Finally Did It

Stella1250

I have always wanted to take a cruise on one of the Queens. My late husband was Scottish, and we made many trips to the UK over the years, loving all things British. He passed away before we could get on a cruise.

I have since remarried, and my new husband is also a great traveler. We have been all over, but never on a Queen. Why? We couldn't agree. I wanted a TA, and he was totally opposed. He did not want to spend 6 days on a ship, as he says " not seeing anything". We have done several cruises, Alaska on NCL, Panama canal on HAL, and most recently Norway's Fjords on the Koningsdam. Finally, we have found a compromise.

We have booked the QV for a Baltic on 7/16/2019. We are in QG 5190, a wraparound on the stern. There are 3 sea days, so I will be happy. We also have many ports to visit, so he will be happy.

So, tell me what to expect on Cunard. We don't need water slides and rock walls, and enjoy just being on the ship and all of the great ports. We both wore uniforms to work, so we really like to dress up. No problem there, although the tux is kind of scary for him. We may do a black suit with fancy accessories. We love different kinds of food, and learning about things. Thanks in advance for any advice. Can't wait!

I have always wanted to take a cruise on one of the Queens. My late husband was Scottish, and we made many trips to the UK over the years, loving all things British. He passed away before we could get on a cruise.

I have since remarried, and my new husband is also a great traveler. We have been all over, but never on a Queen. Why? We couldn't agree. I wanted a TA, and he was totally opposed. He did not want to spend 6 days on a ship, as he says " not seeing anything". We have done several cruises, Alaska on NCL, Panama canal on HAL, and most recently Norway's Fjords on the Koningsdam. Finally, we have found a compromise.

We have booked the QV for a Baltic on 7/16/2019. We are in QG 5190, a wraparound on the stern. There are 3 sea days, so I will be happy. We also have many ports to visit, so he will be happy.

So, tell me what to expect on Cunard. We don't need water slides and rock walls, and enjoy just being on the ship and all of the great ports. We both wore uniforms to work, so we really like to dress up. No problem there, although the tux is kind of scary for him. We may do a black suit with fancy accessories. We love different kinds of food, and learning about things. Thanks in advance for any advice. Can't wait!

Welcome to the Club.

Your first Grills experience will be one you'll never forget, but remember after this, there'll be no going back.

What to expect? Of course excellent food, service etc, but you'll also meet so many wonderful unpretentious people, who could end up being dear friends for life.

The joys of Cunard are many, embrace and enjoy, because Cunard, and it's guests, are wishing and willing to embrace you.

My suggestion is to take some ballroom dance lesson before boarding. You will get a much fuller Queens experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You do not need to go to the bother and expense of dance lessons to go on a cruise. Two left feet are fine. Really.

... We have booked the QV for a Baltic on 7/16/2019. We are in QG 5190, a wraparound on the stern. There are 3 sea days, so I will be happy. We also have many ports to visit, so he will be happy.

Hi Stella1250

I have to say that you both sound a perfect fit for Cunard, you're sure to have a wonderful time. The Queens Grill "experience" is superlative, I enjoyed it myself on QM2 just over a year ago. I am certain that your trip in 2019 will be the first of many.

Above and beyond the impeccable service on board, esp in QG, wonderful dining, Cunard "atmosphere" and lovely interiors, your fellow passengers will almost certainly be well-travelled, experienced, interesting, and friendly.

I made my first voyage with Cunard in 2006 intending that it would be a "one-time-only" trip. I am now addicted to taking as many crossings or cruises as I can every year, and always with Cunard.

Have a wonderful time :)

For our 40th anniversary my wife and I took our first and only cruise on the QM2 on a TA this past May. Other than week we was married and the week our first child was born, it was perhaps the most intense week of our lives. The North Atlantic, the QM2, the people, the music, the dancing, the food, the traditions and 7 days just focused on each other was such an amazing time. We are still walking on air. Expect everything.

Harold

:rolleyes:;p

I am thinking you now live across the pond, with the cruises you have taken and the the date you are going on your Q.V. cruise is the American way i.e. month first then the day, plus hubby not keen on a Tux. I am sure you will find it a wonderful adventure My wife and I love the Q.V. it is our fav ship, we have done over 50 cruises with Cunard and are doing the Baltic again in Aug 2018 the staff are so helpful nothing is to much trouble for them to help if you have any problems. The Baltic Cruise is great many good ports of call. Just enjoy.

I have read many reviews, but there is no substitute for an actual reply from a real person. You are right - I am guilty! I have lived in New York city all of my life.

The reason my husband does not like the tux idea is because he is kind of short and a little portly. He does not want to look like a king penguin!

I have read many reviews, but there is no substitute for an actual reply from a real person. You are right - I am guilty! I have lived in New York city all of my life.

The reason my husband does not like the tux idea is because he is kind of short and a little portly. He does not want to look like a king penguin!

There are all body types on Cunard, even shorter and more portlier, but cruisers do not care a jot what a person looks like in a tux, and will only see the person.

Might I suggest a tux with a vest, rather than a cummerbund? (I know I probably spelled that wrong. I haven't had to type that word often enough to commit the spelling to memory.) At any rate, my husband used to be portly, before he became a fitness freak. He was much more comfortable in a vest with his tux.

You will be spoiled.

In general, HAL is the line most similar to Cunard. (Perhaps P&O, but coming from the US, I have no direct experience) Similar shipboard ambience and passenger mix - except a touch more English. The QV & QE (and upcoming Q?) are based on the same Vista hulls (and descendents) as most of the HAL fleet.

While I love the warmth of the service on HAL, I find that, in general, Cunard staff are a bit better trained and refined. While HAL tends to be more traditional than other competitors like Celebrity and Princess, Cunard ups that to the next level, as evidenced by the dress code and traditional seating. (Although in QG, your table will be waiting for you whenever you wish to dine)

Queens Grill is a whole extra experience. The cabins and suites are lovely, service is impeccable, and the Queens Grill itself is wonderful. If there is anything special you'd like prepared, mention it to the maitre d' and he should be able to arrange it (one of the perks of QG).

...and as a "portly" gentleman myself, I grew impatient with cummerbunds squirming, rolling and shifting and swear by vests/waistcoats.

Edited by MarkBearSF