Extension cord confiscation question

okeytaco

I've already requested an extension cord for my husband's CPAP from special needs for use on the cruise. We will need our own cord for our continuing travels in Europe. On other ships we have never had a problem but it seems RCL is a bit more stringent. My question is...if they confiscate our extension cord when will we get it back? The night before or the morning of debarking?

I've already requested an extension cord for my husband's CPAP from special needs for use on the cruise. We will need our own cord for our continuing travels in Europe. On other ships we have never had a problem but it seems RCL is a bit more stringent. My question is...if they confiscate our extension cord when will we get it back? The night before or the morning of debarking?

I always pack an extension cord in the CPAP case. It has never been questioned or looked at. I also carry it on. I also carry converter for other items, and it has never been questioned (note I don't use it on the ship, but some hotels it was needed in Europe). I also usually have an small extension cord in my suitcase, and it was never questioned.

If they do happen to confiscate your extension cord, usually there is a table set up somewhere when you disembark with the confiscated items on it.

I see the OP isn't planning to use theirs on board, so that's great. To the others keep in mind that these items are prohibited for a reason. There is a real safety risk to using electrical items that are not designed for a marine electrical system.

Wife & I both use CPAP machines.

Most CPAP machines use an external power supply/transformer that plugs into the CPAP machine then a power cord from the power supply/transformer to the wall socket. (This is not an extension cord, it is the part of the CPAPs power supply)

That power cord is sometime only about 5 ft long. I was able to find two that are 20 feet long and wind up nicely inside our CPAP bags..

We Still Ask For An Extension Cord and Distilled Water...

Dennis & Sue

Extension cords are not what they have been confiscating and holding. Power strips have been the issue. This is because some of them are not compatible with Marine Power systems and can be a fire hazard. As long as it is just and extension cord without a surge protector or GFCI, there is no problem.

Extension cords are not what they have been confiscating and holding. Power strips have been the issue. This is because some of them are not compatible with Marine Power systems and can be a fire hazard. As long as it is just and extension cord without a surge protector or GFCI, there is no problem.

This matched my experience as well. We always have an extension cord. Never a problem.

One our first cruise, 6+ years ago, we naively brought an actual power strip with us. They didn't confiscate it, but our steward, while we were out, unplugged everything from it, unplugged the strip from the wall, and put it in our closet. No note. We just had to guess it was considered a no-no.

I am thinking if you take a cord less than six feet long they won't know it from a hair dryer or curling iron cord. Don't try to pack jumper cables and you should be fine. When we got off the Oasis there was a table set up just outside the terminal with all the confiscated stuff on it. I didn't see any extension cords. I saw a few power strips with surge protectors, a blender, and a light saber. They also took somebodies Super Soaker.

I am thinking if you take a cord less than six feet long they won't know it from a hair dryer or curling iron cord. Don't try to pack jumper cables and you should be fine. When we got off the Oasis there was a table set up just outside the terminal with all the confiscated stuff on it. I didn't see any extension cords. I saw a few power strips with surge protectors, a blender, and a light saber. They also took somebodies Super Soaker.

They do not allow hair dryers or curling irons.

They DO allow hair dryers and curling irons and hair straighteners...

Well you guys were both half-right. From the prohibited items list:

"Candles, Incense, Coffee Makers, Clothes Irons, Travel Steamers & Hot Plates. (Items that generate heat or produce an open flame. This includes heating pads, clothing irons, hotplates, candles, incense and any other item that may create a fire hazard. NOTE: The only exception to this policy are curling irons and hair straighteners."

Hair dryer not specifically mentioned, but not excepted, either. And it produces heat. There are hair dryers onboard anyway.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/prohibited-items-onboard-policy

When we were on Anthem over Christmas, my simple extension cord was confiscated from my CPAP case by security as we went into the building in New Jersey. I was offered to be given a tag to retrieve it when I got off the ship but since it was maybe $5, I said "thanks but no thanks".

"Candles, Incense, Coffee Makers, Clothes Irons, Travel Steamers & Hot Plates. (Items that generate heat or produce an open flame. This includes heating pads, clothing irons, hotplates, candles, incense and any other item that may create a fire hazard. NOTE: The only exception to this policy are curling irons and hair straighteners."

Hair dryer not specifically mentioned, but not excepted, either. And it produces heat. There are hair dryers onboard anyway.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/prohibited-items-onboard-policy

Well, I'm bringing mine -- it's a "round brush" dryer -- ie, I can dry & style with one tool, much easier than using 2 hands....

On Indy last month they took my 12" long extension cord that I use so I have extra outlets. Definitely NOT a surge protector. I argued with Security to no avail. Was able to retrieve it in the terminal after disembarking the ship in Ft. LAuderdale.

When we were on Anthem over Christmas, my simple extension cord was confiscated from my CPAP case by security as we went into the building in New Jersey. I was offered to be given a tag to retrieve it when I got off the ship but since it was maybe $5, I said "thanks but no thanks".
Fortunately Anthem has an outlet by the bed.

I'm curious about what type of extension cord you had. Was it a lamp cord or heavy duty? The heavy duty cord in my wife's CPAP bag hasn't been questioned thus far, but she's only taken it on 3 cruises. One of them being Anthem. So far the extension cord hasn't been needed, on a ship out elsewhere, since her unit came with a pretty long cord, but we still carry it.

Table Saw or drill press?