What should I wear?

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Viking Ocean
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 05:49 PM.
Nottingham, MD
139 Posts
Joined Aug 2015
Originally posted by Peregrina651
I don't bother. Viking has them in the cabins (in the closet) and on the gangway on rainy days. It is a good sized golf umbrella, better than the folding ones I have. With the folding ones, I always end up with a dry face and a wet posterior, so even though they don't fit in my day bag, I prefer the Viking umbrellas.
I liked the Viking umbrellas when it was already raining, but for those maybe rain days, I still like to carry my mini folding one.
1,732 Posts
Joined Jun 2013
Originally posted by lackcreativity
I liked the Viking umbrellas when it was already raining, but for those maybe rain days, I still like to carry my mini folding one.
Same. They are easy to tuck into your day bag. The big umbrellas from Viking are great when it's really wet....
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Grand Princess - SFO RT to Vancouver BC, Sept 2018
VikingSea - San Juan-Amazon-San Juan Dec 2017
Viking Star - Bergen- Stockholm 2015
Viking Star - Barcelona-Bergen 2015
HAL Ryndam - Istanbul- Barcelona 2014
HAL Ryndam - Athens -Istanbul 2014
Viking Skadi - Amsterdam- Budapest 2013
Princess - Western Mediterranean - 2010
Princess Golden - Alaska - 2010
92 Posts
Joined Mar 2017
Point taken I think I will pack a small one as well that I can take in my bag. I also plan on bringing a rain coat just in case.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
St. Paul MN
3,285 Posts
Joined Dec 2007
Originally posted by Missymssy
Peregrina651, just curious, but what style sketchers do you have? They all seem to look athletic. I do a lot of walking at work, so I was looking

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app
Look for the GO Walk label inside on the foot bed.
I have a black suede pair wiith black soles that I do wear to work. They are slip ons that come in many colors.
Boston MA
6,287 Posts
Joined Dec 2006
Peregrina651, just curious, but what style sketchers do you have? They all seem to look athletic. I do a lot of walking at work, so I was looking

Good thing I kept the boxes. I have six pairs in 4 different styles. Rival (13755-mesh looking fabric), Compose (13815--wool-like fabric for winter) both of which I have traveled in and two new styles Achiever (14165) and On the Edge (23315, which is very sport shoe looking).
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
"Caminante no hay camino, se hace camino al andar." Antonio Machado
Expand for links to links to photos and more.
The high value put upon every minute of time, the idea of hurry-hurry as the most important objective of living, is unquestionably the most dangerous enemy of joy Herman Hesse

Click on the links below for photos

AT SEA: 1983/NCL Caribbean ~ 1985/Premier DisneyWorld+Cruise ~ 1997/NCL Alaska ~ 2000/Renaissance Istanbul to Athens ~ 2001/Celebrity Horizon Southern Caribbean ~ 200?/NCL Boston to Bermuda ~ 2005/Celebrity Zenith Central America/Western Caribbean ~ 2006/RCCL L.A. to Ensenada ~2007/Celebrity Century Scandinavia & Baltic Capitals ~2009/Celebrity Infinity South America around the Horn ~ 2016/Viking Sea Midnight Sun ~ 2016/Viking Sea NYE on the Med

RIVER DAYS: 2010/Viking River Cruises "China's Cultural Delights" ~ 2013/Viking "Footsteps of the Cossacks" ~ 2015/Viking "Passage to Eastern Europe"

Save
92 Posts
Joined Mar 2017

Hi Missy, I don,t know if you have a DSW shoe outlet near you but I found quite a few models there. Then you can try them on and see what shoe you like the fit, feel and look of. We also have a TJMaxx/ Marshall's here and I found some Skechers shoes there as well that were marked down. I liked them so much I ended up buying my sister a pair for her birthday. Good luck Pat
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Boston MA
6,287 Posts
Joined Dec 2006

Silly me! If it is work shoes with a memory foam insole that you are looking for, try Clark's line of Cloudstepper shoes.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
The high value put upon every minute of time, the idea of hurry-hurry as the most important objective of living, is unquestionably the most dangerous enemy of joy Herman Hesse

AT SEA: 1983/NCL Caribbean ~ 1985/Premier DisneyWorld+Cruise ~ 1997/NCL Alaska ~ 2000/Renaissance Istanbul to Athens ~ 2001/Celebrity Horizon Southern Caribbean ~ 200?/NCL Boston to Bermuda ~ 2005/Celebrity Zenith Central America/Western Caribbean ~ 2006/RCCL L.A. to Ensenada ~2007/Celebrity Century Scandinavia & Baltic Capitals ~2009/Celebrity Infinity South America around the Horn ~ 2016/Viking Sea Midnight Sun ~ 2016/Viking Sea NYE on the Med

RIVER DAYS: 2010/Viking River Cruises "China's Cultural Delights" ~ 2013/Viking "Footsteps of the Cossacks" ~ 2015/Viking "Passage to Eastern Europe"

Save
Pennsylvania, USA
105 Posts
Joined Mar 2015
I don't see this in earlier responses: The World Cafe dinner dress code is what you wore during the daytime... no restrictions. Many change after walking all day just to be more comfortable, but it's not necessary. BTW, World Cafe has the same offerings as MDR, but you can play "mix and match" because it's buffet style. AWESOME gelato! Same wine/beer included. Our experience is that Viking cruisers do not wear aging Tshirts or things with holes... generally a "neater" group, but NOT "dressed up"! I think most men wore shirts with collars (polo or button) at dinner time out of choice, even in World Cafe... but not all of them.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Eaglewatchers (Candy and David)

Viking Homelands (on Viking Star), July, 2015
Tulips and Windmills (on Viking Bragi), Mar-April, 2016
Romantic Danube (Viking Jarl) May, 2017
Grand Pacific Explorer (Viking Spirit) 2019
Boston MA
6,287 Posts
Joined Dec 2006
Originally posted by eaglewatchers
I don't see this in earlier responses: The World Cafe dinner dress code is what you wore during the daytime... no restrictions. Many change after walking all day just to be more comfortable, but it's not necessary. BTW, World Cafe has the same offerings as MDR, but you can play "mix and match" because it's buffet style. AWESOME gelato! Same wine/beer included. Our experience is that Viking cruisers do not wear aging Tshirts or things with holes... generally a "neater" group, but NOT "dressed up"! I think most men wore shirts with collars (polo or button) at dinner time out of choice, even in World Cafe... but not all of them.
BINGO! That describes the demographic perfectly. I have been looking for the right words and you found them--"Neater but not dressed up." Thank you!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Save
92 Posts
Joined Mar 2017
Originally posted by eaglewatchers
wow that is a great description of what to wear . I love the sound of the world Café I'll probably be spending a lot of time there. Thank you so much for your input it really clarified things for me 😀Pat
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Boston MA
6,287 Posts
Joined Dec 2006
Originally posted by smithp7
wow that is a great description of what to wear . I love the sound of the world Café I'll probably be spending a lot of time there. Thank you so much for your input it really clarified things for me 😀Pat
Actually, those eating in the MDR dress the same as they do for the World Cafe (except no shorts allowed) and I find that other than self-serve vs table service, both are very comfortable places to dine. In truth, I prefer the MDR for dinner for multiple reasons but mostly, I think because the meal is more tranquil.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Save
Nottingham, MD
139 Posts
Joined Aug 2015
BINGO! That describes the demographic perfectly. I have been looking for the right words and you found them--"Neater but not dressed up." Thank you!
I agree, but I would not discourage someone who wanted to get a little bit dressed up for the MDR, or specialty restaurants. Not wedding wear, not heels, not sequins or lace or chiffon, but like you would wear to a nice dinner out. I like to feel a little bit more special than I do when going to our local Outback ( no slight to Outback!). The great thing about Viking, is within that range of "neat but not too dressed up", everyone is accepted.
Boston MA
6,287 Posts
Joined Dec 2006
I agree, but I would not discourage someone who wanted to get a little bit dressed up for the MDR, or specialty restaurants. Not wedding wear, not heels, not sequins or lace or chiffon, but like you would wear to a nice dinner out. I like to feel a little bit more special than I do when going to our local Outback ( no slight to Outback!). The great thing about Viking, is within that range of "neat but not too dressed up", everyone is accepted.
Agreed. At mealtime, except for shorts and T-shirts in the MDR/specialty venues, it is definitely, whatever floats your boat and folks are wearing whatever makes them happy.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Save
Michigan
1,431 Posts
Joined Sep 2005
EagleWatchers I did not realize that the World Cafe had the same offerings as the MDR. Lots of good choices...shrimp, salmon, steak cook to order but the MDR entrees too??? We loved the cold seafood /sushi selection in the World Cafe too!
205 Posts
Joined Jul 2016
Originally posted by deec
EagleWatchers I did not realize that the World Cafe had the same offerings as the MDR. Lots of good choices...shrimp, salmon, steak cook to order but the MDR entrees too??? We loved the cold seafood /sushi selection in the World Cafe too!
Yes, and you could mix and match in MDR too! Order sides from a different entree, ask surf and turf, want to try everything on the menu but can't eat this much- ask for small portions (they know what to do) or opposite - love that appetizer? Ask for a large portion
We always checked the menues in the morning and you could see that MDR and the buffet have almost the same offerings give or take a couple of dishes BUT the buffet has cold seafood station and MDR doesn't plus some extra comfort food dishes.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Viking Vili, Viking Skirnir-Grand European September 2016
Viking Star - Viking Homelands July 2017
Boston MA
6,287 Posts
Joined Dec 2006
Originally posted by vnb2003
Yes, and you could mix and match in MDR too! Order sides from a different entree, ask surf and turf, want to try everything on the menu but can't eat this much- ask for small portions (they know what to do) or opposite - love that appetizer? Ask for a large portion
We always checked the menues in the morning and you could see that MDR and the buffet have almost the same offerings give or take a couple of dishes BUT the buffet has cold seafood station and MDR doesn't plus some extra comfort food dishes.
Cold seafood buffet in the WC before heading in for a later dinner! (No, not every night, just a couple of times). I like seafood.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Save
San Antonio,Texas
673 Posts
Joined Jul 2014
Cold seafood buffet in the WC before heading in for a later dinner! (No, not every night, just a couple of times). I like seafood.
I just read the response and thought WC was water closet and that made no sense at all. I hate it when you have to pay attention to the whole thread!
Michigan
1,431 Posts
Joined Sep 2005
Peregrina...guilty as charged (loved the seafood)....just a quick piece of sushi, or crab leg, or 3 shrimp before getting dressed for dinner!!! Viking spoils us all!!!!