Is it worthwhile to be an RCL shareholder to get cruising benefits

datolim

Just came across this info and wonder what the feedback is.

Over the years, RC has made this much more difficult to use because all sorts of combinations are not allowed. The biggest thing is they don't allow the C&A balcony discount or any Royal OBC to be used with it.

Over the years, RC has made this much more difficult to use because all sorts of combinations are not allowed. The biggest thing is they don't allow the C&A balcony discount or any Royal OBC to be used with it.

But Bob, I just started cruising RCL this year and have no C & A discount or OBC.

It has been a very good long term investment over the years. It is currently at or near it's all time high. You would first have to determine if you feel it is a good investment. Then you can consider that if you cruise at least once a year for 7 nights you can get what amounts to a extra $100 divided per year.

Personally I have done very well with it having owned it since 1999.

But Bob, I just started cruising RCL this year and have no C & A discount or OBC.

The share price is very high. It's not that great of an investment AS an investment, and buying it just for the potential of some OBC on an occasional cruise is not a very wise financial decision, IMO.

I have benefited quite a lot previously but now there are so many caveats that prevent you from qualifying for the OBC.

I sold my shares a few months ago. Will buy back if they dip as an investment opportunity but not for the OBC.

I have benefited quite a lot previously but now there are so many caveats that prevent you from qualifying for the OBC.

I sold my shares a few months ago. Will buy back if they dip as an investment opportunity but not for the OBC.

Could you elaborate on the many caveats that would prevent me from qualifying for the OBC.

Virtually every RC price these days is part of some sort of fake sale. The fake sales can include things like "instant discounts" or bonus OBC, which would not be combinable with the shareholder benefit OBC. This is without any C&A perks.

Edited by Host Clarea

Virtually every RC price these days is part of some sort of fake sale. The fake sales can include things like "instant disciunts" or bonus OBC, which would not be combinable with the shareholder benefit OBC. This is without any C&A perks.

I use it when I book inside cabins (OK for OV as well). If I have "gratuitous" RCL OBC attached to my reservation, I have been successful in getting the difference between the full Shareholder OBC and the gratuitous OBC applied to my account.

For a 14 Day TA next month I am getting the full $250.

Virtually every RC price these days is part of some sort of fake sale. The fake sales can include things like "instant discounts" or bonus OBC, which would not be combinable with the shareholder benefit OBC. This is without any C&A perks.

That is why I don't ever book through RCL, Period. (I am learning from your Shaun Spicer)

Always book through local TA and there is no such thing as OBC, Period.

So with my C &A gold status don't you think the shareholders OBC could be fully utilized.

That is why I don't ever book through RCL, Period. (I am learning from your Shaun Spicer)

Always book through local TA and there is no such thing as OBC, Period.

So with my C &A gold status don't you think the shareholders OBC could be fully utilized.

Possibly, I know that several folks here say they can get the shareholder OBC reliably. However, when the share price was $6 or $8, it was quite a different situation than when the share price is over $100. Much more money at stake.

The share price is very high. It's not that great of an investment AS an investment, and buying it just for the potential of some OBC on an occasional cruise is not a very wise financial decision, IMO.

Carol, I bought it at $6 per share and have watched it go up and up. Now I guess I'll ride it down. I did sell 100 shares @ $ 92 and got my initial investment back plus a nice profit (taxable) ;-{ Anyway, as already stated the shareholder benefit is not as good as it used to be with all the gimmick sales. Bill

I bought it 10 years ago for the on-board credit and got the credit a few times.

However, the have made it less attractive so I never qualify any,ore.

On the other hand, I bought it near its low so I have made a few bucks.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Possibly, I know that several folks here say they can get the shareholder OBC reliably. However, when the share price was $6 or $8, it was quite a different situation than when the share price is over $100. Much more money at stake.

Thanks Bob. That clears up something in my mind. Make sense. But with the price above $100 it is a lot of money. But the important thing is is RCL a good investment.

Thanks Bob. That clears up something in my mind. Make sense. But with the price above $100 it is a lot of money. But the important thing is is RCL a good investment.

Well, it has been a good investment the last few years. With the current hurricane situation, I might wait a bit before I invest a good chunk of change in their stock.

Also don't forget if you also cruise with Celebrity you can use it there (as long as you don't have a future cruise credit....not combinable). One good thing about CCL stock. When we use on Princess we can combine everything. Have gone on with as much as $1800.00 obc.

Also don't forget if you also cruise with Celebrity you can use it there (as long as you don't have a future cruise credit....not combinable). One good thing about CCL stock. When we use on Princess we can combine everything. Have gone on with as much as $1800.00 obc.

I love Princess, never have gotten that much OBC but know many have!