Guaranteed catagory

chocobabs

I am booked on Diamond Princess, Feb 18, 2018 for 12 day New Zealand, Australia. I have sailed Princess many times before, but when I booked this one through a travel agent, I was assigned a guaranteed BF cabin. Since this has never happened to me before, should I be concerned? Any chance I fly halfway around the world and no cabin when I get there?

Can I demand a cabin assignment?

That cruise is sold out so you won't be able to change your booking to one where you choose your cabin, you will just have to be patient and wait and see what you get allocated. It might be worth checking online daily to see if any cabins free up, especially around final payment date but, even then it may not be possible to change your booking. If you do spot one get onto your TA as fast as possible.

You are guaranteed to get a cabin of BF category or better. You may not get your cabin assignment until quite close to the sail date though. We took a punt and booked a guarantee cabin on one Princess cruise as that was all that was available in the category we wanted. Our cabin was allocated about a week before the sail date.

Enjoy your cruise to NZ. :) You should get lovely weather at that time of year (we did a similar cruise in February this year) but pack layers and a rain jacket just in case. It can be quite cool doing the scenic cruising through Fiordland so pack a warm hat, gloves and scarf.

I am booked on Diamond Princess, Feb 18, 2018 for 12 day New Zealand, Australia. I have sailed Princess many times before, but when I booked this one through a travel agent, I was assigned a guaranteed BF cabin. Since this has never happened to me before, should I be concerned? Any chance I fly halfway around the world and no cabin when I get there?

You should not be concerned. Princess guarantees you will have a Cat. BF balcony cabin or better. You may not find out your cabin assignment until after you leave home. There's no chance at all that you will not have a cabin. Princess will make move-over offers to passengers if the ship is overbooked--sweetening the deal if necessary to get someone to agree not to take this cruise. There's a current thread about move-over offers for next week's cruise on the Crown Princess.

And no, you cannot demand a cabin assignment now--or rather, you could demand one, but Princess doesn't have to acquiesce to your demand. Princess guarantees you'll have a cabin before you get on the ship.

We have left home a few times without having a cabin assignment. We did not worry because we knew we were guaranteed to be on those cruises.

As others have said, there is no reason to worry, you are guaranteed to have a cabin- even if they assign it at check in ( although typically you will find our the cabin number prior to sailing). just keep an eye on your Personalizer for assigned cabin number.

The important thing to remember about booking a guarantee is to always book the category of cabin you will be happy with since you are assured to get that category or above.

A good travel agent would have explained how that guarantee works.... so I hope she/he did and you are just looking for actual peoples experiences with the guarantee's. If not switch your travel agent. As many people have said you should know your cabin # before you leave, however could be right up until the last minute. If you aren't fussy about location/deck etc I feel that the guarantee is always the way to go. Guarantee cabins gives cruise lines and opportunities to work with their inventory. They have to give you what you paid (BF) for or better - fingers crossed you get a nice upgrade!

Princess has done this for many many years, they know what they are doing with GTY's.

A GTY......Usually can be/assigned sometime/anytime up to a day or 2 before your cruise. Very rarely assigned at the pier. You can access bag tags/travel summary on the Princess cruise personalizer on the Princess website up to sailing day. The cabin assignment will be noted there.

Sometimes people think it was assigned at the pier but had they checked the personalizer the night before or the day of their cruise they may have seen the cabin assignment at that time. Hope this makes sense.

Just because it says sold out does not mean they won't have a cabin for you. Princess keeps cabins behind the scenes. They have been doing this forever and have it down to a science.

You will have a cabin.

We are 22 days from our cruise...waiting to see what we will be assigned with our MB guarantee. Ship has been sold out of MB and above for months....but we have been convinced by the folks on CC to have (blind) faith in Princess so we're trying to stay calm, at least on the outside.

We are 22 days from our cruise...waiting to see what we will be assigned with our MB guarantee. Ship has been sold out of MB and above for months....but we have been convinced by the folks on CC to have (blind) faith in Princess so we're trying to stay calm, at least on the outside.

Sounds like where we were when we received a moveover offer.

I think it's OK to have faith. We haven't heard of anyone getting kicked off the cruise at the pier (imagine THAT thread). You will either get and accept a moveover or you will be accommodated.

Jim

I thought that makeover offers were only made to folks who have a cabin assigned....NOT to those who have guaranteed cabins. Maybe I should look to see if there are some other Princess cruises we'd be willing to book :)

I thought that makeover offers were only made to folks who have a cabin assigned....NOT to those who have guaranteed cabins. Maybe I should look to see if there are some other Princess cruises we'd be willing to book :)

I think you are getting way ahead of yourself. ;)

You will have a cabin..... MB OR better, that's in the fine print of the cruise contract you enter when purchasing the cruise..... they may over-sell cruises like the airlines do however they can't operate like the airlines and move people at the pier LOL... hence move over offers..... and if you got a move over offer you don't have to take it, if you don't the next guy might or they will keep sweetening the pot until someone does and they have everyone in cabins..... nothing to be panicked about....

To be honest the longer it takes to get a cabin number the better I have found in my 18 years of cruising!

Happy Seas!:cool:

A guarantee is exactly what it says, the category you picked or higher. Once left on a flight 2 days before my cruise without cabin assignment. Had a plane change and while at the airport got an email from my TA that we were bumped to a window suite. Not bad. I usually select my cabin but have used other guarantees and always had a place to sleep.

You will have a cabin..... MB OR better, that's in the fine print of the cruise contract you enter when purchasing the cruise..... they may over-sell cruises like the airlines do however they can't operate like the airlines and move people at the pier LOL... hence move over offers..... and if you got a move over offer you don't have to take it, if you don't the next guy might or they will keep sweetening the pot until someone does and they have everyone in cabins..... nothing to be panicked about....

To be honest the longer it takes to get a cabin number the better I have found in my 18 years of cruising!

Happy Seas!:cool:

oh...I'm not panicked about getting a moveover offer.....I'd like to do this cruise (and yes, I know if I arrive at the port, I'll have a cabin, as booked, but just in case I do get an offer instead, I'd like to know if there's something I'd be equally eager to select...so I can either grab or reject the offer...since they are first come first served.