Question for Mobility issues, especially knees?

SeasTheDay12

I am hoping for some advice regarding using the tub in sky suites?

Last year I really enjoyed my sky suite and booked again for later this year. But now I am coping with arthritis problems in my knees, especially one that will eventually need surgery.

It was a struggle climbing in and out of the tub height last year, but the shower itself was easy and wonderful!

I have considered the handicap sky suite but they are positioned far aft on S class ships so the much longer walk becomes a problem. Add to that, they are unfortunately under oceanview cafe which means noise from rolling carts and meal change overs.

I even considered requesting an inside cabin for showers LOL - just kidding of course.

It really comes down to losing Luminae and Micheals Club perks.

I’m hoping some first hand experience or with family and friends will help me decide to take a chance and keep my S2 or think of losing favorite perks for a “just in case “ safety?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions

Debra

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I think you can get a non slip tub mat from the butler or cabin attendant which will give you better footing. Have you tried sitting on the edge of the but and slowly swinging your legs over it. Some might advise you to shower in the spa but that's a long walk. I have the same issues with my knees and solved it by booking Royal Suites with the separate shower. I even upgraded on our Alaska cruise on Millennium from a Celebrity Suite because the tub in those suites are nearly impossible, especially if you are short. Don't want to give medical advice but I got cortisone shots before our last cruise and they worked wonders.

Hi Debra,

We just returned from Reflection sky suite. I have had both knees replaced and was concerned when I saw the height of the tub. Turned out not to be a problem at all[emoji847]. I managed by sitting on the edge of the tub and placing one leg at a time into/out of the tub. There was the towel bar for support at the back of the tub area but I never felt I needed it. I did ask for an extra bath mat for the floor so it was right under the area where I got in/out to decrease chance of slipping on the floor.

Whatever you decide, enjoy your cruise!

I have known people who go to the spa to shower, not for this reason but to make it easier on their spouse to get ready. I believe you can even arrange for a locker there.

I do exactly that, let’s her have the time and room. Also have leg problems.

Don't want to give medical advice but I got cortisone shots before our last cruise and they worked wonders.

I have had 2 injections on different knees. The first one didn’t work and I went on to have a knee replacement.

12 years later problems started on my left knee, which lasted a year until I had one cortisone injection. It is 18 months since I had it and so far the pain hasn’t returned.

I think it depends on how far advanced the arthritis is at the time of the injection.

THANK YOU ALL so much!!!!

All great suggestions

I especially love the Royal Suite idea!!!! I was SO LUCKY to actually get one all by myself one cruise. I could have lived there FOREVER!!! For the bathroom alone!!!! I’m crazy enough to have enlarged pictures of the huge shower with the bench seat and rain shower with side handhelds! It’s the only cruise I left the ship with tears in my eyes! LOL. Maybe again someday but not now...

I called Celebrity and they can also provide the chair that they use in HC cabins as they will fit in the tub ok. But trying the side sitting seems safer as the chair would take up a lot of room.

Again thank you all for the suggestions!!!

Debra

I am hoping for some advice regarding using the tub in sky suites?

Last year I really enjoyed my sky suite and booked again for later this year. But now I am coping with arthritis problems in my knees, especially one that will eventually need surgery.

It was a struggle climbing in and out of the tub height last year, but the shower itself was easy and wonderful!

I have considered the handicap sky suite but they are positioned far aft on S class ships so the much longer walk becomes a problem. Add to that, they are unfortunately under oceanview cafe which means noise from rolling carts and meal change overs.

I even considered requesting an inside cabin for showers LOL - just kidding of course.

It really comes down to losing Luminae and Micheals Club perks.

I’m hoping some first hand experience or with family and friends will help me decide to take a chance and keep my S2 or think of losing favorite perks for a “just in case “ safety?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions

Debra

There was a couple of ladies in the sky suite next to us last year who were supposed to have an accessible cabin but did not get one. I believe some people have told us they got a step stool from their butler/cabin attendant and it worked fine for getting in and out of the tub.

It is high for me also because I am short and I need to use the hand rails to get out but not to get in.

Hi marycruz

Do you know if they used the step stool outside the tub and found places to hold on for balance when stepping over the side into the tub?

I mentioned Celebrity will provide the same chair they use in the handicap roll in showers. But having crawled in last year, I wonder if a stool inside the tub would cause more of a problem? Not enough room and lifting it inside and out again.

Thank you for the info- every bit helps!

Happy cruising

Debra

Hi marycruz

I mentioned Celebrity will provide the same chair they use in the handicap roll in showers. /quote]

Every wheelchair accessible stateroom we have had with Celebrity has had a built in shower seat (attached to wall)--not a separate shower chair which can be moved.

Great pictures CHEZMARYLOU!

That grab bar should help a lot! I don’t remember it because I only used the shower and would not chance knees in the tub ;(

Thanks for the link! Peace of mind is half the battle!

montgomeryfamily, I saw videos of handicap sky suites on cruise critic- they were for Reflection but I was assured SIL was exactly the same. It shows a removable chair so a wheel chair can be rolled in - which is what they confirmed to me and added it to my booking for special needs in my regular sky suite. Sorry I don’t have the link but out of my own curiosity - I will try to find the video again

Thank you for the heads up - just in case. Maybe it varies by M and S class or maybe something new ? You just never know. Same question can be asked with different answers but lucky I found a vacation planner there who double checks information.

Love our cruise critic help!!!! Thanks again to all!

Debra

Hi marycruz

Do you know if they used the step stool outside the tub and found places to hold on for balance when stepping over the side into the tub?

I mentioned Celebrity will provide the same chair they use in the handicap roll in showers. But having crawled in last year, I wonder if a stool inside the tub would cause more of a problem? Not enough room and lifting it inside and out again.

Thank you for the info- every bit helps!

Happy cruising

Debra

Debra

I believe they put it outside the tub and the people were able to get in and out easier because the stool also had rails on the sides to hold on to.

Hope this helps.

BTW I never saw the stool so can't say for sure, only what I heard.

After a fall in the tub in Estonia I always carry my own non-slip bath mat. I needed it in a Sky Suite because the section of the tub where you get in and out did not have the rough texture to keep from slipping. That surface was forward near the shower head, but not at the other end of the tub. A tub mat takes very little space and assures that I will always have one. Have a great trip.

Carolyn

Debra, the removable shower chair did not make sense, so I looked up a video of a wheelchair accessible sky suite on YouTube (posted by Affluent Journeys). The video included the bathroom and showed a pull down shower seat attached to the wall--not removable and no legs.

While we have never cruised in a wheelchair accessible sky suite on the S class, we have cruised in the Aqua Class on a number of ships and also in sky suites on two M class ships. The bathroom shower seat in those staterooms looked exactly the same as in the video for the Reflection wheelchair accessible stateroom.

The reason it did not make sense is that wheelchair users generally transfer to an affixed shower seat/bench or to a transfer bench or even o a wheelchair shower chair because if you remain in your wheelchair while taking a shower, the wheelchair will be soaking wet and doesn't dry quickly. So you are stuck in a wet wheelchair until it dries.

Perhaps you should clarify with Celebrity--this may be a shower chair which they have available for those who need one but don't have an accessible stateroom.

Hi Montgomeryfamily

I am having trouble getting the video to load due to poor internet connection speed at the moment, but I found the one you mentioned. Everything you said makes logical sense to me too!

When you attempt to get concrete answers and you call in, it still surprises me that if you talk to 3 people- you are likely to get 3 different answers... I have had 2 different so far.

I think it will just have to be a gamble and discuss in person if promises made are not kept. Down side, of course, is they don’t have anything onboard that will help.

And Carolyn, Doctor G also has a great idea which I will do! Bring a suction cup bath mat ! Then use hand rail, and swing legs over from a sitting position on the side of the tub. Sure wish I knew why the tub is so high unless water movement a factor but who knows

I can gamble and bring a mat and get extra floor bath towels or just get a cabin with shower or take a hike to the showers in the spa

What a pain in the neck to have to think so much about trouble knees!

Again. THANK YOU ALL for the input!!! Safe and happy cruising!

Debra