Princess airport to port transfer questions

Vacationdreamer<><

We have to fly in the day of our cruise and plan to use the Princess transfers, although we have not booked them yet.

Our flight is scheduled to land at 11:10 A.M. Do the transfer vehicles constantly arrive and depart? Are they every half-hour, or another timed interval? Do you get a reservation for a specific transfer time? How far is it from baggage claim? I'm just trying to develop the mental picture so we can be best prepared.

(I am traveling with a friend for a Mom's-cruise-getaway. I know it is smarter to arrive the day before. She knows it is smarter to arrive the day before [she actually missed a cruise embarkation once and had to meet the ship in Nassau]. But this trip would not even happen if it didn't fit precisely in an open window of time; coming the day before isn't an option. We are willing to take the risk because the cruise fare was $299 and it's a risk we can absorb. If worse comes to worst we will just have a Mom's-Fort Lauderdale-getaway instead. :D;))

Since the port is so close to the airport wouldn't it be easier to take a cab or Uber?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hmmmm. Ok. Would a cab be wiser for one reason or another?

Princess transfers are $19 pp. There are two of us. If it were a time saver or stress reliever or money saver to just go with a cab, I would gladly do it.

We have to fly in the day of our cruise and plan to use the Princess transfers' date=' although we have not booked them yet.

Our flight is scheduled to land at 11:10 A.M. Do the transfer vehicles constantly arrive and depart? Are they every half-hour, or another timed interval? Do you get a reservation for a specific transfer time? How far is it from baggage claim? I'm just trying to develop the mental picture so we can be best prepared.

(I am traveling with a friend for a Mom's-cruise-getaway. I know it is smarter to arrive the day before. She knows it is smarter to arrive the day before [she actually missed a cruise embarkation once and had to meet the ship in Nassau]. But this trip would not even happen if it didn't fit precisely in an open window of time; coming the day before isn't an option. We are willing to take the risk because the cruise fare was $299 and it's a risk we can absorb. If worse comes to worst we will just have a Mom's-Fort Lauderdale-getaway instead. :D;))

When you arrive there is a Princess rep. near the baggage pick up area. If you have a transfer with Princess check in with him/her. You will be guided to the bus area. The buses are the same ones that have dropped passengers off from the previous cruise. I can't remember exactly where the buses park and how far they are from the baggage claim areas. When they fill up they leave. The ride is only about 15 mins.

Would suggest a private taxi. Cost would be about $25 for two.

Lots of experience has taught us to never use cruise line transfers at most ports such as Ft Lauderdale or Miami. The reality is that taxis or Uber are cheaper, more convenient (you do not have to wait around for them to fill a van or mini bus) and more pleasant. You just claim your luggage, walk outside, and head to the taxi queue (or summon Uber) and you will quickly be on your way. Another issue with cruise line transfers is that if the line has more then 1 ship in port (this happens a lot in Florida ports) your transfer vehicle might stop at more then one ship (while those not alighting cool their heels waiting to move on).

Hank

What about LA? Princess or taxi (for 2 couples)?

We used a group shuttle, such as Prime Time or Super Shuttle from LAX. Cost was under $20/pp. But, if you are short for time use a private taxi or Princess transfer. The group transfers can and do stop at various places in the area according to passengers drop off locations along the way.

We used Princess transfer from LAX to the port in September of this year. It worked very well, we didn't have to handle our luggage even to get if off the carousel. No regrets. We met a few fellow cruisers while waiting for the bus, it was just fine.

You’ve all been so helpful! Thank you.

And another nice thing about taking a cab is that if there are just the two of you, you might meet up with one other couple in line that is also taking a cab to the same port ... and you can share it, even saving more money. You can identify them by the ship tags they are placing on their luggage. That is ... if that is something you are comfortable in doing. We always ask and usually cut our transport costs in half.

ok i am taking the Regal Princess on November 1, 2018....It is departing from NYC at the Brooklyn Terminal...I bought the Princess Transfer from JFK airport to the cruise terminal...I am not flying in from anywhere, as i live on Long Island...I am going to be taking super shuttle into the airport at baggage claim...as that is where i was told to me the Princess Rep at Jet Blue....Will there be a problem when i enter baggage claim with my luggage, or i just show my paperwork that i am sailing with Princess...Also do you think taking a taxi would be a wiser choice, than taking super shuttle?

ok i am taking the Regal Princess on November 1, 2018....It is departing from NYC at the Brooklyn Terminal...I bought the Princess Transfer from JFK airport to the cruise terminal...I am not flying in from anywhere, as i live on Long Island...I am going to be taking super shuttle into the airport at baggage claim...as that is where i was told to me the Princess Rep at Jet Blue....Will there be a problem when i enter baggage claim with my luggage, or i just show my paperwork that i am sailing with Princess...Also do you think taking a taxi would be a wiser choice, than taking super shuttle?

Interesting issue. Some might suggest taking the Long Island RR and then using a taxi or Uber. But you got me curious so I looked at Uber X pricing from Westbury to Red Hook. It comes up $42 to $57....which would depend on the time of day. Since you would be off peak pricing,,,,we would guess that an Uber car would cost you about $50 from your home to the port....and save a lot of hassles and time. Not sure what you are paying for Super Shuttle plus the Princess transfer...but in your case we would probably use Uber. But using the LIRR from Westbury to either Brooklyn or the Atlantic Terminal station (and then getting a taxi or Uber) is probably the most efficient and cheapest option. We don't like dealing with JFK when we have a flight...much less then as a transfer point.

We are going to Red Hook (this week) from the Gramercy Park area and Uber is about $30. Kind of surprised at the low cost coming all the way from your area.

Hank

Buy insurance!!!! It won't cost much for that cruise fare and is well worth the peace of mind.

Yes, you can enter the baggage claim to meet with the Princess rep for your transfer.