Nieuw Amsterdam Port Everglades Sail-Away Mar 10, 2018

Boytjie

What's a weather bomb?
It's a made up term courtesy of the Weather Channel. Just liked named winter storms.

Can't just call it the "blizzard of March 2018.". Doesn't have the same ratings impact.

It's a made up term courtesy of the Weather Channel. Just liked named winter storms.

Can't just call it the "blizzard of March 2018.". Doesn't have the same ratings impact.

My area had a "weather bomb" two years in a row in the late 1970's. True blizzards, but, fortunately, we had some advance warnings. Plenty of ready to eat food, water, flashlight batteries, and Canadian Club in stock. And, I knew where I stored extra blankets.

It was a weather event beautiful to observe from the inside. Glad I had no need to venture outside. (More Kudos for the medical personnel, fire, and police people that did! And, let's not forget the road and electrical company crews as well.)

Thanks Brian
There is such a thing as "explosive cyclogenenisis" which refers to rapidly intensifying storms that occur over the ocean, but the recent use of the new terms is mostly a ratings grabber.

Most of the storms are just good old nor'easters.

I'm having a strange afternoon - I have intermittent sound, but I haven't heard a single toot!:eek::') I keep turning things on and off, but maybe things will be better tomorrow. I'd like to wait and see Maury coming in though. Maybe after Independence.:)

Jacqui, hope all goes well with the weather bomb!

I'm having a strange afternoon - I have intermittent sound, but I haven't heard a single toot!:eek::') I keep turning things on and off, but maybe things will be better tomorrow. I'd like to wait and see Maury coming in though. Maybe after Independence.:)

With regard to Maury. I think I heard the Harbormaster tell the ship it would be 1730 when the Pilot would arrive. Maybe transferring a Pilot from a cruise ship to her?

Umm, you haven't lived up North for a while. You don't know what a weather bomb is. Your post sounds like you are belittling the threat. There are 'Nor Easters and blizzards and sure, we are used to them. This is a mix of stong winds ( up to hurricane force) and a 'Nor Easter. I guess I wasn't clear in my last post.

Sorry if my explanation before wasn't clear enough, but you are down south and get to watch it on TV. We get to live through it.

Belittle our 'Nor Easters and serious storms all you want. A weather bomb may have been created by weather forecasters but it is the best explanation. Did you see the devastation on your own Eastern Seaboard? How about we trade spots? I'll take your condo and you can come up here and deal with it? Of course, no flights will be going so it won't work ;)

Thanks Ann, I'm hoping we miss it somehow. We've had enough ice, snow and wind to sink a battleship in the last two weeks.

But, I'm on a countdown for my cruise ;)