Renting cameras and lenses

I'm thinking about renting a Sony a6300 and 16-50mm lens for our upcoming cruise on the Escape. For $220 I can use them for 2 weeks to my hearts content. My other option would be a Sony RX100.

This is the only way I can figure out how to test out a camera without actually buying it.

Any other suggestions? Has anyone used BorrowLenses or another online rental company?

Thanks,

Vic

I've used borrowlenses, it's a great service.

Though when renting, to me, I'd spend a little more and rent higher grade equipment.

What types of shots do you want to get on the cruise?

The 16-70 would cover walk-around, and be long enough for some good portraits and short telephoto work.

The 10-18 would be a really good addition for wide landscapes, wide interior shots, etc.

If you also want a long telephoto, then you add the 70-200/4. It's not a small lens, but not huge and it is very high quality. But if you want to keep your kit light and don't need telephoto, then skip it.

Then I'd consider a prime like the 24/1.8, the 50/1.8, or something in the 30-35mm range, for low-light shots.

If you're renting as a trial, with a likelihood that you might want to buy in the future, you can also buy it from someplace like Amazon with a 30 day return policy, and just return it if it doesn't work out as well as you wanted.

Yes, I'd be renting as a trial. I'm interested in testing out the camera more than anything else. I really like point and shoot convenience, photography (so far) to me is casual and about composition more than technicalities.

I do want to see if I like the mirrorless camera. At least instead of spending more money on more cameras, this way I'd start spending the money on lenses!

Any of you A6300 people want to sell me a used A6000 CHEAP? :p

Vic

I'm a big fan of http://www.lensrentals.com They even have an option on most rentals to buy it out at the end if you like it.

There are some reputable places to buy/sell used gear as well. I just did a quick scan on the forums at fredmiranda.com, and it seems the A6000 with kit lens is selling for right around $400. There was one that was $250.

I'm thinking about renting a Sony a6300 and 16-50mm lens for our upcoming cruise on the Escape. For $220 I can use them for 2 weeks to my hearts content. My other option would be a Sony RX100.

This is the only way I can figure out how to test out a camera without actually buying it.

Any other suggestions? Has anyone used BorrowLenses or another online rental company?

Thanks,

Vic

You should consider the total cost and effort for rent versus buy used and resell.

Renting lens can be a reasonable value, I've done the math several times for renting a camera. IMHO the value simply isn't there, you can score on many places a used camera and turn around and sell it a few months later with minimal loss, just don't buy NEW and shop with patience.

Of course if you want the latest greatest that is something else... then you might have to rent.

But if you want to rent, BorrowLens.com is good. They even bought one of my 70-200s once....I have heard a lot of good things about them from friends and since you are on the West Coast they are closer to you for shipping.

But if you want to rent, BorrowLens.com is good. They even bought one of my 70-200s once....I have heard a lot of good things about them from friends and since you are on the West Coast they are closer to you for shipping.

I've only ever used two rental places: Lensrentals.com, and Glazers Camera in Seattle (for an in-person rental while in town several years ago). I've never used BorrowLenses, but one of the reasons I stick to LensRentals.com for all but silly last-minute rentals (and potentially for Profoto lighting rentals that LensRentals doesnt' carry) is how they handle and test their equipment: EVERYTHING is bought brand new, and EVERYTHING is sold as soon as it reaches two years old OR has served for 40 weeks of rental service, no matter how good it is. Not to say that you didn't take care of your gear, but there's something to be said for consistently new gear for rentals (which will presumably get used more than owned gear for many people).

The other major differentiator that keeps me coming back to LensRentals is their optical testing and repair capability. They now perform about 50% of their own repairs, and often perform lens alignment corrections far better than the manufacturer's own repair depots. They're confident enough in their repair capabilities that for several brand new lenses, they've received their inbound purchase shipments on the morning FedEx truck, disassembled one of the lenses to document how it's constructed for a blog post, reassembled it, tested it, and sent it out that afternoon to a waiting customer who'd already been told their lens would ship (so there's very little margin to screw it up).

I've bought two cameras from them, a lens, and a studio lighting kit. Always top-notch stuff. On the rare occasion that something arrives inoperative, a replacement is on the way ASAP: one time a tripod's reversible mounting screw snapped in transit. They could have shipped me just a center post to save on shipping costs, but instead they shipped a whole tripod, and just asked that I send the other one back.

Good to know. The lens I sold was like new, I just happen to end up with two of them. Long story, not for here. My choice for rentals is Adorama Rentals because I am in the NYC Metro area and I can walk in. Never had a problem with any of their gear either

I've had good experience with lens and DSLR rentals from BorrowLenses. I typically rented when I needed a second camera body or extended zoom (Africa/Antarctica). The equipment was always in excellent shape and the quality of the photos only limited by skill of the photographer. The primary disadvantage I found is that there is no manual provided with the rental camera body. That said, I downloaded the digital manual and brought it along with me.

Bob

When renting as a "test" before buying, you really need to think twice on the price.

I find it's definitely worthwhile when talking about a $3000 purchase, and renting it for the weekend. So $100 to test a $3000 purchase, makes sense.

But if you are talking about a lengthy rental of cheaper gear... On the other extreme, I wouldn't spend $200 for a 1-week rental of $500 worth of gear. Because if you do end up buying it new, then you ended up spending $700 for $500 worth of gear.

No exact line, but the OP's situation kinda falls along the line for me. $220 to rent an $1150 purchase. (And does the $220 include the accident insurance and shipping?) So if you end up buying it, then you've spend $1370 on $1150 in gear --Paid about a 20% trial premium.

I'd suggest OP may be better off just buying it from someplace with a good return policy. Trying it out for 2-3 days, and then deciding whether to keep it or return it.

Or buy an older model (the A6000) used....Then after the vacation, either keep it. Or re-sell it. The re-sale value won't exactly change much in 2-3 weeks. So you end up just spending some shipping costs and possible e-bay fees. At most, you end up spending around $100 to "rent" an A6000 + lens(es) for a few weeks.

When renting as a "test" before buying, you really need to think twice on the price.

I find it's definitely worthwhile when talking about a $3000 purchase, and renting it for the weekend. So $100 to test a $3000 purchase, makes sense.

But if you are talking about a lengthy rental of cheaper gear... On the other extreme, I wouldn't spend $200 for a 1-week rental of $500 worth of gear. Because if you do end up buying it new, then you ended up spending $700 for $500 worth of gear.

No exact line, but the OP's situation kinda falls along the line for me. $220 to rent an $1150 purchase. (And does the $220 include the accident insurance and shipping?) So if you end up buying it, then you've spend $1370 on $1150 in gear --Paid about a 20% trial premium.

I'd suggest OP may be better off just buying it from someplace with a good return policy. Trying it out for 2-3 days, and then deciding whether to keep it or return it.

Or buy an older model (the A6000) used....Then after the vacation, either keep it. Or re-sell it. The re-sale value won't exactly change much in 2-3 weeks. So you end up just spending some shipping costs and possible e-bay fees. At most, you end up spending around $100 to "rent" an A6000 + lens(es) for a few weeks.

The counterpoint: we rented the Canon EF-S 17-55/2.8IS twice, at times when we owned crop cameras and didn't have a lens that served us well as a "first-alarm" lens (28-135, 16-35, EF-S 10-22) but couldn't yet afford to buy one. Both times, the IS unit acted up on us, causing an awkward optical effect in the viewfinder that made us nauseous, and sometimes doing it again at the end of a shot. We ended up having to "chimp" every shot, and essentially just didn't trust the lens. LensRentals said it had a high rate of IS repair, and they weren't kidding. As a result, we chose to NOT buy that lens, and saved ourselves money, headaches, and stomach issues. The two rentals were a year apart, and LR acknowledged a trend of rising IS issues then falling IS issues, so perhaps we were simply in the bubble of the curve.

I'm renting from LensRentals. If I fall in love with the camera I can buy it and they apply the 7 day rental price and a % of the rest to the purchase. I need it for a total of 14 days, so I don't feel comfortable buying and returning. I actually got a 10% discount by searching for an online coupon. It does include both accidental and theft insurance.

So, for less than the $220 I originally thought, I get to test it out thoroughly and return it without any hassle if I decide it's not what I want.

I consider it a bargain and I'm totally looking forward to it. Reading the threads on the 6300 and the 6000 I might want to add a lens. (this is how it always starts, right?:eek:)

Vic

You should consider the total cost and effort for rent versus buy used and resell.

Renting lens can be a reasonable value, I've done the math several times for renting a camera. IMHO the value simply isn't there, you can score on many places a used camera and turn around and sell it a few months later with minimal loss, just don't buy NEW and shop with patience.

Of course if you want the latest greatest that is something else... then you might have to rent.

This is most true for professional equipment. If you find the right deal you can use it as long as you need and make money selling it. I bought a slightly used 70-200 vr f2.8 about 10 years ago sold it a couple of weeks ago for what I paid for it 10 years ago. Zero cost for 10 years.

I currently own a 400mm f/2.8 AFs II that I will not lose if not make money on after years of owning.

framer