NCL or Holland America

caesarmaxy

I am having a hard time selecting my cruise for September 2017. I narrowed it down to two for about the same price

Holland America -(Eurodam) Neptune Suite, Back corner with wrap around balcony. Huge balcony and access to Neptune Suite

NCL(Pearl) - Haven Balcony Suite, Side of ship (small balcony, access to haven private areas)

We are not big fans of cruises but really want to do one to Alaska. We are not big on cruise activities and shows. Most likely will spend time walking around and being on our balcony or having a drink in the bar. I would like to pick the nicer cruise, with top notch service and with quality food. We will most likely spend each night in a specialty restaurant if not in port. Less interested in quantity of food and more with the quality.

Most of you seem to really know your stuff so I figured you can help me choose.

*Room/ship quality

*Food Quality

*Service

Thanks in Advance!

***Oh and there is the option of taking the Oosterdam for $500 less but this goes to Hubbard Glacier rather than Glacier Bay. I have been writing off Hubbard Glacier but really don't have a good reason as to why and would love to hear thoughts.

I am one, to dismiss the "must" claims of Glacier Bay. I certainly enjoy all the scenic sailing. Is the $500 attractive to you? Just writing on what is asked and your focus on the cabin and food? NCL has a large variety of specialty restaurants, HAL has fewer. Rave reviews are consistent for the Haven. Based on your stated priority (with no mention of Alaska) NCL has a slight edge.

I think it a big mistake to also, just "dismiss" choices, based on some slanted posts. Some times those posters haven't even been to other glacier areas, where I think for the claims, you should have sailed them all. :)

Be well prepared for Sept. sailing. It's not always the best weather. :)

I'd go with the Holland America hands down over NCL any day of the week.... especially if you say you're not cruisers and you say you want "top notch service and with quality food"

NCL is a step down from Holland American in quality.

Not true if you are cruising in a Haven cabin on NCL.

We are not big fans of cruises but really want to do one to Alaska. We are not big on cruise activities and shows. Most likely will spend time walking around and being on our balcony or having a drink in the bar. I would like to pick the nicer cruise, with top notch service and with quality food. We will most likely spend each night in a specialty restaurant if not in port. Less interested in quantity of food and more with the quality.

If you are not big fans of cruises, but really want to do one to Alaska, why not do one that leaves from Vancouver rather than Seattle? You get more time in Alaska and more walking around time in the ports.

Don't expect to be able to spend a lot of time on your balcony in September. The temperatures should be similar to what we encountered in late May. It was too cold for us to spend any time on the balcony after we left Vancouver.

My vote goes to HAL.... One of the special Alaskan opportunity is to see a glacier. Glacier Bay offers the best experience.

Yes, Vancouver is great bonus port to explore.... worthy of a few days.

Does it need to be September? It's Alaska's wet season. Ketchikan welcomes cruisers to watch them fill their rain gauge.

I mentioned before how nice I think the NCL Haven suites were, BUT after re-reading your initial post, I believe you would be much happier on the Eurodam in a Neptune Suite, if the itinerary suits your needs.

If you do choose the Eurodam, be sure to book the Tamarind for one of your dinners, as it is truly excellent.

I almost forgot to add that I thought the Hubbard Glacier was gorgeous (if you decide to go with the Oosterdam).

I have been on the Nieuw Amserdam (sister ship to Eurodam) to Alaska in May and have spent many hours on our corner veranda (aka aft wrap). You can indeed sit on your veranda even while the ship is moving and enjoy a nice breakfast out of the wind that everyone else on board cannot tolerate. Your veranda is large enough to hold 25 of your good friends while cruising in Glacier Bay.and you don't have to fight for railing space in the public areas.

Being just a few minute ride elevator up ride from the kitchen, all food orders should be hot and on time. Being just a few minute elevator ride down from the Lido Market, it is easy to make a pizza run to NY Pizza or just grab some cookies/cheese for a snack. An elevator ride down will leave you right at the door to the Main Dining Room.

The view from a corner aft stateroom is nearly 270 degrees of scenic wonder in Alaska and a treat for photographers.

The aft wrap staterooms are limited to eight per ship and are highly prized. If you are still contemplating one, it is probably no longer available..

Wow Thanks everyone. From your posts I gather that HAL seems to have more of a luxury appeal, yet the NCL Haven rooms seem to be on the same level. Unfortunately, September is our only opportunity, that is why I was concerned with Hubbard Glacier. I have read that if weather is bad, you will not see much. I definitely wanted to go the Vancouver route, as I do want to spend more time in ports, yet having a hard time finding one still available.

Crew News, I have a corner balcony on a courtesy hold until end of today. So the clock is ticking on making a decision! That balcony is definitely a reason why I am focused on that room. I am glad to hear that you can sit outside a lot of the time.

Im going to give it a few more hours but almost positive it will be HAL corner balcony to Glacier Bay.

Thanks again!

Crew News, I have a corner balcony on a courtesy hold until end of today. So the clock is ticking on making a decision! That balcony is definitely a reason why I am focused on that room. I am glad to hear that you can sit outside a lot of the time.

Im going to give it a few more hours but almost positive it will be HAL corner balcony to Glacier Bay.

Thanks again!

Since you are going to choose the HAL aft wrap, here are the menus for the Lido Market and Main Dining Room for your cruise:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/specialty-2/specifc-cruise-lido-and-mdr-menus/hal-7-day-alaska-2017-menus/

Here are the Specialty Restaurant menus:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/specialty-2/hal-regular-and-specialty-restaurants/hal-specialty-restaurant-menus/

Room Service:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/specialty-2/hal-regular-and-specialty-restaurants/room-service-and-breakfast/

• 2 weeks later...

We have sailed on both NCL in the Haven and on HAL in a Neptune Suite. I would choose HAL. While the Haven is nice, the Neptune Suites and lounge are of a higher standard in my opinion. If children are a concern, there should be less on the HAL cruises.

It depends on your taste. We have been on NCL eight times and can't wait to go again. We were not happy at all with HAL. Once was enough and would not go again. Too boring and too formal. Didn't like the food. We like lots of activities and lots of food and NO formal nights. We don't like fancy food or specialty restaurants so for us, NCL is a good fit. However for you, HAL seems like it is a better fit. It seemed more sedate and good for strolling on deck. To me both had good food but we aren't foodies. I think $500 is a good incentive as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

A really important note for Alaska (non-stateroom related). NCL ships in Alaska do not have a full-time naturalist on board, whereas HAL (and all Carnival-owned ships) do.

Our first Alaskan cruise had a naturalist, who would do presentations on the biology and geology of the region. She would come on the PA regularly throughout the day to point out things visible from the ship. For example, while sailing up the inside passage, she spent an inordinate amount of time explaining what we were seeing, how to spot eagles, if whales were in the area, etc. If you missed something (northern lights from the deck, the juvenile orca who breached next to our ship in Glacier Bay), she would secure photos from someone on board, and include them in her next presentation. Additionally, HAL and Princess feature a ton of Alaskan content on their ships: food in the MDR, enrichment programs and cultural activities onboard.

Our second Alaskan cruise was on the NCL Pearl, and it was more like Alaska-lite. We had a great time, but the most we got in terms of Alaskan content from NCL was the captain coming on board to announce "um, I think there may be whales on the port side" in his Scandinavian accent with pandemonium ensuing. With no naturalist to explain anything, it seemed like we were missing out on the prime reason you'd sail in Alaska.... it was pretty, but there was no one to explain anything. They did serve chowder in the Spinnaker on Glacier Bay day and bring Steve Hite (the singing conductor) on board in Skagway to do an afternoon show, which were both nice. Otherwise, the trip was identical to our other NCL trips... if there weren't glaciers and mountains outside the windows, you would have had no idea you were in Alaska.

One more thought: people tend to spend a LOT of time inside, sitting and watching the view go by in Alaska. The Haven give you options for this, for for normal passengers, we found the Garden Cafe to be way too small for this sort of sailing. Some sea days it was like the Hunger Games to get a seat at any point in there. We ended up in the Great Outdoors much more often, even if it was cold/rainy.

I have been on the Nieuw Amserdam (sister ship to Eurodam) to Alaska in May and have spent many hours on our corner veranda (aka aft wrap). You can indeed sit on your veranda even while the ship is moving and enjoy a nice breakfast out of the wind that everyone else on board cannot tolerate. Your veranda is large enough to hold 25 of your good friends while cruising in Glacier Bay.and you don't have to fight for railing space in the public areas.

Being just a few minute ride elevator up ride from the kitchen, all food orders should be hot and on time. Being just a few minute elevator ride down from the Lido Market, it is easy to make a pizza run to NY Pizza or just grab some cookies/cheese for a snack. An elevator ride down will leave you right at the door to the Main Dining Room.

The view from a corner aft stateroom is nearly 270 degrees of scenic wonder in Alaska and a treat for photographers.

The aft wrap staterooms are limited to eight per ship and are highly prized. If you are still contemplating one, it is probably no longer available..

Agree we had a corner aft cabin on Celebrity Infinity Deck 8, Family Ocean View with Balcony. It was an amazing cabin and balcony. You had to go through 2 doors to get into the cabin, cabin was really large and the balcony was almost as large as the cabin. The balcony had a large round table on it with 4 chairs and 2 lounge chairs.

We went this past May 28th and used the balcony every single day. Amazing views 270 degrees!

Jimbo:)