CCL Reflection vs. RCL Jewel for the Mediterranean difference of $1000, worth it?

I am getting quite impatient waiting for RCL to release its Mediterranean sailings for Summer 2018. I know, only a few more weeks. This morning while browsing around I looked at Celebrity and they have a similar itinerary to what Royal Caribbean is offering for the Mediterranean (out of Rome to Greece) on the Jewel of the Seas. Our son will be 12 by then but he has traveled with us all over and is comfortable in any environment. The price was not too unreasonable, so I put a deposit down and booked it. The price is about $1000 for the 3 of us more than what RCL is offering the same itinerary this year (similar cabin category). I am not sure what the prices will be like once they get released for next year, we will see. We have never been on Celebrity but always been curious. Do you think the price difference is worth it?

There was a time when I would have said yes just for the food alone. But, that's not really as true today. I still like X more for a number of little things. But, I wouldn't say that those little things are worth the $1000 difference. Our next two cruises are on the Oasis and then the Equinox (both 7 nights). The Equinox was about $400 more for the two of us but we are in Aqua Class which we have never tried before. We'll see if it's worth the extra $400 or not.

There was a time when I would have said yes just for the food alone. But, that's not really as true today. I still like X more for a number of little things. But, I wouldn't say that those little things are worth the $1000 difference. Our next two cruises are on the Oasis and then the Equinox (both 7 nights). The Equinox was about $400 more for the two of us but we are in Aqua Class which we have never tried before. We'll see if it's worth the extra $400 or not.

Rick, I do wonder what is a good premium cut off in terms of pricing to jump to Celebrity for the 3 of us for us to jump to Celebrity, $800, $500? DH is fine with either one, I've always been partial to RCL because of the family choices but this is such a port intensive cruise that it would not make much of a difference, I don't think, and we will satisfy our Celebrity curiosity. Royal has been good for us and DH likes the Diamond lounge a lot, I don't drink so it does not make a difference to me.

Rick, I do wonder what is a good premium cut off in terms of pricing to jump to Celebrity for the 3 of us for us to jump to Celebrity, $800, $500? DH is fine with either one, I've always been partial to RCL because of the family choices but this is such a port intensive cruise that it would not make much of a difference, I don't think, and we will satisfy our Celebrity curiosity. Royal has been good for us and DH likes the Diamond lounge a lot, I don't drink so it does not make a difference to me.

I agree about the Diamond lounge although you will be Elite on Celebrity and will have some free drinks. But, it's not the same as having a dedicated lounge which my wife likes for the coffee machine and I enjoy the evening drinks. Where the cutoff is - that's a tough one. Personally, I wouldn't pay $1000 more for Celebrity for a comparable cabin though.

Celebrity's S-class ships are beautiful. But, I read where the Jewel is having a major rehab this Spring. You'll get some other feedback here for sure!

Edited by ricka47

Isn't Celebrity offering some perks where you get to choose from a list that includes beverage packages, prepaid gratuities, OBC etc. That would explain some of the price differential and factor into the decision making process.

That deal is for sailings that go until the end of April 2018 and the itinerary I want is for June 2018. I am going to see what RCL has and if the price is still $1000 less or more than what I booked Celebrity for, I might cancel and go with RCL.

That deal is for sailings that go until the end of April 2018 and the itinerary I want is for June 2018. I am going to see what RCL has and if the price is still $1000 less or more than what I booked Celebrity for, I might cancel and go with RCL.

Post the same question on the Celebrity's board. I like both lines and have cruised on both ships, but will probably vote for the Reflection. On our last cruise we had many perks included on the price; free internet, gratuities, beverage package and OBC. IMHO even though Celebrity doesn't have a designated lounge for the Elite members, the perks on board are better than Royals. I really like the laundry coupons when we travel to Europe. ;)

Post the same question on the Celebrity's board. I like both lines and have cruised on both ships, but will probably vote for the Reflection. On our last cruise we had many perks included on the price; free internet, gratuities, beverage package and OBC. IMHO even though Celebrity doesn't have a designated lounge for the Elite members, the perks on board are better than Royals. I really like the laundry coupons when we travel to Europe. ;)

Good idea. I was hesitant to do that as the members on the Celebrity cruise critic board might be more biased and dismiss the price difference because they like it so much. But I am going to try it to see what responses I get. Thanks for the note.

We had to jump lines to do a Panama Canal cruise. I did like some of the extra touches Celebrity offered. The cold towels getting back on the ship when it was blazing hot, champagne when we boarded were nice as well as the rose in our room. We thought the offerings in the Windjammer/Ocean View Cafe were better on Celebrity. Shows were good and the Elite lounge was nice. I did miss getting coffee from the Diamond Lounge. At some point I will cruise with them again. I believe the Aqua class cabins on the Infinity are the same size as the Concierge class. I would do some research on Celebrity board about Blue. We found that menu didnt fit into our food tastes.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Forums mobile app

If Celebrity is running their usual Go Big/Go Better/Go Best or 123 Go promotions, it usually brings them closer in pricing with the included perks. We sail more Royal than Celebrity but in this case Reflection is hands down the better ship in all aspects than Jewel.

... IMHO even though Celebrity doesn't have a designated lounge for the Elite members, the perks on board are better than Royals. I really like the laundry coupons when we travel to Europe. ;)
The value of C&A and Captain's Club benefits is subjective, but I would agree that for quite a number of people X comes out on top. Celebrity Elite laundry benefit is equivalent to C&A D+ benefit, and X provides free dry cleaning of a suit for Elites, a benefit RCI never offers. X has 2 hours of free drinks in the morning at breakfast (if you are into that sort of thing) as well as 2 hours in the evening, BUT X Happy Hours end at 7pm, so late diners generally consider that a minus.

OP: CCL is the stock symbol for "CARNIVAL Corporation & plc", and I have never seen it used for Celebrity Cruise Line. You might see if the mods can change your thread title to "Celebrity Reflection..." or "X Reflection..."

The value of C&A and Captain's Club benefits is subjective, but I would agree that for quite a number of people X comes out on top. Celebrity Elite laundry benefit is equivalent to C&A D+ benefit, and X provides free dry cleaning of a suit for Elites, a benefit RCI never offers. X has 2 hours of free drinks in the morning at breakfast (if you are into that sort of thing) as well as 2 hours in the evening, BUT X Happy Hours end at 7pm, so late diners generally consider that a minus.

OP: CCL is the stock symbol for "CARNIVAL Corporation & plc", and I have never seen it used for Celebrity Cruise Line. You might see if the mods can change your thread title to "Celebrity Reflection..." or "X Reflection..."

YOu are right, did t think of CCL as Carnival.