All Things EARTH... part 2

Cruise Fashions & Beauty

Deck yourself out for your next cruise! What clothes should you bring, and what should stay at home. Offer up packing tips, and savvy shopping info, too
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 03:38 PM.
1,329 Posts
Joined Apr 2009
We did! In the lobby of the Hilton hotel in Prague before the trip! I really enjoyed the AMA cruise. We have done 2 more river cruises since then but on Tauck. One was a Tauck Bridges tour, with their family program and our small family, and one my husband and I just did in May that went from Berlin to Krakow. That was a great trip! We liked AMA so much that hope to some day do another trip with them. Have you done any more AMA trips?
1,042 Posts
Joined Mar 2010
Originally posted by alidor
We did! In the lobby of the Hilton hotel in Prague before the trip! I really enjoyed the AMA cruise. We have done 2 more river cruises since then but on Tauck. One was a Tauck Bridges tour, with their family program and our small family, and one my husband and I just did in May that went from Berlin to Krakow. That was a great trip! We liked AMA so much that hope to some day do another trip with them. Have you done any more AMA trips?
So nice to hear from you. Yes, that was a wonderful trip! We have not done another AMA cruise but would like to. It was an amazing experience. We have recommended AMA to friends who also really enjoyed their Christmas Markets Cruise. Sounds like Tauck is a good choice for family travel. Friends of ours prefer Tauck and have traveled all over the world with them.

Wishing you and yours an amazing trip.
Sharon
Colorado Springs, CO (originally Boston MA)
4,762 Posts
Joined Feb 2012
Alidor, ours is November 2019. We’re doing Vancouver to Hawaii with a week on Kauai and a week on Oahu. Our family event will be on Thanksgiving which falls on our actual anniversary.

Sent from my iPad using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
S.S. Norway, March 17, 1995
Rest all Celebrity or Royal
Galaxy, Feb 20, 2001
Constellation, Feb 22, 2006
Constellation, Feb 14, 2010
Solstice Jan 29, 2011
Constellation, Mar 24, 2012
Equinox, Feb 22, 2013
Equinox, Feb 21, 2014
Navigator of the Seas, Nov 30, 2014
Eclipse, Mar 1, 2015
Liberty of the Seas, Nov 13, 2015
Celebrity Solstice, Apr 26, 2015
Liberty of the Seas, Apr 23 & 30, 2017
Eclipse, November 26, 2017
Eclipse, September 22, 2019 (50th Anniversary Cruise)
Reflection, February 21, 2020 (Mardi Gras)
Reflection, March 2, 2020
Les & Melody
1,329 Posts
Joined Apr 2009
That sounds like quite a celebration! Is it me or does there seem to be more people celebratining their 50th? It seems a long time ago it was rare for people to do this and now it has become common.
1,042 Posts
Joined Mar 2010
Originally posted by alidor
That sounds like quite a celebration! Is it me or does there seem to be more people celebratining their 50th? It seems a long time ago it was rare for people to do this and now it has become common.
I think you are right and maybe it’s because people are living longer so more likely to make it to the 50th? On the other hand, with so many couples now putting off marriage until their 30’s, I wonder if this will hold true going forward?

We celebrated ours in June and plan to take the family on a cruise as soon as we can get everyone’s schedule sorted out. Our land trip to Italy with the family was amazing so hoping the cruise will be just as memorable.

Enjoying this thread as I love the earth colors and have learned a lot from the posters here. Bonus “meeting up” with you again
Camillus, NY (Syracuse)
3,519 Posts
Joined Feb 2008
Margaret, I love those pictures. There are so many beautiful places to visit, and those photos capture so many of them.

My daughter and I painted her room yesterday. It's a soft, dusty green. It is a very peaceful color.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Forums mobile app
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Laurie

Explorer of the Seas - August 2008
Explorer of the Seas - August 2009
Monarch of the Seas - May 2011
Freedom of the Seas - February 2013
Majesty of the Seas - November 2013
Freedom of the Seas - May 2014
Enchantment of the Seas - November 2014
Jewel of the Seas - May 2015
Brilliance of the Seas - February 2016
Allure of the Seas - June 2016
Brilliance of the Seas - February 2017
Adventure of the Seas - September 2017
Freedom of the Seas - April 2018
2,611 Posts
Joined Nov 2001
Laurie, our guest room is a similar color and everyone says how restful it is.

This is my "go through the closet and assess work clothes" week. I'm not planning on replacing anything but worn basics because my weight is finally starting to stabilize. I have another hormone test this month to see if we're nudging my scores in the right direction. My cold is finally winding down so I did Pilates today, yay for exercise. I'm seeing changes in my skin and nails so I think we're on the right track.

Someone turned off the switch for summer last night. It went from 90s to 60s overnight and we are headed for mid-70s days for the foreseeable future. We had another torrential storm on Friday and there are several big trees down in the lake. I feel bad for the people who lost a big beautiful weeping willow.

I purchased our last needed items for Africa, summer wool socks as recommended by Anita. I may have to buy some convertible pants but I'm holding off for now in hopes that the ones I have will fit by then. The next project is to make a list of our necessary lotions and liquids and see what I can convert to solid form or do without for two weeks. DH is easy: I'm the one with sensitive skin who needs more products, and specific ones at that. We made our appointment for yellow fever vaccinations, and I'm glad we did because the shots are in short supply.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Margaret

2017 Ruby Princess Baja Peninsula and the Sea of Cortez
2016 Windstar Costa Rica & Panama Canal
2015 Emerald Princess Western Caribbean
2014 Caribbean Princess Western Caribbean
2012 Dawn Princess Australia Solar Eclipse
2011 NG Islander Galapagos & Machu Picchu
2010 Windstar Costa Rica
2009 Victoria Prince Yangtze River Solar Eclipse
2006 Clipper Odyssey Vietnam
2004 Radisson Diamond Turkey & Greek Isles Transit of Venus
2002 Radisson Hanseatic Antarctica & South Georgia
2001 Windstar Virgin Islands
1999 Sky Princess Baltic Sea Solar Eclipse
1998 Radisson Paul Gauguin Tahiti
1996 Star Princess Alaska
Camillus, NY (Syracuse)
3,519 Posts
Joined Feb 2008
One thing I often forget about is how complex travel can be outside the U.S. you really have to do a lot of planning and research!

I think that is another reason why Alaska will not occur right away for me. Not only do I want more time for the trip, buti think I could really benefit from researching and planning.

Margaret, I will have a guest room soon, as my older daughter recently moved out. Her room doesn't need to be painted, and the color we painted it a few years ago is a light gray blue color.

Since the room went get a lot of use, I'm wondering if we should get a double bed or get a sleeper sofa. I plan to work on putting certain things in this room that I've had a while, but I don't want it to look like the home to the cast offs. I'm going to be selective and have a little fun with the decorating.

We just had the temp cool down too! We went for a ride earlier and I got cold!!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Forums mobile app
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Laurie

Explorer of the Seas - August 2008
Explorer of the Seas - August 2009
Monarch of the Seas - May 2011
Freedom of the Seas - February 2013
Majesty of the Seas - November 2013
Freedom of the Seas - May 2014
Enchantment of the Seas - November 2014
Jewel of the Seas - May 2015
Brilliance of the Seas - February 2016
Allure of the Seas - June 2016
Brilliance of the Seas - February 2017
Adventure of the Seas - September 2017
Freedom of the Seas - April 2018
Florida
2,329 Posts
Joined Mar 2010
Margaret , When we took our last big trip I found I needed less liquids than I thought . I brought a travel size container filled with shampoo that lasted the whole trip . I also bought a few travel size items and tossed them as we traveled .
Laurie , I would keep the room as is for awhile .Kids change their mind and move back.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
38 cruises -Carnival , NCL, RCL, Celebrity ,Costa
2,611 Posts
Joined Nov 2001
Laurie, I got a Soma 25% off coupon in my email today, maybe you have one too.

We're flying through Heathrow which is very restrictive for carryon: all liquids, gels, creams, and pastes have to fit in an 8x8" clear bag. I'm prioritizing sunscreen, bug spray, hair conditioner, face cream, rosacea cream, anti-itch and anti-biotic ointments, and toothpaste, and we'll see what room is left. Things DH and I share can go in his bag, I think. He's low maintenance, he just needs a teeny bottle of aftershave.

According to international rules, the airline of record from your starting point (in our case Delta going, KLM returning) determines your luggage allowances/restrictions. But once we leave the US, I don't trust that it won't be a problem if we are scanned again for some reason (if we follow US rules which don't include lotions and pastes). So, I am erring on the side of the most restrictive of our our flights and airports.

It is a bit freeing, actually, that we have to do with less. I've been giving myself no-makeup days to see how I feel about that. One of the results is that I think I have the wrong hair color (again).
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Margaret

2010 Windstar Costa Rica
Hamilton, Ontario
2,309 Posts
Joined Jul 2010
Lush makes a product called "Toothy Tabs" which is an alternative to toothpaste. They are small tablets about the size of an aspirin that you chew and then brush your teeth with. They foam up just like toothpaste and do a good job. They come in several flavours. They are packaged in small plastic bottles. I love them for travelling.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Zaandam July 2, 2018 14 Day Alaskan Explorer
Koningsdam December 10, 2017 10 day Southern Caribbean
Koningsdam April 2,2017 13 days Transatlantic Ft. Lauderdale to Rome
Koningsdam October 24, 2016, 16 days, Trans-Atlantic from Rome
Nieuw Amsterdam Nov 22 2015, 21 days B2B2B Caribbean
Royal Princess Mar 29/15 10 day Southern Caribbean
Nieuw Amsterdam Nov 30 2014 14 day B2B Eastern/Western Caribbean
Regal Princess Nov 23 2014 7 day E. Caribbean
Zaandam July 11 2014 Alaska - Tracy Arm 7 day
Emerald Princess Mar. 29 2014 10 day E. Caribbean
Maasdam Dec 6 2013 - 14 day Southern Caribbean
Maasdam Apr 1 2013 Eastern Caribbean 11 day
Grand Princess - November 2012 14 day
Emerald Princess - April 2012 10 day
Westerdam -South. Caribbean, Nov. 2011, 7 day
Eurodam - East. Caribbean, October 2010 7 day
2,611 Posts
Joined Nov 2001
Thank you for the excellent tip, Daisy!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Margaret

2010 Windstar Costa Rica
North Carolina
4,199 Posts
Joined Feb 2010
Before I forget...I want to say, Margaret...for bug spray...I completely 100% recommend Alpenglow.

http://www.alpenglowskincare.com/htm...epellent.shtml

It works against all kinds of biting insects, not just mosquitoes. ALSO...the big thing about it, because it is oil based, a little goes a very long way. You will not have to bring as great a quantity of this repellent. You can spray it on your hands and rub it everywhere you need it. Like a body moisturizing oil. And you don't have to freak out about getting your hands totally clean afterwards, too, trying to remove that poison before you do anything else with your hands.

The smallest selling size is 4 oz. I brought one with us to Alaska (we crossed our fingers that it looked normal enough for going through security and it did.) That said, we hardly used any on our trip. Like we didn't make a dent in the bottle really...for the 3 of us. You could package it in a smaller spray bottle and be totally good.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Some people celebrate their 20th anniversary...
But we know the real party is at 21 years!!!
2,611 Posts
Joined Nov 2001
Thanks, Anita, and good advice about decanting into a smaller bottle. Fortuitously, at the travel show where we found our safari planner I won a TSA liquids kit (in a contest about The Love Boat!!) so I have some small spray bottles.

From my reading it appears that the lodges do provide bug spray, but I'd like a backup for on the road and for DH if he doesn't do well with what's provided. I always say that if there was one mosquito in the state, it would find him and bite him 20 times. His bites swell up like crazy and take days to go away. Kim said the tse tse flies were much worse than the mosquitoes and the bites were painful. So, I'd rather be over-prepared. I also have some bug wipes that won't count as liquid, if I have room for them.

Our next big trip, hopefully, will be to Chile or Argentina in December 2020, which is a long time to wait! That bargain cruise from NY-San Juan is apparently a regular thing, so perhaps next fall it will work for us? Perhaps a few days post in PR? We've never been there.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Margaret

2010 Windstar Costa Rica
4,762 Posts
Joined Feb 2012
Margaret, PR is nice (@ least it was before the hurricane). We’ve stayed out on the peninsula & in old town (prefer old town). Hop on/hop off is great

Sent from my iPad using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Galaxy, Feb 20, 2001
Solstice Jan 29, 2011
Equinox, Feb 22, 2013
Equinox, Feb 21, 2014
Eclipse, Mar 1, 2015
Les & Melody
4,762 Posts
Joined Feb 2012
Laurie! We have Red Sox tickets for September 7 against the Astro’s. We really lucked out & got Rally Rooter club RF box seats! Melody

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Galaxy, Feb 20, 2001
Solstice Jan 29, 2011
Equinox, Feb 22, 2013
Equinox, Feb 21, 2014
Eclipse, Mar 1, 2015
Les & Melody
Florida
2,329 Posts
Joined Mar 2010
Margaret , With your husband's reaction to mosquito bites I would pack some Benadryl . It sounds like he might be a little allergic to them.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
38 cruises -Carnival , NCL, RCL, Celebrity ,Costa
2,611 Posts
Joined Nov 2001
Yes, he's very allergic to bites in general. We always bring Benadryl because he's allergic to lots of things. The last time we went horseback riding together (before his hip surgery), we actually packed an outfit for him to wear that went directly into a plastic bag when he was done so it wouldn't affect him just having it in our cabin. I planned the day so that we rode in the morning then spent the afternoon at a resort, so he was able to shower right away. It was the only time he needed long pants so we didn't bother with doing laundry on that vacation just for his pants.

The last time we flew to Florida we had aisle seats across from each other. I switched seats with him because a passenger had a support dog on his lap in his row. He doesn't even have to touch it to have issues.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Margaret

2010 Windstar Costa Rica
1,317 Posts
Joined Mar 2017
Margaret, my family also has allergy issues. In addition to Benadryl you might want Claritin (or another long lasting, non drowsy anti-histamine). Our doctors have recommended the longer lasting vs Benadryl, and pharmacists have confirmed that you can double-up on anti-histamines as long as they are different active ingredients (of course check with your doctor too )