Is it possible Celebrity will cancel all San Juan for the Summit

jakzak10

Just curious if Celebrity might reposition the Summit to another port for the upcoming winter season. With all the destruction in San Juan and the possibility of no electric, wouldn't it make sense to put her in possibly, Tampa, New Orleans or similar for Western, Southern Caribbean itineraries and stay away from most hit islands for a while. Donations could be made to help make up some of the lost revenue the islands receive from cruisers. Presently booked on the April reposition and really not sure if we should purchase airline tickets and book pre cruise hotel that may not be fully functional. We have friends that live in Puerto Rico and finally heard they are fine, but they say it will take many months to restore any semblance of what we remember.

We cruise on the Summit Nov 11 and the islands we go to were not hit. They will substitute only one (St Thomas) . When I spoke to Celebrity they plan to keep the Summit cruises out of San Juan. In your case, just wait until 10/28 when the first Summit cruises begin and you will know for sure. Realize the Pan American pier where Celebrity goes out of did not sustain the same damage Carnival's pier did in Old Town San Juan.

We cruise on the Summit Nov 11 and the islands we go to were not hit. They will substitute only one (St Thomas) . When I spoke to Celebrity they plan to keep the Summit cruises out of San Juan. In your case, just wait until 10/28 when the first Summit cruises begin and you will know for sure. Realize the Pan American pier where Celebrity goes out of did not sustain the same damage Carnival's pier did in Old Town San Juan.

What department did you speak with? St Thomas is still showing on our November cruise, including tours to St John. I understand many islands will be substituted, just saying we haven't been contacted yet and cruise planner hasn't been updated with any changes. I do see the alert page updated through 10/28 Summit.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

According to Royal Caribbean's current update, they expect to get Adventure OTS in San Juan on Wednesday. With another month before Summit arrives it seems likely that it will sail from San Juan as planned.

Yes as noted by another poster the 3 day Royal Cruise scheduled to leave from San Juan has in fact been cancelled.

After a phone conversation with CC reps in the call centre in Wichita Celebrity has sent a team to San Juan to assess the situation. Should it not be viable to use the pier apparently there is talk of the ship sailing from somewhere in Florida. Of course all of this is speculation. There is still no word if the repo will go to San Juan and drop off supplies, etc.

Celebrity rep says they hope to advise later this week what will be happening.

This is a difficult situation for all, especially the juggling of ships and different ports.

Guess all we can do is show some patience and hope to hear soon.

As has been pointed out by many this in no way takes away from the pain and suffering that thousands are enduring due to Mother Nature. Our hearts (and wallet) go out to them all.

Celebrity just posted itinerary revisions for half of the Summit cruises out of San Juan for the remainder of 2017: https://www.celebritycruises.com/travel-alert

They clearly intend to sail Summit from San Juan as planned. Various port of call modifications - surprisingly, St. Croix is back on itineraries starting with the Nov 18th sailing.

Just curious if Celebrity might reposition the Summit to another port for the upcoming winter season. With all the destruction in San Juan and the possibility of no electric, wouldn't it make sense to put her in possibly, Tampa, New Orleans or similar for Western, Southern Caribbean itineraries and stay away from most hit islands for a while. Donations could be made to help make up some of the lost revenue the islands receive from cruisers. Presently booked on the April reposition and really not sure if we should purchase airline tickets and book pre cruise hotel that may not be fully functional. We have friends that live in Puerto Rico and finally heard they are fine, but they say it will take many months to restore any semblance of what we remember.

Nobody knows.

Nobody knows.

Summit has a lot of charters for the 2018 season in January and February. Not sure if they are scheduled to cruise from San Juan or from Florida. Last year there was a mix; charters from both of these ports.

As noted by a previous poster the Celebrity website shows all of the Summit sailings from October 22 thru to December except for the November 25 sailing. I would assume they have not shown that one as they are making no changes to it.

Summit has a lot of charters for the 2018 season in January and February. Not sure if they are scheduled to cruise from San Juan or from Florida. Last year there was a mix; charters from both of these ports.

As noted by a previous poster the Celebrity website shows all of the Summit sailings from October 22 thru to December except for the November 25 sailing. I would assume they have not shown that one as they are making no changes to it.

We are scheduled on the 11/25 sailing, and they are still showing st Thomas on the itinerary.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Our travel agent hopes to hear from Celebrity today regarding the 11/25 sailing as they also noticed like we did that it the only one as of now through December without any announced changes.

They were told on Monday that Celebrity was not planning on moving the ship from San Juan, but continue to use it as an embarkation port due to the thousands of guests with airfare. Of course, as this is a quite fluid situation, that could change.

Not sure why our November 11 Summit is not listed with modifications on the Celebrity website .....

Not sure why our November 11 Summit is not listed with modifications on the Celebrity website .....

It's not showing because there are no changes to your itinerary. As of right now, Celebrity plans on keeping the same itinerary. As previously posted, St. Thomas is accepting ships beginning mid to late October... and the other ports on your itinerary were not affected by the hurricanes (other than San Juan, of course).

I wondered the same thing, as we are on the 11/11. I read elsewhere that the 11/11 has no changes at all, and St. Thomas is back on the schedule. That means that we will sail the original itinerary we booked oh so long ago!

The Adventure of the Seas is scheduled to start cruising out of San Juan on October 7. This week it is taking supplies to the islands and taking evacuees to Fort Lauderdale. Then return to San Juan.

I don't understand RCL's thinking on the Adventure schedule. Is it reasonable that people need to be evacuated by ship from the island and the island will be ready for several thousand people boarding a cruise ship in about 10 days? Both RCL and RCL need to provide a reasonable assessment of San Juan's capability for the remainder of the year so people can adjust their plans.

A team from Celebrity is in PR now accessing the damage. They are to be reporting back by Friday. So hopefully we will hear back then. I have 2 concerns. The first is that we are flying in from SFO and we do not arrive until 8 PM. Right now SJU is only accepting flights until 5 pm. The second is that many of the hotels will not be up and running until Oct 31. http://puertoriconow.seepuertorico.com/

So time will tell.