Flight Landing Time Options at BWI - WWYD

PittsburghGirlee

I have two flight arrival time options in to BWI on my cruise day in March. The arrival option times are, 7:30am and 1:30pm.

We have taken the 7:30am arrival time in the past, which left us hanging out at the airport for a while and then hanging out at the cruise port for MANY HOURS as we were so early. I am contemplating taking the later flight, which has us landing at 1:30pm this time. I believe that this will give us plenty of time to get to the port in a timely manner as the ship departs at 4:30pm?

Please let me know "What Would You Do".

TIA

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I have two flight arrival time options in to BWI on my cruise day in March. The arrival option times are, 7:30am and 1:30pm.

We have taken the 7:30am arrival time in the past, which left us hanging out at the airport for a while and then hanging out at the cruise port for MANY HOURS as we were so early. I am contemplating taking the later flight, which has us landing at 1:30pm this time. I believe that this will give us plenty of time to get to the port in a timely manner as the ship departs at 4:30pm?

TIA

What would I do? Take the early flight. Because if there's a problem, there's at least a chance I can get on the later flight and still make my cruise. No such luck with the later flight...

(Honestly, we ALWAYS travel a day early, but that's a different story.)

You should be able to find historical on time rates for both flights. March still has the possibility of bad weather on either end of the flight. I'm guessing this is Southwest? The good news is Baltimore is a hub, and they probably need the plane to get to BWI even if they don't care whether or not you make it!

TIA

I would take the early morning flight. Even thought your flight lands around 1:30 that is not the time it will be at gate,this may take an additional 10 15 minutes from touchdown to gate. Then you have to get your luggage which the times vary as to how busy it is. Next you have about 20 minute drive from airport to port. All of this must go smoothly as you MUST be checked in at the port 90 minutes before you depart as this is a US Customs requirement as the cruise line must submit the final passenger manifest to them.

What Would I Do?

Pittsburgh to Baltimore? I would drive, frankly. And regardless of my mode of transportation, I would get there the day before.

But if you are keen on flying, and you insist on same-day arrival, the one thing I would not do is take that later flight. No margin at all for any delays or other problems.

Have a great trip.

I concur with all the above about taking the early flight as you have no cushion with the later one.

All that said, I live in Pittsburgh and would consider driving you down, and back home. It's only a 4 hour drive. I'll be doing it myself in September.

What i would do, flying Southwest into BWI early:

1) After boarding the plane, head straight to the back; there should be plenty of seats

2) After landing - take my time getting off

3) Head to the Silver Diner, which is inside security on the upper level near concourse B - they have a very good, and complete breakfast menu and plenty of tables

4) I love planes, so I'd head over to the viewing area of the airport, which is located outside of security between concourse B and C on the 2nd floor - In addition to a great view of planes they have a number of exhibits, including a full 737 cross section, cockpit and partial wing.

Aloha,

John

Thank you for the great advice jc410. We tried to do breakfast last year, but didn't want to schlep our luggage around with us. It's a great option though[emoji106]

I would just take my carry ons with me to eat. When ready to leave I'd go down stairs the SWA luggage office, and pick up my checked luggage.

Aloha,

John

ps: The good news is that Ben R. wasn't hurt today. :-)