Open bar on Sun

DCLCrazy

Sorry, no chocolate martinis. :( I tried several different bars and they all told me that the only martinis they were "allowed" to make were the ones on their menu - classic, Cosmo and French.

I really didn't understand why they couldn't make them since they had all the ingredients (they could make mudslides so why not chocolate martinis)? I was pretty bummed about the limited drink options.

No chocolates or my favorite, the Espresso Martini. I did enjoy the cosmos, though. Usually went directly to a bar and ordered it as a Tito’s Cosmo to get preferred vodka. They also had brand amaretto and sambuca among other name brand liquors. Best bet is to order in person and ask for a specific brand if you wish. Enjoy your trip. We sure did!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Selection limited. If you're a wine drinker, good luck. There's a few and they are awful. Abysmal beer selection as well.

There are some decent liquors but MAKE SURE YOU ORDER BY BRAND. During my whole cruise, I'd say 90% of all drinks I observed were made with crappy well liquors because passengers were naive and didn't pay attention as their drinks were made. They display the name brand stuff but if you simply ask for a "vodka and soda" they're going to reach straight for the well.

Selection limited. If you're a wine drinker, good luck. There's a few and they are awful. Abysmal beer selection as well.

There are some decent liquors but MAKE SURE YOU ORDER BY BRAND. During my whole cruise, I'd say 90% of all drinks I observed were made with crappy well liquors because passengers were naive and didn't pay attention as their drinks were made. They display the name brand stuff but if you simply ask for a "vodka and soda" they're going to reach straight for the well.

As a wine drinker recently on Sky (same concept as Sun) I was okay. I also had great champagne, but that was in the Plantation Lounge. Not sure if Sun has something comparable.

As for bartenders reaching straight for well, that is what they are trained to do. You only pour specific brands when 1) the drink menu specifies a specific brand 2) someone "calls" their brand. I was pleasantly surprised at the liquor selection. I am Woodford Reserve/Bulleit Rye, etc. bourbon drinker and a Tito's vodka drinker. My travel buddy is also particular about his alcohol and was also never unhappy.

As for bartenders reaching straight for well, that is what they are trained to do.

Yes, but it's worth noting that the Sun well is what you'd find at a dive bar. Most places I go to, Jim Beam or Jack is the cheapest whiskey in the house, which is definitely not the case on the Sun. Which is why I stress everyone to specify the brand they want.

Here is a web page with pictures of all the drink menus.

I stayed away from the pre-made drinks in the icee dispensers, preferred hand made with direct pours. I mostly stick with vodka drinks and red wine, never had a problem finding something good to try but mostly drank Stoli Mules. The Bushwhacker was nice.

http://www.cruisewithgambee.com/norwegian-drink-lists/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Edited by smithop

Anyone have any suggestions for specialty drinks to try on the Sun? I can't seem to find the drink menus online.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forums mobile app

Here are links for the menus someone posted from Sky but they were the same on Sun.

https://eatsleepcruise.com/wp-conten...04189-Copy.jpg

https://eatsleepcruise.com/wp-conten...04188-Copy.jpg

I think there was a frozen drink menu too.

There is a simple rule on the Sun/Sky -- if there is a price on the menu, it is not included.

If you go up and ask for a tequila sunrise, they're going to give you a crappy tequila, and it's free. If you say "Tequila Sunrise, please use quality Cazadores tequila!" it's going to cost something.

I just find some things odd on their menus, for example Sam Adams Boston Lager is included. Sam Adams Seasonal is $3.95/bottle. That's a $94.80 surcharge per case on two beers that are the same cost to buy!

It does seem like they've added more to the inclusive menu from a few years back, though.

Lots of beer to choose from bottle cans and drafts..the pool bar has a menu with drinks if the day that are included but the menus in the inside bars have prices listed. I just ordered the rebellious fish outside!! We did have the Irish coffee it was SUPER strong and cost 3.54, not 5.95?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums