120 day final payment on the horizon...

LMaxwell

If the last few years are any indicator (and they are), RCI will follow the policies that NCL seems most willing to roll out first. NCL just announced they will move to a 120 day final payment due date in the near future; I'd anticipate when their itineraries are released. Does anyone have any best speculation as to when Royal follows? I'll guess Royal adopts a similar policy any applies it to new bookings deposited after 3/1/18.

I was just reading about Frank Del Rio's announcement. Although I usually try to set aside the entire balance due, shortly after I book, I still like to keep that cash in my bank account! I hope that other cruise lines do not follow this pattern.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If you just make your reservation at 75 days out that will fix that problem. If enough people do that they will have to rethink ... What is with the managemental of cruise lines in the last few years, are they just trying to turn everyone off cruising? Every policy they come up with is more annoying than the last.

If the last few years are any indicator (and they are), RCI will follow the policies that NCL seems most willing to roll out first. NCL just announced they will move to a 120 day final payment due date in the near future; I'd anticipate when their itineraries are released. Does anyone have any best speculation as to when Royal follows? I'll guess Royal adopts a similar policy any applies it to new bookings deposited after 3/1/18.

In Europe we pay 1 month before departure date [emoji14][emoji14]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

After seeing some of the pricing differences between holiday cruises in 2017 and 2018, I think I will support a 120 day final payment deadline.

I'm doing my next cruise in a week, and it seems like everyone cancelled their reservation hours before final payment as room availability skyrocketed. Of course it could be RCCL playing games, but I'm doubtful. The price drop was significant. For cruises next year, the prices appear to be better overall to me comparing this year's prices with next year -- leading me to believe that folks aren't booking up a bunch of rooms only to drop them closer in.

A deadline of 120 days means less polarization in pricing, I think. With non-refundable bookings likely helping to keep prices more accurate, I think this will also put some pressure on folks who pay extra for the refundable rate to only cancel and rebook a refundable room closer in.

I'm sure most people hate the non-refundable rate deal, and most people will hate a 120 day deadline for final payment, but I think it's going to reduce my pricing risk going forward. I'm still sitting and waiting on booking my 2018 cruises even though I usually have them booked by now, and that's a good thing as I was one of the abusers of refundable rate bookings previously -- but not to a major degree.

Be thankful if RCI moved the final payment to 120 days - that means that price drops are likely to stay. Ability to do price drops is much more important than final payment date.

Are you saying that price drops would count after final?

Are you saying that price drops would count after final?

No, but the move of final payment further out is likely to indicate that price drops will stay. Price drops are a NA only thing and I'm sure it's one of the things RCI would love to do away with to line up with how bookings are handled in the other parts of the world.