recently started stocking life jackets for swimming. On our Allure cruise recently, there were racks of them by the towel return. I would make that your first stop on the pool deck.

OMG! No one wants your kids...guaranteed. On a ship, your kids are pretty safe.

Don't take them to crowded places, if you tend to lose them...or are not watching them.

Your kids won't "go missing"..and if they're found, they will be returned post haste! Really.

As mentioned, all children are given wrist bracelets that they must wear for the duration of the cruise.

Well, no they aren't. At least mine hasn't. On the cruises where we've registered for the kids' club, yes - but if you don't register for the kids' club, then no bracelet.

Well, no they aren't. At least mine hasn't. On the cruises where we've registered for the kids' club, yes - but if you don't register for the kids' club, then no bracelet.

Kids under 12 are required to wear one. Our son has always been given one while boarding and then they check during muster if anyone needs them. He prefers Disney as he can get the band off at night.

Also, please check the life jackets in your cabin. I haven't sailed RC, so I don't know what they do but some of the other lines don't require you to wear a life vest to the muster drill since people have gotten hurt tripping on the cords. The only problem is that we haven't always had more than the standard two life vests in the cabin when we board. I've called the steward and they immediately brought a child's life vest for the room. But I would recommend that you check yourself if you don't need a vest for the muster drill, since otherwise you might not know if you are missing one for your room.

Edited by kitkat343

Kids under 12 are required to wear one. Our son has always been given one while boarding and then they check during muster if anyone needs them. He prefers Disney as he can get the band off at night.

If they register for the kids' club, yes. They are not required to wear one if not in the kids' club, even on Disney. Same with NCL.

In my experience all kids are required to wear a wristband, whether they attend the kid's club or not. The kid's club is one check/balance where they make sure the bands are being worn.

During the muster, all kids are checked to make sure they have a wristband.

That being said - if a child cuts their band off - no one (other than the kid's club) is really checking for this.

As to safety at sea - I am not one who believes that you are safe just because you are sea. Yes, there are staff and passengers who will look out for and care for a lost child ... but it's not like the cruise line is running criminal back ground checks on all passengers. Keep your eye on your children at all times.

I would teach your young ones to identify a cruise ship employee (by nametag or uniform) so they can recognize who to go to if they need help and are lost.

I also want to add, that unless you plan to let your children run loose on the ship, they should be relatively safe. If you drop them off at the kids club, only you (or those you approve) can sign them out.

I have never seen such crowding (other than maybe passing by the pool) where you would be at risk of getting separated.

Could consider writing your room number on the muster station bracelet. Honestly when it comes to this sort of thing, take the steps you think are necessary. Not because a community forum advises you to, or not. If you want your room number on your kid, do it. If you want to buy a little proximity device that bings when your kid gets more than 15 feet away, do it!

It's a vacation. You deserve to be able to relax knowing your kid is nearby and safe. If at the back of your mind you are always going to be worried because you didn't do something, than do it!

From one protective parent to another, write your room number, take a pic of your kid every morning, teach who to go to for help, do what you need to do.

Your 5 YO and 3 YO will most likely get bracelets. When we sailed with our 20 month old she did not receive one as she was "always" with us. We did drop her off at the nursery a few times and they have all your info and you get a phone. I think if they are old enough for the kids club they will most likely get one, unless you dont want them to for some reason.

Your 5 YO and 3 YO will most likely get bracelets. When we sailed with our 20 month old she did not receive one as she was "always" with us. We did drop her off at the nursery a few times and they have all your info and you get a phone. I think if they are old enough for the kids club they will most likely get one, unless you dont want them to for some reason.

The toddler will probably go to the nursery a few times. Is it drop-in or do I need to make a reservation? I had a hard time figuring that out on the website.

The toddler will probably go to the nursery a few times. Is it drop-in or do I need to make a reservation? I had a hard time figuring that out on the website.

Each baby/toddler is allocated a certain number of hours they are allowed to reserve in the nursery, so go there the first day and sign up for the hours you want. If there are hours that are still available, you can sign up for more later in the week.

We were just on Serenade in February and they were looking for our 5 yr old dd's band when we did the life boat drill. I'm assuming they would have had her get one if she didn't have one. Saw an infant with one on her ankle. They don't have your cabin number on them but I think they said the bracelets could be used by staff to ID kids and find their cabin. Ask for sure, but I don't think you need to add the cabin to them. Also on RCI, they didn't require life vests at the drills but you'll likely have to ask the cabin steward for three small ones.

DD has been on RCI and NCL. As pps have said, RCI requires them all of the time and NCL only for kids club.

Do what you feel like you need to to keep them safe, but we've never had a problem keeping track of dd on a ship. Her first sailing was at 21 months old. Granted, we only have one, but it's not as chaotic as a fair or festival with people smushed together and pushing. When she was really little in those situations she had a backpack/leash (flame if you want). She could dash away so fast in a big crowd and make it between people's legs faster than we could. She wasn't trying to ditch us, just wanted to get to the fun.

You obviously want to keep an eye on them at all times but the most important is around the pools. RCI offers life vest, even for the infants, poolside. We brought a puddle jumper for the ocean anyway, but I thought that was a nice touch.

Have fun!

I DID lose my son on the Liberty of the Seas. He was 5 at the time. We went to pick the 3yr old up from adventure ocean. Once we left adventure ocean we were coming down the stairs and he somehow got about two flights ahead of me. As soon as I realized i couldn't see him I yelled down the stairs for him to stop and stay there but on accident he transferred over to the other side of the stair bank. He was literally gone in a matter of seconds. Scariest moment ever! I went down to guest relations and they called security, took a report and started searching for him. He ended up finding a crew member in the hallway who was trained to take him back to adventure ocean. It took about 45 minutes from when I lost sight of him. I am pretty over protective in general. We now covers "what ifs" and what to do as soon as we get on board with them :(

When we boarded the Oasis last year, my 11 year old granddaughter was given a bracelet to wear before we even got on the ship--while we were waiting to be called to board.

And I just wanted to add ... It's not always about someone "wanting your kids". For me, I knew in my heart he was safe but I also knew in my heart he was probably terrified. He was so upset when we got to him. The staff knew him in adventure ocean and he knew them but he still couldn't calm himself down till he was in my arms. I will say he seriously learned a lesson that day and never lets me out of his sight when we are out and that was a year and a half ago.

Reservation

They also have open play hours

And toy lending (get a bag of preschool/toddler toys for your room)

Teach your kids your cabin number, how to identify staff, and a meeting place. If they know what to do, then less of a chance of an issue.

We put magnets on the outside of our cabin door, helps to find it! We made a game of her finding the cabin and matching the numbers the first night.

• 2 weeks later...
Your young children will have bracelets on the entire voyage that shows their muster station. Write your room # or name on that wrist band if it is a concern.

Our bracelets ended up being navy so I couldn't even write the room number!

Luckily, everything went perfectly on the cruise. I can't wait to do it again. Even with littles, it was such a wonderful trip. They loved adventure ocean! The tot however hated the nursery and refused to go after the first night. He wanted to be with his siblings!