Different e-mail from O

DoulaAnn

We got an e-mail yesterday from Oceania and I had never seen it discussed on here. We got a "down-sell"! They offered us a B1 instead of our A2 with a refund on the fare difference and a significant OBC. We are sailing with another couple, and they were even willing to accommodate our adjacent room request. My DH decided against it (I was willing). Just thought it was interesting, as I had never heard of such.

Ann

It has happened fairly regularly ... we received such an offer a week or two ago, to downgrade from a PH3 on Marina to a B2. We also declined. In our case it would have meant a refund of over $5,000. Not too shabby ...

Mura

Yes - it happens fairly frequently and can be very lucrative and tempting at time ("an offer you can't refuse" :D)

Our most recent offer was not a good one. Won't take it anyway as we are so looking forward to PH3 on the TA. 1 month til we see you Paul & Marsha:)

Our most recent offer was not a good one. Won't take it anyway as we are so looking forward to PH3 on the TA. 1 month til we see you Paul & Marsha:)

Same here but we once had a down sell offer for over $5000 - we took it.

See you in a month :)

It has happened fairly regularly ... we received such an offer a week or two ago, to downgrade from a PH3 on Marina to a B2. We also declined. In our case it would have meant a refund of over $5,000. Not too shabby ...

Mura

$5,000 for the stateroom ($2,500 per person)? How does that compare with the difference between the PH3 and the B2 when you first booked? The reason I ask is because you have to subtract that amount from the $5,000 just to start the comparison, don't you?

Edited by gillianrose

I've never actually heard of this happening on a cruise line! I've received upsell opportunities twice -- took one, declined the other -- but this is a new one on me. Interesting!

In our case I'd have to decline -- we've got one of the extended-balcony B3, and I wouldn't give that up. I don't expect we'll get an upsell -- I can't imagine they'd upgrade us all the way to PH, and I wouldn't take an upsell to another veranda cabin, and lose the extended balcony.

I've never actually heard of this happening on a cruise line! I've received upsell opportunities twice -- took one, declined the other -- but this is a new one on me. Interesting!

In our case I'd have to decline -- we've got one of the extended-balcony B3, and I wouldn't give that up. I don't expect we'll get an upsell -- I can't imagine they'd upgrade us all the way to PH, and I wouldn't take an upsell to another veranda cabin, and lose the extended balcony.

Being in the Caribbean odds are pretty good you won't get a downsell offer. Perhaps an upsell. For the most part they are lucky just to get the ships filled in the Caribbean.

Most of the these things happen on the popular itineraries.

Being in the Caribbean odds are pretty good you won't get a downsell offer. Perhaps an upsell. For the most part they are lucky just to get the ships filled in the Caribbean.

Most of the these things happen on the popular itineraries.

Wellll...if I got a decent upsell to a PH I would jump at it, that's for sure! I'll keep my fingers crossed. But considering I'm only in a B3, it seems unlikely that I would get an offer all the way up to PH.

If the itinerary is unique eg single high demand sailing and they are seriously oversold downsells can be amazing. On last year's Iceland cruise we took a downsell from a ph to an outside for 14000. My wife was hesitant to give up the bathtub and butler but I convinced her. Others were offered similar deals but turned them down

Downsells can be negotiated. A good ta can help

Bob

Edited by bitob

We took a move-over. The move over came with an upgrade to penthouse.

Two weeks before the cruise we were a downgrade to concierge balcony with a substantial amount of cash. We took that too.

Edited by sitraveler

We were booked on Insignia's Amazon cruise last December and took a downsell from PH3 to A1 for a 50% refund ($5K pp). The fire was three days later and when the cruise was canceled we unfortunately lost our right to future credit based on our original fare which would have come to $5K pp. Instead we got half of that. Oh well, it seemed like a good idea at the time and it was all "free money" anyway.

On our upcoming Riviera cruise we were offered a "full rate" upsell (higher category for exactly the published difference between our existing category and the offered suite) and a few days later a downsell for about a 25% refund. Didn't take either one.