NCL Pearl 9/6 to 9/13 Bridge Cam Time Lapse

triptolemus

A week or two ago, I set up a script on my server to grab one image every minute from the NCL server. I know we've seen time lapse bridge cam before, but I'm doing this for my own voyage coming up next week, and I thought I'd share the results of the test.

The test was 95% successful. There were some image errors in Skagway. Nothing I can do about them -- the video is only as good as the images the server has at the time my script grabs it.

Obviously the YouTube video is below, along with a direct link. But anyone who was on this particular voyage and would like a copy to download, I've placed it on my sever (293 MB). Feel free to download a copy... link below.

Amazing how fast time flies on a cruise... 7 days in 8 minutes...enjoy!

[YOUTUBE]y6qAvyLhHo0[/YOUTUBE]

YouTube direct link:

Link to video on server: http://mrose.org/cc/video/pearl/

Edited by triptolemus

Very nice! Will make a wonderful keepsake of my DW's dream trip. Thank you triptolemus for taking the time to set this up! I'd hate to imagine how much NCL would charge to burn this to a DVD. Hopefully, they won't get any ideas until after our trip. Lol

Sent from my Z992 using Tapatalk

looks amazing....hope it works next week for our cruise!

Thanks...

Yeah, it'll work just fine...aside from the image errors on NCL's server. I've actually got it running simultaneously against three ships, Jewel, Pearl, and Sun. The whole thing's been running non-stop since Sept 3. If anyone wanted a particular trip from a particular ship, I could do it pretty easily...

Here's one of the Sun... It's not start to finish and it's not captioned, and I didn't look up her itinerary...but has some pretty cool images...

Edited by triptolemus

Wow, that is really neat and you did it from the bridge cam! Someday I'll learn how to do that with the go pro, yeah wishful thinking.

Your going on the Pearl? She's our favorite.

Yes, and yes...

This particular video consists of 10,604 stills of the Pearl's bridge cam. The script to do it is precisely two lines long. Simply stated, it's doing a "Save As..." every minute to the bridge cam URL. Then a nifty little app turns it into a video.

A GoPro would do a much better job, including HD. Sadly, I don't think NCL will allow us to mount our own camera on the bridge... :)

Will be our first time on Pearl, fourth time to Alaska... twice previously on Jewel (the other, Princess).

Thank you for sharing!

I love time lapse videos :)

Could you do one for the Escape, as soon as she's getting a bridge cam until she's in Miami? :) I'll be on the inaugural TA and would love to see/get the video for it - even though with 10 sea days it will be boring for almost everyone else.

If she'll get the cam in Hamburg or before it would be really cool to see her coming to Hamburg and then to Southampton (3 times :D) before she starts for Miami.

Thank you for sharing!

I love time lapse videos :)

Could you do one for the Escape, as soon as she's getting a bridge cam until she's in Miami? :) I'll be on the inaugural TA and would love to see/get the video for it - even though with 10 sea days it will be boring for almost everyone else.

If she'll get the cam in Hamburg or before it would be really cool to see her coming to Hamburg and then to Southampton (3 times :D) before she starts for Miami.

Sure... I'd be happy to try. Do you happen to know the timeframe of when she'll make her first Hamburg/Southampton transit?

Edited by triptolemus

Sure... I'd be happy to try. Do you happen to know the timeframe of when she'll make her first Hamburg/Southampton transit?

She's starting on Oct 25 from Hamburg to Southampton, 2 cruises to nowhere from Southampton, then off to Miami on Oct 29, arrival date Nov 8.

:)

Thank you for trying!

That was very cool to watch, triptolemus. Glad our trip won't be over in 8 minutes though! ;) I think it would be cool to have an aft cam. Temperatures are showing chilly, cloudy and rainy. But, we will make the best of it! See you all in 5 days! We depart Florida on Friday afternoon; pre-cruise in Seattle then hello Sunday!

It's a crew pool

Really? Thanks. I've never seen anyone use it. Granted I don't monitor it all the time while on a cruise. It's hardly bigger than a hot tub.

ETA: Okay, I found a thread on this topic from 2012 and it confirms that it's for the crew.

Edited by hawk1972

This is just a whole lotta awesome! I am a time lapse junky, as some may know I do 2-3 off our balcony on every cruise.

You definitely have to do a Panama Canal capture..

That's a good idea... although I think I've seen one done by someone with a real HD camera, situated on their fwd suite balcony.

I'll try it though.

Awesome, tripto.

I experimented with a polaroid action cam on our cruise, mounting it on a large spring clamp I bought from Home Depot. I was able to clip it to the partition of our balcony and captured sailaway and Glacier Bay video, the trip up and down Mt. Roberts on the tram, and also mounted it on a bracket of the White Pass Rail train balcony and recorded most of that trip. Not great quality, but fun all the same. Maybe I'll get around to posting some of it some day.

Edited by quercus alba