Amsterdam Wetdock

altiguy

I understand at the conclusion of the Alaska season on Sept. 25 in Seattle, Amsterdam will go through wetdock before sailing on Oct. 1 out of San Diego for the Grand Asia and Pacific voyage.

Does anyone know what it's being done on the ship and whether the wetdock will be done in Seattle, San Diego or somewhere else?

Thanks.

Wondering if they will sail empty to San Diego after the wet dock or if some of the Grand Asia pax will board in Seattle

I think if that was a possibility I would not have been moved to the Oosterdam but could have been put up in a hotel for a day or 2. Work may also be continuing while the ship is in transit.

No idea what is being done. Keep an eye on Captain Albert's blog.

Roy

I'm on the Amsterdam right now in Alaska. The dining room manager stopped by our table last evening and he subject of the "wet dock" came up. He said the they're going to remove and replace the carpet in the Main Dining Room. I don't know what else is planned, but that's at least one of the fixes they're making.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 5 months later...

Here are the pages from Captain Albert's Blog which describe the Amsterdam Wet Dock last September. Basically new carpeting everywhere and plumbing. New Dance Floor and sanding of all the Teak wood outside. Money well spent to keep this old beauty pristine. Quite interesting pictures:

https://www.hollandamerica.com/blog/excluderecent/26-september-2017-tacoma-vigor-island-shipyard/

https://www.hollandamerica.com/blog/excluderecent/27-september-2017-enroute/

Edited by curtdesilets

Wondering if they will sail empty to San Diego after the wet dock or if some of the Grand Asia pax will board in Seattle

The Grand Asia is not sailing out of San Diego this year. It is/was sailing out of LA. However, HAL has just added the 7-day Coastal Pacific from Seattle to the voyage, so now it is the "89 day Grand Asia." I am really excited about this itinerary - can't wait.

BTW how close is the port to anything?

Here are the pages from Captain Albert's Blog which describe the Amsterdam Wet Dock last September. Basically new carpeting everywhere and plumbing. New Dance Floor and sanding of all the Teak wood outside. Money well spent to keep this old beauty pristine. Quite interesting pictures:

https://www.hollandamerica.com/blog/excluderecent/26-september-2017-tacoma-vigor-island-shipyard/

https://www.hollandamerica.com/blog/excluderecent/27-september-2017-enroute/

The Amsterdam is going in to drydock in May, 2018, after the World Cruise returns. Like other drydocks, there will probably be extensive renovations/repairs. As long as they keep the library, please!

As far as I know, the most significant change may be the addition of Lanai Category Staterooms on Lower Promenade Deck. (Unless, of course, the "suits in Seattle" re-think this decision.)

I wonder how well this decision will be accepted by Grand Voyage Guests when they "discover" that the deck chairs in some of the best sheltered viewing positions are reserved for the guests occupying the Lanai Staterooms.

As far as I know, the most significant change may be the addition of Lanai Category Staterooms on Lower Promenade Deck. (Unless, of course, the "suits in Seattle" re-think this decision.)

I wonder how well this decision will be accepted by Grand Voyage Guests when they "discover" that the deck chairs in some of the best sheltered viewing positions are reserved for the guests occupying the Lanai Staterooms.

We will cheer! (from a Grand Voyage guest booked in a new Lanai)

Me too. Already have our towel holders. Flip flops and margarita glasses

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Good thing you are bringing your margarita glasses - I can't see a steel band and margarita flowing at sailaway in Seattle!

BTW, since it doesn't sail until 11:00 p.m., does anyone know the approximate time for boarding on the 23rd?

Good thing you are bringing your margarita glasses - I can't see a steel band and margarita flowing at sailaway in Seattle!

BTW, since it doesn't sail until 11:00 p.m., does anyone know the approximate time for boarding on the 23rd?

I wonder about that also. Or is it possible to check in, then leave?

The Amsterdam is going in to drydock in May, 2018, after the World Cruise returns. Like other drydocks, there will probably be extensive renovations/repairs. As long as they keep the library, please!

28 April - 09 May 2018' Grand Bahama shipyard, Freeport, the Bahamas - Twenty-one new Lanai staterooms replacing ocean-view staterooms on Lower Promenade deck; La Fontaine dining room changed to “The Dining Room”; Queen’s Lounge changed to “the Mainstage”; Shorex changed to ‘EXC Tours’;Front Office changed to ‘Guest Services’; Suite upgrades and enhancements, incl. new sofa,lounge and desk chairs, carpeting and wall covers, a quartz stone top on the desk, dresser, nightstands and makeup vanity. Electronic upgrades include a USB outlet added the bed's headboard, LED reading lights and a lighted closet rod.A Bose iPod docking station, in-cabin coffee and espresso machine in PS suites only. An interactive TV system on large LED flat-screen TV’s with complimentary movies on demand as well as access to the daily program and shipboard information incl. restaurant overviews,spa services and guest billing; bathroom enhancements; standard stateroom upgrades incl. wall-mounted flat TV.

That subject was a sore subject on our recent cruise. It's well known that those who reserve a lanai, like we do, have a reserved chair outside the cabin. It caused some serious arguments along the way, thankfully not with me. However, they can have a reserved chair, too, if they are will to pay a hefty premium for the lanai cabin. It is clearly stated in the 2018/2019 catalogue that you will have a "reserved chair waiting for you" should you book that cabin.

• 1 month later...
That subject was a sore subject on our recent cruise. It's well known that those who reserve a lanai, like we do, have a reserved chair outside the cabin. It caused some serious arguments along the way, thankfully not with me. However, they can have a reserved chair, too, if they are will to pay a hefty premium for the lanai cabin. It is clearly stated in the 2018/2019 catalogue that you will have a "reserved chair waiting for you" should you book that cabin.

Crazy that there are disputes over reserved chairs for Lanai guests. Maybe a good way to secure them is to get that "Fake Barf" that you used to be able to order from the back of comic books. Spread those around the chairs and nobody will bother you. ;p;p