Typical age range on X?

Wandering_star

Hello!

My fiance and I are looking at one of the 14 night Baltic/Northern Europe cruises in June 2013 for our honeymoon :)

We have previously cruised on Princess and have noticed that we are sometimes among the younger cruisers... we have received numerous comments from fellow passengers about how nice is it is to see young people on the ship... we're in our early 30's.

What is the typical age range for Celebrity passengers?

We also noticed that Celebrity hosts honeymooner gatherings on their ships... Has anyone attended these? Do couple usually show up?

Thanks!

My husband and I are early thirties as well and we've been cruising X since 2005. We're pretty much always among the younger cruisers too but it doesn't bother us. People with more life experience are often more fun :)

We've also been to the honeymoon/anniversary parties and they are usually packed. They give you some free cake and a photo op, and then they honour the couple who has been married the longest time and the one who is the most newly wed. On our last cruise, there was a couple who got married on embarkation day, and a couple who had been married 66 years. Very inspiring to see!

Hello!

My fiance and I are looking at one of the 14 night Baltic/Northern Europe cruises in June 2013 for our honeymoon :)

We have previously cruised on Princess and have noticed that we are sometimes among the younger cruisers... we have received numerous comments from fellow passengers about how nice is it is to see young people on the ship... we're in our early 30's.

We also noticed that Celebrity hosts honeymooner gatherings on their ships... Has anyone attended these? Do couple usually show up?

Thanks!

On my last 14 day cruise out of Southampton, England in Sept. The average age was 66 years. The oldest that I met on my cruise was 97 young.

Being that you are cruising in the summer when school is out, the average age will come down. Most cruises have all ages onboard. Richard

We will be taking our first Celebrity cruise in a little over a month. We're in our early thirties, but expect that we'll likely be younger than most. The average age on Celebrity has to be younger than a line like Holland America, where I'd wager the age of the average passenger is 172. ;-)

A 14 night cruise on any cruise line will attract mainly older passengers as younger cruisers often cannot easily get that much time off as well as might not be able to afford a lengthy cruise. Celebrity does also tend to attract somewhat of an older average clientele than most of the mass market cruise lines, though there is enough geared towards people in their 30s and 40s that it should not be an issue unless it is important for you to be surrounded with many people near your age. Celebrity's sister line, Royal Caribbean (both are owned by the same parent corporation) tends to attract significantly younger average age than Celebrity and also has a lot more activities and venues geared towards children, families and young adults (as well as a lot more nightlife). While Celebrity has less such venues and activities, it is a bit more of an upscale, sophisticated experience than sister line Royal Caribbean.

I hate to tell you how old I am but I'm ancient and you are right about HAL. I felt like I was a twenty something.

One thing to think about is age in relation to physical limitations. On a port intensive cruise like the Baltic you will see more active passengers of every age. Just think about the difficulties of air travel, the effects of time changes, and the strenuous walk up the hills in Talinn and you will realize that the typical Caribbean cruiser living in The Villages (forgive me Dianne) and swearing by HAL will not be onboard.

As far as which cruise, just compare itineraries and the times of your port stays. Cost can also be a factor. Excursions, and I recommend booing privately with others from your Roll Call, are expensive.

I hope the wedding plans run smoothly, your wedding is a joy and your honeymoon is unforgettable.

On a pair of B2B cruises has spring it was very interesting to note the significant differences in demographics between the two cruises. While there were few children on either cruise (neither leg seemed to fall during spring break), the passengers on the first (San Diego to Ft. Lauderdale) were much younger than on the second (Ft. Lauderdale to Seattle). While on both cruises passengers were having fun, there were definitely more scouters and walkers on the second leg than on the first.

We were on a 15 day cruise in Sept.for our 66th anniversary and will be on the Equinox Dec.10,God willing.There were a few young children on that cruise that made everyone smile. A mixture is nice.The anniversary-honeymoon parties are usually fun,maybe because we usually get the wine for being married the longest.LOL.

Lemstar, while I have not done a holiday cruise. I can safely say there will be quite a few younger people on your cruise. We were talking to our bartender a few years ago on an Alaskan cruise and while he said our cruise was definitely an older crowd, he said he had done holiday ones where 1/3 of the ship was kids.

Age is but a number - it's the state of mind and ability of body that makes one old.

Judy

With all due respect, I think that this is one of those statements that is often repeated, and while it is true that some younger people are more mature than their peers, and some older folks (and I am including myself in that category) who enjoy things that the younger generation does, there is more often than not significant differences between people in their 70's and in their 20's.

Last night I listened to a public radio station that one of my kids was DJing on. It was ska, which, while I listen to top 40 and pop, isn't my thing. Neither is rap, which is the biggest type of money maker there is.

On the other hand, I went on a river cruise over the summer, and if I had to listen to Lawrence Welk music for one more minute, I was going to scream (I'm in my early 50's). Many of my fellow passengers (averaging in their mid 70's) really enjoyed it.

This is a small example, but I think it is meaningful. Many cultural references that we hold are there because of the generation we grew up in. People of vastly different generations may appreciate the same things, even, but, more often than not, they will see things differently. Young people may appreciate classic rock, but they identify it as "classic" rock. We see it as the music of our generation.

I respect the OP for asking this question. I think it is something to be taken into account when choosing a vacation.

BTW, I have noticed that it is mostly us "older folk" who use the saying "age is only a number". I don't see many 20-somethings saying that. ;-)

With all due respect, I think that this is one of those statements that is often repeated, and while it is true that some younger people are more mature than their peers, and some older folks (and I am including myself in that category) who enjoy things that the younger generation does, there is more often than not significant differences between people in their 70's and in their 20's.

Last night I listened to a public radio station that one of my kids was DJing on. It was ska, which, while I listen to top 40 and pop, isn't my thing. Neither is rap, which is the biggest type of money maker there is.

On the other hand, I went on a river cruise over the summer, and if I had to listen to Lawrence Welk music for one more minute, I was going to scream (I'm in my early 50's). Many of my fellow passengers (averaging in their mid 70's) really enjoyed it.

This is a small example, but I think it is meaningful. Many cultural references that we hold are there because of the generation we grew up in. People of vastly different generations may appreciate the same things, even, but, more often than not, they will see things differently. Young people may appreciate classic rock, but they identify it as "classic" rock. We see it as the music of our generation.

I respect the OP for asking this question. I think it is something to be taken into account when choosing a vacation.

BTW, I have noticed that it is mostly us "older folk" who use the saying "age is only a number". I don't see many 20-somethings saying that. ;-)

I think you raise valid points. Certainly you can enjoy meeting and spending time with people of all ages, but if a ship is very skewed to an age different than yours, particularly if you enjoy social events of various types, it will make a difference on your cruise. I am 61, and a few years ago went on a lovely 10 day cruise on the west coast of Mexico. While I absolutely loved the cruise and the itinerary, I can tell you the ambiance of that cruise was WAY different than I am used to, even at my 'advanced' age:). The music in Rendevous was big band. Like big band, but certainly don't want to hear it night after night. The average age of passengers had to be well over mid-70's, with many clearly in their 80's and beyond. The ship shut down by 10:00 pm latest, no matter the venue. Getting an elevator was an exercise in extreme patience due to the number of walkers and wheelchairs (NOT criticizing, just stating facts). Same for eating in the buffet. Again, not criticizing, it just was very, very time consuming - that's the facts. Social events were geared towards the very senior crowd. Again, please don't flame me - not complaining just saying that is how it was. For us it was a very relaxing cruise with wonderful ports of call. But if I were looking for more social involvement, and any nightlife at all, I would have been very disappointed on that particular cruise.

My husband and I are in our mid-30's and we love the Celebrity experience. A lot of it depends on your interests and destinations. Itineraries that are longer and not as beach oriented will tend to scale older in demographic. I have made cruises friends with both people our age and those older than us. It's a great experience. Although we do tend to be one of the younger on the ship, it doesn't impact us and we continue to sail Celebrity more and more than we do Royal Caribbean now. :D

Hello!

Thanks!

Middle age to elderly.

I know you are looking for ages, I would say most are 50-80 on Celebrity, with a nice number of under 40's mixed in and a few over 90's, but I actually think the overall atmosphere is more important than the overall age.

We took our first cruise together 20 years ago on Holland America's Rotterdam to Alaska for our Honeymoon, where the average age was about 85+ well not really,.... probably just a touch older than the average Celebrity crowt at about 75, but we choose that ship for service and traditions and high quality experience over a party type of cruise. That just suited our personality better. We actually spent much of our time in the Piano bar where we sang and visited with people who like the old song book standards.

We thought we might return to Holland America for our 10 year anniversary cruise on he Mexican Riviera, but a very astute travel agent thought that the slightly younger demographic and slightly more hip atmosphere on Celebrity would be a better fit for us. Boy was he right. It was a great fit for us.

Service is highly personalized and we have found that the staff often offer alternatives rather than an outright "no" when there is an issue. The Philippine bands that are contracted on many of the ships play the right mix of pop and classic rock and dance/party music. We enjoy the theme parties and deck parties too.

Probably what we appreciate most about Celebrity is the wine and dine experience. We still find the semolliers to be one of the best reasons to cruise Celebrity because we are wine lovers. We have met fellow wine lovers and have really enjoyed visiting with them no matter what age.

We have always found plenty to do, but sometimes that "Plenty to Do" is just enjoying conversation with fellow passengers, and sometimes it is me dancing all night with new friends.

So if the overall experience for which you are looking is non-stop parties, over the top entertainment, and sports, Royal might be a better fit, or maybe Carnival (I know lots of older people who love Carnival too.)

But if an emphasis on attentive personalized service, more subdued entertainment, some activity, but not constant, and an excellent wine and dine experience is more your preference, then Celebrity is a good fit.

Valid points, also living location (urban vs rural) is another factor in culture.

We have done two X cruises. First one was Infinity repo from FLL through the Panama Canal down the West Coast of SA to Chile. Age average was about 60.

Second was the Constellation last March for a two week cruise in the Caribbean. The average age was about 70, oldest cruise that we have been on. Still, it wasn't a problem.

Our youngest age average was our NCL Epic 7 day Western Med cruise last May. Average age about 45.

Archived